Freedom Tower: WTC Replacement

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
What do you think of the redesigned Freedom Tower, the replacement for the WTC? While 1776 feet high, it is only 82 stories before the spire. It seems to be a weak replacemnt for the WTC towers.

tower_slide_1.jpg

tower_slide_2.jpg

tower_slide_5.jpg

tower_slide_3.jpg

I can't believe I agree with Donald Trump on something, but I would like to see the old towers replicated, just a bit taller.

I am in complete agreement with Donald Trump (eek!). The towers should be rebuilt with all the necessary safety updates and one story taller.

This, while lovely, looks more like a giant phallic symbol, rather than a symbol of freedom and a message to those who would like to harm our nation and our people.

Gem said:
I am in complete agreement with Donald Trump (eek!). The towers should be rebuilt with all the necessary safety updates and one story taller.

This, while lovely, looks more like a giant phallic symbol, rather than a symbol of freedom and a message to those who would like to harm our nation and our people.

hmmmmm--a phallic symbol or 2 big knockers --decisions, decisions

I liked the twisting corners and the uncentered anntenna much better. I don't see how these older design features were any less 'secure'.

3946682freedom_tower_night.jpg

dilloduck said:
hmmmmm--a phallic symbol or 2 big knockers --decisions, decisions

LOL

Whatever they put back up, they should top it with a big towering shiny Christian cross....as a nice pointed message to the infidels...

:terror:

(i can hear the libs whining already...)

Comrade said:
I liked the twisting corners and the uncentered anntenna much better. I don't see how these older design features were any less 'secure'.
I agree, but I would prefer an updated and higher version of the original twins. A NYT article said that one of the new safety features of the redesigned Freedom Tower is that it is further off-set from the street to guard against truck bombs. I do not know why the anntenna position was changed. All together, the redesign of the Freedom Tower results in an uninspired and ordinary looking building.

There's something cockeyed about these new pictures of the current plan when the highest occupied floor (#83) is only a few floors above the neighboring buildings. Notice how in every pic they draw in occupied floors all the way too the roof of the tower, when in reality such substance would be a facade. Especially notice the lighting in this picture:

tower_slide_2.jpg

At least the original design was an honest memorial with clearly drawn empty space.

I'd like to qualify that if they actually build up occupied space to this height, as opposed to old plan, I'd strongly APPROVE. But there is no way the picture we are given of the new plan represents 83 floors of tenant space.

Comments welcome... am I misreading the latest plans? :huh:

Final comment... I think they should build it up all the way to the top of the empty space in the original plan, which is what the artist envisioned before he was forced to create this 'empty space' out of the cowardice and insecurity among our financial and government institutions. This will be a monument for several generations following us... do we really need to make our tallest structures hide among the rest? You'd almost imagine us cutting down the Sears Tower by a few hundred feet just so it 'wouldn't present a target from what is obviously all good pickings in any downtown city in America. What a chickenshit attitude our city planners and their sponsors have chosen for the 9-11 rebuild. I was disgusted about this subject since only a few months after 9-11, when it was decided that the occupied floors were to 'blend in' more with the cityscape, so as not to present such a lucratrive target. Well who else then? Sears Tower, that is, which we MUST TEAR DOWN NOW BEFORE ITS TOO LATE!~!~!~!

3946682freedom_tower_night.jpg

At least this plan, despite it being a shorter rebuild of a once proud and undeterred dual symbols of American confidence, was at least pretty. But it was still gutless. It should have filled up to the top with occupied space. Hell, if I had the money, I'd have had a bought the Penthouse build just to show off the singular most ballsy investment in NYC. I can imagine the bidding starting at about 100 Million.

And being a cowardly, victimized, 'please don't hurt me' culture is NO way to go through life. Build it higher and stronger, and tell them you are NOT AFRAID.

We don't need a legacy tower built up to NYC averages which says: that when the tallest guy is knocked down, the next tallest guy is the one who everyone else should hide under.

Of course no one talks about how the new Freedom Tower plan would now be meaningless compared to the Empire State Building (built a half century before our new terrorist-proof 21st century safety standards, and much more of an 'easy' target) as the next most significant target in NYC, because that would point out how the new tower is really just a cowardly henchman to the next big terrorist target.

If any future attackers must be assured, the American people of NYC are stating here that you might reconsider an attack on NYC and instead hit the Sears Tower in Chicago, which in fact is much closer to Canadian Airspace, which is a lax area indeed, and continues to refuse to consider the the US no-fly list to deny it's local travel to/from Canadian destinations (rerouted easily into American airspace). Such standards of pre-flight investigation.

But the fact is, America hasn't even began to show their teeth in this struggle between modernizations and Islamic Totalitarianism... There is much power the U.S.A. has rationally (and with good restraint) held back in ultimately deciding such a conflict of cultures. The Totalitarian Muslim society may deem the new Freedom Tower a symbolic target , but should they destroy it they and their countrymen will indeed reap the hatred which they themselves propagate among their own... And as their own acts purport to threaten all conventions of modern, Democratic government, which holds the vast majority of real power in this world of ours, there will be few Liberal Democracies to rise in abject and forcible dispute over Americas future acts in retaliation against terrorist regimes, taking Iraq as a barometer of real politik.

Islamic nutjobs still don't understand the fact that our society is a few sighs and an angry exclamation from having their entire people obliterated.

(Outrageous proposition, but given people are people all over the world, the bloodlust hated against Americans the Immans work could actually work both ways.)...

And, during Americas heated destruction of the Muslim world, the rest of the world hems and haws over the travesty and loss of millions of human lives as they do in Africa, Saddam's Iraq, Sudan, etc... where each nation really doesn't care much and together exhales in a unanimous sigh...

So Build It Up, Stronger and Higher. And let every government openly or covertly hostile to our society know they could be considered personally responsible for its protection. A freely Democratic and industrious society should demand no less from its enemies.

Forum List

Back