"Free Speech" in England?

you believe that we should allow anyone into the united states regardless of what political or social messages they may preach?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Of course we should. I don't care if you say we all be wearing tin foil on our heads, as long as you don't try to force us to. Thats liberty. I believe everyone has a natural right to it. Too bad the British government doesn't recognize them.

When did we lose the ability to listen to an opposing view point, with tolerance for the person exercising his or her right. Free speech carries with it certain risks. Others may be offended at what we have to say. I say boo woo to this, "moderate Muslim" who choose to go after free speech, rather than confront the evil of his own ideology.

I do not believe this is not the last chapter in the story of Inayat Bunglawala and Melanie Phillips. Mr. Bunglawala has been taught to hate by Islam. Ms. Phillips has be taught to communicate and she is not afraid to.

Wow, have you got a lot to learn.

Glad you came to USMB for an education.
while it is true that i have a lot to learn i at least know enough to have a basic grasp of something before i declare it to be censorship.

that's a lesson you yourself might want to look into.

Geert Wilders absolutely deserves the right to enter the United States, no matter what the censorship folks, like yourself believe.

I even believe that you have the right to preach you brand of anti-liberty thought control.

wow. well, truth is we don't allow just anyone to come here, we often deny visas and entry based on the politics and rhetoric of people.

whether or not we should is another matter but i doubt that you would support someone like Ahmadinejad or any number of radicals from having free entry into the US.

also, clearly you haven't been reading my posts - because in no way have i advocated any sort of anti-liberty thought control

Wow, have you got a lot to learn.

Glad you came to USMB for an education.
while it is true that i have a lot to learn i at least know enough to have a basic grasp of something before i declare it to be censorship.

that's a lesson you yourself might want to look into.

Do you a mirror available?

Trajan just explained net neutrality to you......

As far as my posts, you see a bit obtuse....the leftists behind it have designed a way to get the 'camel's nose under the tent,' and it is exactly control of the disseminatioin of information that they wish to control.

Wise up.

Mark Lloyd.

Exactly!

And:
Obama’s “Internet czar,” Susan P. Crawford, spoke at a Free Press’s May 14, 2009, “Changing Media” summit in Washington, D.C.
Crawford’s pet project, OneWebNow, lists as “participating organizations” Free Press and the controversial Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, or ACORN.

Crawford and Kevin Werbach, who co-directed the Obama transition team’s Federal Communications Commission Review team, are advisory board members at Public Knowledge, a George Soros-funded public interest group.

A Public Knowledge advisory board member is Timothy Wu, who is also chairman of the board for Free Press.

Like Public Knowledge, Free Press also has received funds from Soros’ Open Society Institute.
Ibid.

There numerous similarities between the machinations of the Commintern in the early days of the CPUSA and the Soros-types....really clever how they take over in increments.

Maybe we can save Ogi yet!

The following should make all of us grateful for the freedom we have in this great nation, and, particularly on USMB, to express ourselves as we see fit.

Not so in our anglophonic once-great sister nation.

Author Melanie Phillips made the mistake of refering to the murders of the Israeli family as as 'morally depraved', and identified them as Arabs, in the UK Spectator.

This is a "hate-crime" in the UK, and the (liberal) Guardian trumpeted the greivance. Part of the article is summarized below; note the last section, as it applies to the US.

March 28, 2011
How I became a hate ’suspect’
Melanie Phillips’s Articles
1. The Guardian devoted an entire story last weekend to the claim that I was being investigated by both the Press Complaints Commission and the police. The Bedfordshire police.

2. My crime apparently lay in what I had written on my Spectator blog about the massacre of Udi and Ruth Fogel and their three children, 11-year-old Yoav, four-year-old Elad and three-month-old Hadas, who had their throats cut at home in the Samarian neighbourhood of Itamar while most of them were asleep.

3. I had written about the moral depravity of the Arabs who almost certainly committed this atrocity - and also the savagery of the Palestinian Authority whose institutions incite hatred of Jews and the murder of Israelis, and which honours such murderers by naming streets and squares after them.

4. The complaint was that I had thus accused every single Arab in the world of being savage and depraved. This was totally absurd. As was obvious from the context, I was referring specifically to those Arabs behind the atrocity and those who incite and glorify such deeds.

5. And what on earth had this got to do with the Bedfordshire police? You may well ask. A clue was surely provided by the Muslim activist, Inayat Bunglawala, one of the PCC complainants, who raged that I had defamed the entire Arab people.

6. Hate-crime legislation, which has turned the police into a thin blue inquisition against dissent, provides such people with the means to smear their chosen targets, and encourages them to try to silence views with which they disagree.

