French Engineering-A Thing To Behold

Ah, well - these are the folks who pinned all their hopes for withstanding Hitler on the Maginot Line. Only snag was, the Line ended at the Belgian border. Hitler WENT AROUND IT.

Go figure.

musicman said:
Ah, well - these are the folks who pinned all their hopes for withstanding Hitler on the Maginot Line. Only snag was, the Line ended at the Belgian border. Hitler WENT AROUND IT.

Go figure.

LOL and a few German paratroopers took out what was left and used it !

I'm racking my brain, trying to think of a faster, more complete collapse of a supposed world power. I can't.

Merlin1047 said:
Yes, it was taken by an American spy working for the Otis elevator company. They sent him out on a mission to discover how NOT to build an elevator and I think he struck paydirt.

And that's the truth. Trust me. I'm at least as honest as Chirac.
Than you can't be very honest...Chirac sure isn't the most honnest person in the world. I did think it was a funny picture though. I just think its easy to point to somehting like that and make fun of another country. I don't see how that speaks for french architecture, unless it was like that all over.

musicman said:

Go figure.

Here's the best part. Germany went through Belgium during the FIRST world war.

Hobbit said:

shhh dont tell the French that. They have never been beaten in battle...alright so i couldnt say that with a straight face any more than you guys are reading it with one.

shhh dont tell the French that. They have never been beaten in battle...alright so i couldnt say that with a straight face any more than you guys are reading it with one.
You cannot beat somebody that isn't there!

JUST KIDDING!!!!!

Hobbit said:

Hans and Pierre are sitting in a bar, watching the evening news on television. The lead story shows film of a man on top of a tall building, threatening to jump. Hans says, "Five dollars says he jumps." Pierre takes the bet. Sure enough, the guy jumps.

Hans says, "I can't take your money. I saw this story on the early news." Pierre says, "Yeah - I saw it , too. I never thought the asshole would jump AGAIN!"

musicman said:
Hans and Pierre are sitting in a bar, watching the evening news on television. The lead story shows film of a man on top of a tall building, threatening to jump. Hans says, "Five dollars says he jumps." Pierre takes the bet. Sure enough, the guy jumps.

Hans says, "I can't take your money. I saw this story on the early news." Pierre says, "Yeah - I saw it , too. I never thought the asshole would jump AGAIN!"
:teeth:

Kathianne said:
I know this is mean, too bad:

http://www.banterist.com/archivefiles/000214.html

Scroll down to the elevator, somehow I don't think this would pass the American's With Disabilities requirements. :tng:

That is amusing, but have you ever been to France?

I have. Those building are hundreds of years old, built long before electricity, much less elevators.

These old buildings have been retrofitted with elevators (mostly Otis brand that I've seen). They are quite small (about phone booth sized) to fit the old, smaller architecture of the day.

These aren't buildings designed with elevators in mind, and it's quite a task to shoe horn modern technology into an ancient stone building.

Andy

Merlin1047 said:
Yes, it was taken by an American spy working for the Otis elevator company. They sent him out on a mission to discover how NOT to build an elevator and I think he struck paydirt.

And that's the truth. Trust me. I'm at least as honest as Chirac.

Many of those retrofitted elevators are made by Otis.

Andy

Forum List

Back