French Asking, "Why Do They Hate Us?"

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Links at site:

http://volokh.com/archives/archive_2005_08_21-2005_08_27.shtml#1124746346

[David Kopel, August 22, 2005 at 5:32pm]
Why do they hate France?

The August 6-19 issue of the weekly France-Amerique edition of Le Figaro (one of the two top daily newspapers in France) contains a fascinating article on hostility to France. Historian Jan Eichler, in "Le tentation de le francophobie" (The francophobe temptation), examines the sources of the strong anti-French sentiment in central and eastern Europe, with special reference to the Czech Republic. He notes that when asked for an explanation, Czechs cite the "trahison de Munich" (treason/betrayal of Munich).

Eichler explains, however, that the Munich citation has two distinct meanings. For some Czechs, it is simply a literal memory of a terrible act by the French government, which led to tremendous suffering for Czechoslovakia.

Other Czechs, he elaborates, use "Munich" as a shorthand for what they see to be France's failure to support the robustly pro-freedom American policies in Europe. For the latter group, the list of grievances includes some events which were well-known at one time, which have been forgotten by almost all Americans, but which are vividly remembered by many Czechs--such as France's withdrawl from the NATO military command during the DeGaulle presidency.

These pro-American Czechs resent French criticism of the "american way of life." They repeat the arguments of "la fameuse 'Reagan victory school'", which they believe won the Cold War (la guerre froid) and which the Czechs believe can also win the terror war. As the subhead of Eichler's commentary states, "Les nouveaux pays de l'UE, seduits par les theses neoconservatrices, optent pour l'atlantisme." (The new nations of the EU, seduced by the neo-conservative theses, opt for Atlanticism.)(Accent marks are omitted from the French headline.)

UPDATE: A few commenters are wondering about how many important daily newspapers there are in France. The French are blessed with many good daily newspapers, although, sadly, they do not publish on Sunday. However, Le Monde and Le Figaro are the two most important--especially for non-Communist readers. The monthly Le Monde Diplomatique probably has the biggest influence outside of France, with Fig's various international editions coming in second. The daily editions of Le Monde and Le Fig certainly have a huge lead over any other French newspaper for newsstand distribution in England, Germany, and Switzerland, based on my own observations.

P.S. Personally, I adore France's culture and its many historic contributions to Western civilization. Although I was appalled by France's pro-Saddam policies, it is important to remember that France has often played a very constructive role in the War on Terror--including sharing intelligence with the U.S., and helping to force Syria out of Lebanon. But I also understand why Czechs and other peoples who suffered under the Warsaw Pact for so many decades would be especially vigilant about wanting to side with nation that took the lead in their own liberation.
11 Comments

People hate the French because their language sounds like someone with a ball gag in their mouth and the women don't wash their private parts. Besides that they're OK.

rtwngAvngr said:
I hate them because they're gutless, anti american, narcissists.

That sums up my opinion of them. However I would use a capitol 'N' as this is their greatest fame. Actually gutless they are famous for too so go ahead and put a 'G' there. They are anti American because for those two reasons so lets go ahead and capitolize AA (hmm). I agree and that is the best I can say about them.

nucular said:
People hate the French because their language sounds like someone with a ball gag in their mouth and the women don't wash their private parts. Besides that they're OK.

you live in brett farvers locker.....why would you care what some french hoe's cookie smells like? :suck:

nucular said:

now you are on to why people did not like Nazi Germany.

It was just the sound of the language. :cool:

nosarcasm said:
now you are on to why people did not like Nazi Germany.

It was just the sound of the language. :cool:

both of you, stop it. :egads:

well...the worth is that it can be not humour, and you can really think that...

Do you read sometimes my answers in the thread about "French hate USA" ? it seems like you don't.

i will take only one things, the rest, about us, sucks, you generalize to a whole population... well, the language :

personly, I love french, the fact i'm French does a lot for it, sure ;)

But if it's a such ugly language, why was it the 1st language and the elite's language, during the XVIIIth c. ? why was it the diplomacy language ? (and still now) ? Why does the Vatican write its official papers in French ?