The more I read Melanie Phillips' piece, the more I have a question. Follow me on this for a second.

1. Melanie is a well known writer, whose articles generally come with a pronounced right wing perspective (before anyone extrapolates a whole host of other assumptions about what makes me say that, stop and consider that I'm simply stating a fact and not drawing any positive or negative conclusions from it). So, she's well known to be right wing.

2. She writes a blog for the Spectator, which is also well known to be fairly right wing. It was in this blog that the piece in question appeared.

3. The article was read by Inayat Bunglawala, whom she describes as a Muslim activist (I've never heard of him). He seems to have decided to use Britain's 'hate-speech' laws to try and attack the author, and to possibly make a name for himself.

4. He (I and Ms Phillips both assume) went to his local police (Bedfordshire) and filed a complaint. At the same time, he also decided to complain to the Press Complaints Commission. Then, either he or a friend called the Guardian and said that Melanie Phillips was being investigated by the police and the PCC, both of whom have a duty to investigate complaints.

5. The Guardian, being a left-leaning newspaper, ran the story. We have no idea how much checking they did, but we can assume that the idea of stirring things up for Melanie Phillips appealed to them.

6. We know from Ms. Phillips that, as far as she is aware, neither the PCC nor the police are taking the complaints particularly seriously, since neither appear to be investigating them. In fact, her cardinal sin appears to be that she inadvertently referred to the murderers of the Fogel family as Arabs rather than Muslims.

And so, we arrive at my question. What's the big deal?

She writes something, an activist complains about it, the Guardian runs the story,she responds to the story, while at the same time the police and PCC are....doing nothing, because presumably they think the complaint is without merit.

This is a non story. It's a right wing writer and a left wing newspaper throwing tomatoes at each other while everyone else sits on the sidelines and watches the media turn itself into its own big deal.

So let's all be thankful for the freedom we have in America because, of course, that never happens over here. :doubt:

Duh?
Why do you think that the very first thing in our Constitution in Amendment I was freedom of speech?

Duh?
Why do you think that the very first thing in our Constitution in Amendment I was freedom of speech?

Duh! Why did you miss the point completely?

Nice to see you again, Bob.

No, I don't think you missed the point, and your analysis is spot on....but it's placing the emphaslis where we part company.

Ms. Phillips is spotlighting the fact that there is a bias toward censorship in our sister-nation, and she, and several in this thread- and I hope the OP- point out...we should be vigilant as the same can happen here....

doubt it?

The following should make all of us grateful for the freedom we have in this great nation, and, particularly on USMB, to express ourselves as we see fit.

Not so in our anglophonic once-great sister nation.

Ah yes, only free speech in the US of A ... :lol:

Let me give you a hint: it starts with a "w" and ends with "ickileaks"

Duh?

Duh! Why did you miss the point completely?

Nice to see you again, Bob.

No, I don't think you missed the point, and your analysis is spot on....but it's placing the emphaslis where we part company.

Ms. Phillips is spotlighting the fact that there is a bias toward censorship in our sister-nation, and she, and several in this thread- and I hope the OP- point out...we should be vigilant as the same can happen here....

doubt it?

No, I take your point as far as that's concerned.

(And nice to see you too!)

Last edited:
England doesn't have freedom of speech.

Just bring up the so-called Holocaust In negative terms and you will be sent to prison.

Not true. In some European countries you can go to jail for being a holocaust denier but not in the UK.

Last edited:

Well, here's another one:

This morning Lord Malcolm Pearson, a member of the British House of Lords, announced that he has invited Geert Wilders, a member of the Dutch Parliament, to show the movie Fitna (see it here) in a committee room of the House of Lords next Thursday (12 February). Mr. Wilders has been asked to address a private meeting with members of the British Parliament, explaining to the Peers and MPs why he made Fitna and to engage in an open and frank discussion with them.

This afternoon Mr. Wilders received a letter from the British Embassy in The Hague [see below] saying that he is a “persona non grata” in the United Kingdom. The ambassador told Mr. Wilders that he is a threat to public security and public harmony because of the controversy created by Fitna.
Will Geert Wilders Be Arrested at Heathrow? | The Brussels Journal

Heaven forbid we ever get to that point in the United States.

Then, the next step will be Samizdat.

He appealed and was allowed in

For anyone who missed this: Philadelphia writer silenced by CAIR.

I have been reinstated on Examiner.com today. … As a precaution (and of my own free will, not suggested to be [sic] by anyone), I’ve taken down my CAIR articles … and will no longer focus on any further stories about Islam or CAIR. I guess that’s the end game [sic] of terrorism: scaring people into [not] speaking out and keeping people away from seeking out their livelihood.

Pajamas Media » CAIR

Forum List

Back