Free trade reduced to one sentence:

Brutus

Feb 17, 2011
The more people with whom you trade the richer you get, regardless of whether they are across the street or across the world; the fewer with whom you trade the poorer you get.

If you could not trade with anyone you would have to make everything yourself and you'd be very poor or dead.

Capitalism reduced to one sentence:

Capitalism: capitalists have money, labor needs money, the rest is self explanatory.

Free trade reduced to one sentence: there is no such thing as free trade. It's a myth.

Just for shits and grins here's another curious adage:

Communism: From each according to his ability, to each according to his need
Capitalism: From each according to his gullibility, to each according to his greed.

Or one I just made up:

Never take wooden nickels. All paper money is wooden nickels. It is, think about it.

Last edited:
The more people with whom you trade the richer you get, regardless of whether they are across the street or across the world; the fewer with whom you trade the poorer you get.

If you could not trade with anyone you would have to make everything yourself and you'd be very poor or dead.

Right! It's called "working the numbers." The more contacts, the closer it brings one to a success. :)

Is there a point here somewhere? It is amazing how much flawed logic one can stuff into two sentences. Most people don't "trade" anything more than their time for wages or a commission. Trade with other countries is a myth for 99% of businesses in the USA. There may be no one on this message board that is personally involved with "free trade". A hand full of private farmers "trade" what they grow internationally. The vast majority of US international agri trade is done by multi national owned super farms. Most of those products are owned and tightly controlled by the bio patent owners.

With the exception of software, commercial aircraft and weapons and much of our natural resources there is very little we sell abroad.

So I repeat...what is your point?

For a case study, refer to North Korea. The closest thing in this world to an Autarky. Also, one of the only nations in this world now defined by it's almost TOTAL lack of visibility at night as compared to it's Southern Neighbor. That 38th parallel sure is easy to see though.

Free trade reduced to one sentence: there is no such thing as free trade. It's a myth.

COLOR]

Brutus: subject of thread is free trade. If you say it does not exist you are being stupid since it must exist if everyone is talking about it.
If you mean it does not exist in practice, as opposed to theory, then you must explain what you mean rather than pop off with any silly feeling that appears in your head.

Right! It's called "working the numbers." The more contacts, the closer it brings one to a success. :)

Brutus: I have no idea what you mean. Sorry

Huggy: Is there a point here somewhere?

Brutus: yes , you should support free trade, not liberals

Huggy: It is amazing how much flawed logic one can stuff into two sentences. Most people don't "trade" anything more than their time for wages or a commission.

Brutus: did someone disagree?

Huggy: Trade with other countries is a myth for 99% of businesses in the USA.

Brutus: So did my Toyoto come from Mars???????????????

Huggy: There may be no one on this message board that is personally involved with "free trade".

Brutus: if you elect to buy a toyota you are involved in freer trade than if you were buying an American car because that was the only choice liberals gave you.

Huggy: A hand full of private farmers "trade" what they grow internationally. The vast majority of US international agri trade is done by multi national owned super farms. Most of those products are owned and tightly controlled by the bio patent owners.

Brutus: no idea what your subject is. You forgot to say.

Huggy: With the exception of software, commercial aircraft and weapons and much of our natural resources there is very little we sell abroad.

Brutus: of course that is silly since exports must equal imports. Our big companies earn half their income abroad.

Huggy: So I repeat...what is your point?

Brutus: the more free trade the richer we get. Getting richer is a good thing. Get it now?

Last edited:
Free trade creates wealth by encouraging specialization and increasing productivity.

Brutus: Yes I agree, the more with whom you trade the more specialization and productivity there will be. Free trade gives you the opportunity to buy from the best and lowest cost producer in the entire world, or, the best in the town in which you happen to live.

Huggy: It is amazing how much flawed logic one can stuff into two sentences. Most people don't "trade" anything more than their time for wages or a commission.

Huggy: There may be no one on this message board that is personally involved with "free trade".

Brutus: if you elect to buy a toyota you are involved in freer trade than if you were buying an American car because that was the only choice liberals gave you.

Huggy: A hand full of private farmers "trade" what they grow internationally. The vast majority of US international agri trade is done by multi national owned super farms. Most of those products are owned and tightly controlled by the bio patent owners.

Huggy: With the exception of software, commercial aircraft and weapons and much of our natural resources there is very little we sell abroad.

Brutus: of course that is silly since exports must equal imports. Our big companies earn half their income abroad.

Brutus: the more free trade the richer we get. Getting richer is a good thing. Get it now?

You are too stupid to go point by point but in the last sentence your ignorance came shining through. I am not among the handful of Americans that benefit from free trade. The "we" you refer to is a tiny fraction of what you must think it is. I get free trade just fine. If you were smarter and had this rubbish on display I would despise you. As it turns out your reward is a modest amount of pity.

You are too stupid to go point by point but in the last sentence your ignorance came shining through. QUOTE]

Brutus: of course if that was true you would not be so afraid to point out why you thought it was ignorant. A liberal will lack the IQ to undertsnad free trade

COLOR]

Brutus: subject of thread is free trade. If you say it does not exist you are being stupid since it must exist if everyone is talking about it.
If you mean it does not exist in practice, as opposed to theory, then you must explain what you mean rather than pop off with any silly feeling that appears in your head.

blow me. Everybody talks about GOD and banging Jennifer Aniston too. I have even heard talk of 10 minute orgasms.

It is widely recognized that free trade is a mythical illusion. Any subsidy, tariff, regulation, intervention, cartel, monopoly etc voids free trade. Free trade is as much a fantasy as free markets.

But anybody who had even a remedial grasp of the world's economic state would know that already.

Brutus: of course if that was true you would not be so afraid to point out why you thought it was ignorant. A liberal will lack the IQ to undertsnad free trade

well at least somebody undertsnads free trade.

Brutus: I have no idea what you mean. Sorry

This is just too precious! The one person responding to your thread who actually agrees with you and you claim that you "have no idea what you mean".

You probably lack the IQ to comprende econimicas.

Skeptic: It is widely recognized that free trade is a mythical illusion. Any subsidy, tariff, regulation, intervention, cartel, monopoly etc voids free trade. Free trade is as much a fantasy as free markets.

Brutus: too stupid!! When Milton Friedman talked about free trade he was not talking literally about 100% free trade!! When people talk about capitalism they are not talking about pure 100% capitalism, but all economists still talk about capitalism and free trade.

That I need to point out such obvious stuff to you ought to make you doubt your IQ. Sorry!! Better late than never.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back