I think you've nothing against french language, but you have to bash something.

Anyway, thank Kathianne, interesting article.

(Can you explain one thing to me ? i've heard about the "French tuesday" in NYC, but i don't really know what is it, I heard it's a party)

I don't hate the french. I dont think they are worth the effort it takes to hate.

But honestly I dont know how they can claim they are surprised that people dont like them. I mean the attitudes and the stubborness to oppose everything good for the world isn't exactly condusive to being well liked. I think people just get tired of whining.

I cant believe no one brought up snootyness, probably the single most well known stereotypical french attribute.

padisha emperor said:
(Can you explain one thing to me ? i've heard about the "French tuesday" in NYC, but i don't really know what is it, I heard it's a party)

It is called Fat Tuesday in New Orleans. But it is the Party Catholics hold just before Ash Wednesday and their 40 day fast.

They call it French Tuesday in some places as it is mostly a French-American thing.

deaddude said:
I cant believe no one brought up snootyness, probably the single most well known stereotypical french attribute.

I think that was mentioned in the Narcissistic post...

I think that most Americans do not like the French government because of the way they seem to actively work against the US in almost every instance. Shoot the guy that won the Presidency has even stated he wanted France to lead a EU that would be a Counterbalance to the US (in other words take opposing sides simply because he doesn't like the US).

I think most Americans don't particularly like the French people they meet because they are tired of the way the French look down on them. Even after we saved their bacon so many times. It is sickening to have people who often know nothing of our culture attempt to degrade Americans because of a perceived provinciality (or more commonly called "Americans are all just Hicks" to them.)

padisha emperor said:
well...the worth is that it can be not humour, and you can really think that...

Do you read sometimes my answers in the thread about "French hate USA" ? it seems like you don't.
Sure I do, I mean did. However PE, you are not 'typical' from any polls of French I've seen.
pe said:
i will take only one things, the rest, about us, sucks, you generalize to a whole population... well, the language :

personly, I love french, the fact i'm French does a lot for it, sure ;)
Don't blame me for another's words, they are not mine!
pe said:
But if it's a such ugly language, why was it the 1st language and the elite's language, during the XVIIIth c. ? why was it the diplomacy language ? (and still now) ? Why does the Vatican write its official papers in French ?

I think you've nothing against french language, but you have to bash something.

Anyway, thank Kathianne, interesting article.
I can only read a wee bit of French, have trouble 'hearing' English, much less French spoken by anyone fluent! I think it a lovely language and not bashing, just posting.

(Can you explain one thing to me ? i've heard about the "French tuesday" in NYC, but i don't really know what is it, I heard it's a party)[/QUOTE]
Mardis Gras! You'd love it!

Kathianne said:
Sure I do, I mean did. However PE, you are not 'typical' from any polls of French I've seen.Don't blame me for another's words, they are not mine! I can only read a wee bit of French, have trouble 'hearing' English, much less French spoken by anyone fluent! I think it a lovely language and not bashing, just posting.

Mardis Gras! You'd love it![/QUOTE]

Kathianne, you were not the "target" of my message, except in the end, when I nammed you, sorry if you felt offensed, it was not at all thje goal ;)

I think most Americans don't particularly like the French people they meet because they are tired of the way the French look down on them. Even after we saved their bacon so many times. It is sickening to have people who often know nothing of our culture attempt to degrade Americans because of a perceived provinciality (or more commonly called "Americans are all just Hicks" to them.)

well no1, I think that there is the same feeling for ther other side : for some French, and also Europeans, the Americans seem to want control everything and think they are the best, in everything, and that the rerst of the world should be a US dominion.

see, there is stupid feelings in the 2 sides.

In Turkish TV, there came in news "LANCE ARMSTRONG" the never-seen before cycler...

Did you heared what he said?
That French-People are jealousy? when someone else is better than them...

