Free speech vs. taxation without representation

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
This is probably a bit of a stretch, but I couldn't think of the proper words to describe what is going on with the disruptive tea party brigade.

I've been reading that they are disrupting town hall meetings about health care all across the country. While I certainly think they have a right to be assholes, I'm not convinced they have a right to prevent the people that attend these meetings from interacting with their representatives. They are disrupting the free flow of information and IMO are lower than scum.

What do you think?

This is probably a bit of a stretch, but I couldn't think of the proper words to describe what is going on with the disruptive tea party brigade.

I've been reading that they are disrupting town hall meetings about health care all across the country. While I certainly think they have a right to be assholes, I'm not convinced they have a right to prevent the people that attend these meetings from interacting with their representatives. They are disrupting the free flow of information and IMO are lower than scum.

What do you think?

You think they should be arrested for disorderly conduct or something? :lol:

What do you think?

:lol:

In this case, maybe. They are in effect preventing people from participating in democracy.

What do you think?

In this case, maybe. They are in effect preventing people from participating in democracy.

What if they have elite credentials and friends in high places? :lol:

What do you think?

What if they're BLACK? :eek: Wouldn't that be racist?

Based solely on the video we see on another thread, I'd say that nothing those people is doing is remotely outside the bounds of appropriate behavior.

Asking questions and voicing one's contrary opinion is not uncivil.

I beg to differ with you. In this case they are practicing democracy. There is a thing called freedom of speech in this country. Lots of people try to put an end to that but it is a right given to us by the Constitution. The people at these town hall meeting have just as much of a right to be there and be heard as anybody else. They are also telling the folks in Congress what they feel is their view of the current political movements in America. They may be disruptive in their speech and actions but it is all allowed for in the Constitution. My personal opinion is that the deadbeat Congressmen and women do need to be given an ear full. Just because you may disagree with what they are saying doesn't mean they don't have a right to state their opinions in public. I hope there is lots more of it. This country needs to get off it's butt and take control of what's going on in DC before they take control of us all.

Based solely on the video we see on another thread, I'd say that nothing those people is doing is remotely outside the bounds of appropriate behavior.

I haven't seen the video but this sounds out of bounds to me.

Congressman Bishop suspends town hall meetings - 27east

Why would the right of others to shout down trump my right to hear?

What do you think?

I think you are a hypocrite and have absolutely no problem with the same behavior from Democrats,

What do you think?

In the clips I see there's people from both sides of the isle hollering at their representatives because they have no answers, not just the right.

I think it's downright hilarious, with plenty of irony to boot.

Democrats bitching about a vocal minority with an agenda! :rofl:

Ravi watches too much Rachel Maddow (she's a drama queen that Rachel) and Keith Olberman! :cuckoo:

LOL! I never watch the pundits. Only people like you Willow need others to form your opinions.

What do you think?

In the clips I see there's people from both sides of the isle hollering at their representatives because they have no answers, not just the right.
If both sides are doing it then both sides are in the wrong.

LOL! I never watch the pundits. Only people like you Willow need others to form your opinions.

oh yes,, that why when I said something unflattering about ms. maddow you jumped right in there to defend all her virtious qualities,, it's probably somewhere down in media.. next! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: try again. parott you are a maddow parott.

oh yes,, that why when I said something unflattering about ms. maddow you jumped right in there to defend all her virtious qualities,, it's probably somewhere down in media.. next! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: try again. parott you are a maddow parott.
I don't remember ever doing such a thing. Do you have a link? The only possible comment you could make about her that would make me rally to her defense is if you made an anti-gay crack.

Forum List

Back