Freight ship travel from US to Africa?

ninja007

Gold Member
Aug 4, 2014
Living rent free in libs heads
I live in Canada near the US border. I cannot fly due to an old closed head injury. I plan on going to South Africa asap to live with the lions for a month or two. (seriously). Has anyone travelled by ship, specifically freighter ship from US or Canada to Africa? thx.

A while back I wanted to travel from the US to India on a ship. I inquired but got discouraged to find out only way to do that was on a freight ship. Some people say it is fun.

---

It is possible and in recent years Mr. Michael Phalen of Monty Paython fame has done it wonderfully and for free.

It will take some convincing of a Boat Captain, by boat I mean freighter, they allow private citizens aboard for a nominal fee, and you will have to work of the Captain's command like cleaning cabins and ship. If you have a special skill it will help.

I traveled to Senda, Japan from Tacoma, WA it took 12 days but it was all worth it.

From Mumbai you can take Maersk, CMA CGM or Hapag Llyod Vessel, you will have to spend some time convincing the captain and you must have valid documents with Visas.

All three liners stop in Europe and first stop in US on the East Coast is New York / New Jersey Port.

From the West CMA/CGM or Maersk with a ship change in Singapore will bring you to, Tacoma, WA, or Long Beach/Los Angeles, CA.

Good Luck.

I want to travel from India to US bu Ship Is it too quaint Possible even

I live in Canada near the US border. I cannot fly due to an old closed head injury. I plan on going to South Africa asap to live with the lions for a month or two. (seriously). Has anyone travelled by ship, specifically freighter ship from US or Canada to Africa? thx.

FUCK YEAH MAN!!!

Now THAT is an adventure! I can't help you out unfortunately because I've never done it but GODSPEED! :thup:

You are the fucking man :clap2:

Have you ever been to sea, Billy? Argh. No, seriously. I was on a research ship for 3 weeks and we were out in the deep ocean. When we hit the big waves, oh mother of god, I wanted to die so badly. I had nothing left to puke up. Then I got my sea legs. Then the project ended.

Have you ever been to sea, Billy? Argh. No, seriously. I was on a research ship for 3 weeks and we were out in the deep ocean. When we hit the big waves, oh mother of god, I wanted to die so badly. I had nothing left to puke up. Then I got my sea legs. Then the project ended.

Well first of all that's pretty freaking awesome man.

Second I don't think that would be a problem on a freighter. I think Billy will have the time of his life. I'd do it if I could.

Second I don't think that would be a problem on a freighter. I think Billy will have the time of his life. I'd do it if I could.
It would be a problem on a freighter. Here's what I faced - imagine a bowl, any kind of bowl. Take a dinky little toy ship and put it at the bottom of the bowl. Pretend you're on that ship. Now look out and all you see is a wall of water everywhere, then look up and you see yourself surrounded by huge Bering Sea waves.

I'm sure Navy guys can relate.

A freighter is larger than the ship I was on but the open Pacific in a storm can produce big waves. Cruise ships, the ocean liners, try to avoid the miserable weather but freighters have a schedule to keep so they keep on trucking.

I don't know if there are good seasons to cross the Pacific or not, I'm not a sailor. Navy guys should know more.

It would be a problem on a freighter. Here's what I faced - imagine a bowl, any kind of bowl. Take a dinky little toy ship and put it at the bottom of the bowl. Pretend you're on that ship. Now look out and all you see is a wall of water everywhere, then look up and you see yourself surrounded by huge Bering Sea waves.

A freighter is larger than the ship I was on but the open Pacific in a storm can produce big waves. Cruise ships, the ocean liners, try to avoid the miserable weather but freighters have a schedule to keep so they keep on trucking.

I don't know if there are good seasons to cross the Pacific or not, I'm not a sailor. Navy guys should know more.

I've been a sailor since I was 12 and have several certifications. So trust me I've been seasick out of my mind before.

But I looked at the links from @Vikrant and travelling by freighter is now on my bucketlist!

The pacific seems pretty daunting to me but crossing the Atlantic has been a dream of mine as long as I can remember.

@ninja007 DO IT! AND REGRET NOTHING!

I've been a sailor since I was 12 and have several certifications. So trust me I've been seasick out of my mind before.

But I looked at the links from @Vikrant and travelling by freighter is now on my bucketlist!

The pacific seems pretty daunting to me but crossing the Atlantic has been a dream of mine as long as I can remember.

So you can relate to the dry heaves. That was awful. Then I got my sea-legs. And I had to work through all that. We still had stormy weather but I weathered it much, much better.

I can't see how they can stabilize a freighter in big waves. I'd be very surprised if you get a cruise ship experience in rough weather. Nice weather, sure, but big stuff, no.

Yep, that link is pretty helpful. I am going to bookmark that one as I am now seriously thinking about freight travel.

So you can relate to the dry heaves. That was awful. Then I got my sea-legs. And I had to work through all that. We still had stormy weather but I weathered it much, much better.

I can't see how they can stabilize a freighter in big waves. I'd be very surprised if you get a cruise ship experience in rough weather. Nice weather, sure, but big stuff, no.

Man at least about once a year I get seasick as hell. But only on boats less than 30'. I don't know what it's like to be on a freighter during rough seas but then again I would only book a trip if the forecasts were perfect :dunno:

thanks guys.. I have seen most of those websites. Trying to find something from Quebec or East coast Canada to South Africa (Johannasburg)? Anybody? I plan on volunteering at Kevin Richardson's Kingdom first (the Lion Whisperer), than going to the Masai Mara with Jackson Looseyia and Johnathan Scott and Simon King (Big Cat Diary) fame. Jackson is right now offering a tour with Jon and Simon in Oct.

Forum List

Back