French Army

padisha emperor said:
???
did you speak of the Versailles treaty of 1919, or the french Congrès in Versailles ?

sorry, but sometimes, hard to well understand the english, above all when I'm tired

1919. I forget the time difference.

padisha emperor said:
ok, thanks.

so, this was against the Versailles treaty ?

Please do not tell me you think this was a successful treaty? Are you sure you don't want to postpone to later, it's late for you.

Please do not tell me you think this was a successful treaty? Are you sure you don't want to postpone to later, it's late for you.

thank you, but I'm a great boy, I can stay awake late......

the Versailles treaty :
great points :

- Germany is the only responsable of the war
- the german army: only 100,000 - i believe - for home security, policy
- No aviation and fleet, or at least, very little ones
- demilitarization of Rhénanie - Rheinland -
- the german foreign assets are confiscated
- the german colonies are occupied by the winner
- Germany lost a part of her territory (90,000 km²)
- french occupation of Sarreland
- Germany is forbidden of SDN
- France recover Alsace and Lorraine, lost in 1871

And in 1921, Germany have to paid 132 billions of gold-marks. (2 and 1/2 years of national Revenue of 1914)

Of course it is very very loud, Germany take it like a Diktat.

But you can understand France and the others : It was the most awful war of History, everybody - or at least lots of people - believed that after a such war, the men would never make war again.
So, in their mind, it was worst than the hell... the trench experience was awful...
France lost 1,500,000 soldiers, UK 800,000. So the winners want to have their revenge. it is understandable.

Of course, it is this "Versailles Diktat" who give to German the feeling of humiliation, and who helped Hitler.

But after the WWII, the winners didn't the same mistake like in 1919.

padisha emperor said:
France lost 1,500,000 soldiers, UK 800,000. So the winners want to have their revenge. it is understandable.

Of course, it is this "Versailles Diktat" who give to German the feeling of humiliation, and who helped Hitler.

But after the WWII, the winners didn't the same mistake like in 1919.
Actually, not good, they should have looked at the American Civil War, it was only over less than 50 years. Wilson was warning them, especially concerning the whole of the European continent had been winding for war for years, not just Germany or Austria.

The US did understand the problems inherent in that treaty, Wilson was too arrogant to deal in our country with our Congress. He was too impressed with YOUR leaders and his great mind-more hubris. While Congress would not approve the League of Nations, they did the Dawes Plan, trying to head off the backlash, sure to come. Altruism though, even self-serving altruism, (YES, I'm aware that's an oxymoron), could not survive the Great Depression.

The reason it didn't reoccur AFTER WWII was because of the US. The reason that Germany and Japan were/are economic superpowers is directly related to the fact that the US won the peace, if it did take many to win the war.

Forum List

Back