These were some true words, and i really respect LANCE ARMSTRONG saying so, as it is true words...

canavar said:
In Turkish TV, there came in news "LANCE ARMSTRONG" the never-seen before cycler...

Did you heared what he said?
That French-People are jealousy? when someone else is better than them...

These were some true words, and i really respect LANCE ARMSTRONG saying so, as it is true words...

if Lance armstrong is not really loved by the public, it's not because he's american : in 1999, the relations between France and USA weren't so bad, they were quite good.

But he seems to be very cold, not really....friendly.

It's not because he won and the french runners don't, you know, Miguel Indurain, a 5-times winner, was really well loved, he was spanish.
Pantani, the winner of 1998, was also well loved.
i like a lot Jan Ullrich, winner of 1997 and 5-times second. (of 4 times, don't remember).

Tyler Hamilton was for me a great cyclist, I liked him. And Georges Hincapie is also well loved. So, it's not because Armstrong win - the public loved and loves a lot of winner - and not because he's American - the public likes a lot Hincapie, Hamilton.... -

About what Armstrong said at the TV show about the control : I find him detestable.
He played on the ground "i'm a poor American victim of these awful and traitors Frenchies..." pityful. When he said :
"a Jean-François something in his parisian laboratory...."
That's not the good behavior for a such champion.
After a such declaration, he shouldn't wonder why French don't like him a lot - but French respect his might and his courage - .

And, Oh ! how strange it is ! Armtrong played the role of the victim of the French just before his laucnh in the political life.

To win some voice in the conservative people, not a bad strategy.

padisha emperor said:
if Lance armstrong is not really loved by the public, it's not because he's american : in 1999, the relations between France and USA weren't so bad, they were quite good.

But he seems to be very cold, not really....friendly.

It's not because he won and the french runners don't, you know, Miguel Indurain, a 5-times winner, was really well loved, he was spanish.
Pantani, the winner of 1998, was also well loved.
i like a lot Jan Ullrich, winner of 1997 and 5-times second. (of 4 times, don't remember).

Tyler Hamilton was for me a great cyclist, I liked him. And Georges Hincapie is also well loved. So, it's not because Armstrong win - the public loved and loves a lot of winner - and not because he's American - the public likes a lot Hincapie, Hamilton.... -

About what Armstrong said at the TV show about the control : I find him detestable.
He played on the ground "i'm a poor American victim of these awful and traitors Frenchies..." pityful. When he said :
"a Jean-François something in his parisian laboratory...."
That's not the good behavior for a such champion.
After a such declaration, he shouldn't wonder why French don't like him a lot - but French respect his might and his courage - .

And, Oh ! how strange it is ! Armtrong played the role of the victim of the French just before his laucnh in the political life.

To win some voice in the conservative people, not a bad strategy.

not that he really cares. hes been slapping the french around for how many years on his bike?

Johnney said:
not that he really cares. hes been slapping the french around for how many years on his bike?

??

Don't understand what you want to mean. it's sure, he was the best while 7 years.
And had a huge team working for him.

Why do you speak of "slapping the French" ? what's the link ?
Did you ead my post ?

the only thing yuou've seen in the fact that an American won against French. First, it is stupid. Second, there is maybe 50 nationalities in the Tour de France.

Read my post, you 'll know why french are not crazy about Lance. But if some of us don't really like him, we all respect him for his strength on a bike,and for his champion's capacities.

padisha emperor said:
??

Don't understand what you want to mean. it's sure, he was the best while 7 years.
And had a huge team working for him.

Why do you speak of "slapping the French" ? what's the link ?
Did you ead my post ?

the only thing yuou've seen in the fact that an American won against French. First, it is stupid. Second, there is maybe 50 nationalities in the Tour de France.

Read my post, you 'll know why french are not crazy about Lance. But if some of us don't really like him, we all respect him for his strength on a bike,and for his champion's capacities.

obviously you didnt comprehend my post. it wasnt about physically hitting french people.
and he probably doesnt really care that the french dont like him. and personally i dont give a squirt of piss why they dont like him.

Forum List

Back