[French Cuisine] Some easy recipes!

Damienfr

Jul 2, 2012
Grenoble, France
Hello all,

I do not know if some are interested by the french cuisine, but I'll make a topic with some recipes, easy enough, that does not require a large level, for everyone who wants to try.

(I apologize for my english, not perfect)

Recipe No. 1: Stuffed Tomatoes (Tomates Farcies)

- Difficulty : Very easy
- Preparation time : Approximately 10 minutes
- Cooking time : Approximately 40-50 minutes
- Number of people : 4

qGh5k.png

What you need? (Ingredients)

- 4 tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 400g (14 ounce) seasoned meat mix (or "hashed" ground burger)
- A jar of mustard
- Breadcrumbs
- Salt
- Pepper
- Espelette pepper (optional if you do not)
- 200g (7 ounce) Rice

Step by Step:

1) Cut tomatoes and dig it. (keep the "top" of tomatoes for later)
Season inside with salt and let drain for 5 min.

2) Take a bowl and put your meat inside (400g / 14 ounce), add 2 tablespoon of mustard (30g / 1 ounce) and mix

3) Mix and pepper inside of tomatoes with pepper and add a pinch of Espelette pepper and two tablespoon of breadcrumbs (30g / 1 ounce).

4) Garnish the tomatoes with the preparation of your bowl, and add the "hats".

5) Sprinkle olive oil on bottom of dish and bake for 45 minutes at 145 ° C (preheated oven).

6) Serve your meal with rice

7) Bon appetit !

End of my first recipe, if if this topic interests you, I will post new recipe in the future.
Enjoy !

Last edited:
Looks good.
A little constructive criticism (I hope :redface:)

Meat hash, to the best of my knowledge we have no American equivalent, unless you mean roast beef or corned beef hash which contains potatoes. :dunno:

Americans don't use metric and most are probably to lazy to convert. :dunno:

Meat hash, to the best of my knowledge we have no American equivalent, unless you mean roast beef or corned beef hash which contains potatoes. :dunno:
Oh, hmmm ...

The best thing to do, it's to take a "beef steack" (to the butcher or frozen steaks) (like this picture)

And after having it defrosted, do like this picture

PS : if you can tell me the best way to say, I would change the paragraph in my topic ?

Americans don't use metric and most are probably to lazy to convert. :dunno:
Oh, right ! I forgot this !

I'll think about it (and make changes)

thank you for your advice

Recipe No. 2: Croque Monsieur

- Cooking time : Approximately 10 minutes

5Rk0y.jpg

- 8 slices of sandwich bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese (Emmenthal)
- 4 slices of ham
- Grated cheese
- Butter
- Flour
- Pepper
- Milk

Step by Step:

1) Prepare a bechamel (see "below" of the recipe for "bechamel", it is a base)

2) Place your 4 bread slices on your work surface, then dispose your slice of Emmental cheese on top, and finally, add the ham. (you can add a little pepper on the ham)

3) Add butter on other slice of bread, and "close" your croque monsieur

4) Add your bechamel on top, and put a little grated cheese, to "broil" all

5) Place them on a hot plate in a furnace at 220 ° C (430 ° F).
And let them brown 10 minutes.

6) Bon appetit !

How to make a bechamel

- Melt butter (1 minute in microwave)
- Place the butter in saucepan, and put in "low fire"
- Add flour (stirring well), boil for a few seconds.
- Add the milk into your "Butter and flour" mixture (whisking)
- Add a little salt
- It's ready !

Recipe No. 3: Salade de Chèvre Chaud (Salad with Hot Goat Cheese)

- Number of people : 2

u9oLp.png

- Salad
- 4 small goat cheeses

(the best "goat cheese" for this recipe is : "chavignol", but you can also take "Pélardon" or "Picodon", or a simple log of goat of supermarket)

- Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Mustard
- Salt
- Pepper
- One egg
- A few walnuts
- 1 slice of sandwich bread

Step by Step:

1) Clean and cut your salad.

2) Prepare your sauce "vinaigrette" (sorry, i dont know the english word) :add in a bowl: one half teaspoon of mustard, one egg yolk, salt, pepper and one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and mix by adding, slowly, a little of olive oil.

3) Mix your salad and your sauce, then serve it in a plate.

4) Take your slices of bread, and put in a toaster, then cut each slice into 4 equal parts.

5) Take your slices of bread, and put in a toaster, then cut each slice into 4 equal parts. Add a little olive oil on your bread slice, place a cheese, then put the (not long) in the furnace (preheated)

6) Get out your little cheese bread, and place them on your salad, adding on top, a few walnuts. And serve the plate ... while it's still hot!

7) Bon appetit !

Variations that we can find in our restaurants:

1) - You can substitute olive oil over the cheese, and on your salad, by a sauce "foie gras" (just take foie gras, and melt it in a saucepan) but its a little bit more expensive.
2) - You can replace the walnuts and bread with bacon (that you cooked in a frying pan) (like the picture)

Last edited:
Thanks for the recipes, Damien : )

Your English is much better than my French!

I'd like to assist you, if I may: I believe you mean 'broiler' or 'toaster oven' above, where you've said 'furnace'.

A furnace is what burns whatever we're using to heat our home (usually natural gas or fuel oil) - electric heat is too expensive for most parts of the US.

Your ?faux pas did provide me with an amusing mental picture of a (blonde, of course!) homemaker belly-down on the basement floor, trying to toast the cheese and bread over the pilot light for her furnace.....

Recipe No. 2: Croque Monsieur

5Rk0y.jpg

- 8 slices of sandwich bread
- 8 slices Swiss cheese (Emmenthal)
- 4 slices of ham
- Grated cheese
- Butter
- Flour
- Pepper
- Milk

Step by Step:

1) Prepare a bechamel (see "below" of the recipe for "bechamel", it is a base)

2) Place your 4 bread slices on your work surface, then dispose your slice of Emmental cheese on top, and finally, add the ham. (you can add a little pepper on the ham)

3) Add butter on other slice of bread, and "close" your croque monsieur

4) Add your bechamel on top, and put a little grated cheese, to "broil" all

5) Place them on a hot plate in a furnace at 220 ° C (430 ° F).
And let them brown 10 minutes.

6) Bon appetit !

How to make a bechamel

- Melt butter (1 minute in microwave)
- Place the butter in saucepan, and put in "low fire"
- Add flour (stirring well), boil for a few seconds.
- Add the milk into your "Butter and flour" mixture (whisking)
- Add a little salt
- It's ready !
One of my favorite things I brought back with me (used to live in France). Easy supper when not all that hungry or have all that much time. And, the bechamel MUST have enough salt and pepper (preferably white pepper). Just my experience.

Try it with an English Muffin for the bread. Not bad.

Recipe No. 3: Salade de Chèvre Chaud (Salad with Hot Goat Cheese)

- Number of people : 2

u9oLp.png

- Salad
- 4 small goat cheeses

(the best "goat cheese" for this recipe is : "chavignol", but you can also take "Pélardon" or "Picodon", or a simple log of goat of supermarket)

- Olive oil
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Mustard
- Salt
- Pepper
- One egg
- A few walnuts
- 1 slice of sandwich bread

Step by Step:

1) Clean and cut your salad.

2) Prepare your sauce "vinaigrette" (sorry, i dont know the english word) :add in a bowl: one half teaspoon of mustard, one egg yolk, salt, pepper and one tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and mix by adding, slowly, a little of olive oil.

3) Mix your salad and your sauce, then serve it in a plate.

4) Take your slices of bread, and put in a toaster, then cut each slice into 4 equal parts.

5) Take your slices of bread, and put in a toaster, then cut each slice into 4 equal parts. Add a little olive oil on your bread slice, place a cheese, then put the (not long) in the furnace (preheated)

6) Get out your little cheese bread, and place them on your salad, adding on top, a few walnuts. And serve the plate ... while it's still hot!

7) Bon appetit !

Variations that we can find in our restaurants:

1) - You can substitute olive oil over the cheese, and on your salad, by a sauce "foie gras" (just take foie gras, and melt it in a saucepan) but its a little bit more expensive.
2) - You can replace the walnuts and bread with bacon (that you cooked in a frying pan) (like the picture)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Merci bien

Refreshing lunch from down near Pays Basque:

Jambon de Bayonne (substitute proscuitto) - VERY thinly sliced
Baguette - preferrably bien cuit - crusty

Fresh tomatos - try to get heritage ones - tomatoes that taste like tomatos. Campari are good in a pinch
Extra virgin olive oil - don't skimp on quality, here. Get the good stuff.
Salt.

If you have time, boil some water and when rolling, drop the 'maters in the water for LESS than a min. Take them out and the skins should just slip off.

Dice the tomatoes and make sure all the juice from the chopping board goes into the bowl. Salt the tomatoes - really, don't skimp on that, either. Then add the olive oil so that the mixture is about as fluid as a Mexican salsa. But, get enough olive oil in there so you can taste it.

That's it. Any other flavors, IMO, drown out the freshness of this lunch.

Break off a piece of bread (for crap's sake, don't slice the bread). Put a single slice of the ham on top, then cover with two tablespoons of the tomato stuff.

Pour yourself a very cold drink (not beer, too much flavor) and eat. Pernod over ice with half water was great with this. Great lunch for hot days. Great beach fare, too. Prep each 'sandwich' on the spot.

Thanks for the recipes, Damien : )
:)
A furnace is what burns whatever we're using to heat our home (usually natural gas or fuel oil) - electric heat is too expensive for most parts of the US.

Your ?faux pas did provide me with an amusing mental picture of a (blonde, of course!) homemaker belly-down on the basement floor, trying to toast the cheese and bread over the pilot light for her furnace.....
Oh, LOOOOL ! Ok sorry ! Thanks for the info !

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Merci bien
Avec grand plaisir !

that first one will be good for when the toms in my garden start ripening too many at a time.

thanks

'Taint nuthin like a Jersey mater.......YUUUUUUUMMMMMM!!!!

My sister's raising some in her back yard - I think I NEED to go down to visit her in a couple of weeks : ))

Question for Si Modo: Is 'jambon de Bayonne' anything like the dry-cured ham that's a specialty of the Barcelona area?

Forum List

Back