Free Speech at its best

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
UC Professor's Tone Defiant During Speech

41 minutes ago U.S. National - AP

By ERIN GARTNER, Associated Press Writer

BOULDER, Colo. - An embattled Colorado University professor who compared Sept. 11 victims to Nazis struck a defiant tone during a campus speech, saying "I'm not backing up an inch."

Ward Churchill, who had filed a lawsuit after officials at the state-funded university threatened to cancel his address, was interrupted several times by applause as he spoke to more than 1,000 people Tuesday night.

Churchill has resigned as chairman of the university's ethnic studies department. Gov. Bill Owens has called for Churchill to be fired, and the university's Board of Regents is investigating whether the tenured professor can be removed.

"I don't answer to Bill Owens. I do not answer to the Board of Regents in the way they think I do. The regents should do their job and let me do mine," Churchill said to thunderous applause. "I'm not backing up an inch. I owe no one an apology."

In an essay, Churchill wrote that workers in the World Trade Center were the equivalent of "little Eichmanns," a reference to Adolf Eichmann, who ensured the smooth running of the Nazi system. Churchill also spoke of the "gallant sacrifices" of the "combat teams" that struck America.

The ethnic studies professor said Tuesday his essay was referring to "technocrats" who participate in what he calls repressive American policies around the world.

A longtime American Indian Movement activist, he said he is also culpable because his efforts to change the system haven't succeeded. "I could do more. I'm complicit. I'm not innocent," he said.

The Boulder Faculty Assembly, which represents professors at the Boulder campus, has said Churchill's comments were "controversial, offensive and odious" but supports his right to say them based on the principle of academic freedom.

During his 35-minute speech, Churchill said the essay was not referring to children, firefighters, janitors or people passing by the World Trade Center who were killed during the attacks.

The essay and follow-up book attracted little attention until Churchill was invited to speak last month at Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y., which later canceled his talk out of security concerns.

University of Colorado officials cited those same concerns but backed off after Churchill filed a lawsuit earlier Tuesday asking a judge to force the school to let him speak.

The crowd Tuesday night was loud and orderly as Churchill spoke: "I do not work for the taxpayers of the state of Colorado. I do not work for Bill Owens. I work for you," he said.

About two dozen police officers were scattered inside and around the ballroom where the speech was given. Most of those attending supported Churchill.

"I've read some of Ward's work," said 26-year-old Vinita Laroia, an environmental studies major. "I think what he has to say is true and interesting. I wanted to hear his actual voice say what he's thinking."

The ACLU issued a statement defending Churchill's right to speak out and called on regents, legislators and the governor "to stop threatening Mr. Churchill's job because of the content of his opinions."

David Horowitz, a champion of conservative causes who has long accused American universities of overstocking their faculties with leftists, has said firing Churchill would violate his First Amendment rights and set a bad precedent.

He called instead for an inquiry into the university's hiring and promotion procedures to see how Churchill managed to rise to the chairmanship of the school's ethnic studies department.

A longtime American Indian Movement activist, he said he is also culpable because his efforts to change the system haven't succeeded. "I could do more. I'm complicit. I'm not innocent," he said.

perhaps we could find an apprpriate punishment for someone who confesses their guilt. I ,on the other hand, will be spending my time proving my innocence.

David Horowitz, a champion of conservative causes who has long accused American universities of overstocking their faculties with leftists, has said firing Churchill would violate his First Amendment rights and set a bad precedent.

He called instead for an inquiry into the university's hiring and promotion procedures to see how Churchill managed to rise to the chairmanship of the school's ethnic studies department.

This would seem to be the big problem:

http://instapundit.com/archives/021069.php

WARD CHURCHILL UPDATE: University of Colorado Law Professor Paul Campos says that Churchill has problems with academic fraud. There are links found at the site:

To the extent that Churchill was hired because he claimed to be a Native American, he would seem to be guilty of academic fraud. But the situation is worse than this.

Thomas Brown, a professor of sociology at Lamar University, has written a paper that outlines what looks like a more conventional form of academic fraud on Churchill's part. According to Brown, Churchill fabricated a story about the U.S. Army intentionally creating a smallpox epidemic among the Mandan tribe in 1837, by simply inventing almost all of the story's most crucial facts, and then attributing these "facts" to sources that say nothing of the kind.

"One has only to read the sources that Churchill cites to realize the magnitude of his fraudulent claims for them," Brown writes. "We are not dealing with a few minor errors here. We are dealing with a story that Churchill has fabricated almost entirely from scratch. The lack of rationality on Churchill's part is mind-boggling." (Brown's essay can be read here: http://hal.lamar.edu/~browntf/Churchill1.htm.)

Similar charges have been leveled against Churchill by University of New Mexico law professor John Lavelle, a Native American scholar who has documented what appear to be equally fraudulent claims on Churchill's part regarding the General Allotment Act, one of the most important federal laws dealing with Indian lands. (Lavelle also accuses Churchill of plagiarism).

At my institution, we don't hire people without reading their publications. We don't tenure people without reading them and sending them for outside review by leading scholars in the field. Yet Churchill was both hired and tenured -- and made department chair -- in the ethnic studies program at Colorado. I'm not sure what's more damning: If they didn't perform these checks first, or if they did, and if people on that faculty, and in that field, thought Churchill's work was just fine. As with the Bellesiles scandal, this suggests some serious problems with peer review in the discipline.
posted at 10:38 AM by Glenn Reynolds

CSM said:
The guy needs some serious psychiatric help...either that or a good butt whippin. Then he should be tried for treason and after the fair trial, summarily shot.

I don't think it's treason as much as idiocy. He managed not only to be taken at face value, without the vetting, but made a department chair. I would be very upset if I was paying CO taxes. :rolleyes:

Kathianne said:
I don't think it's treason as much as idiocy. He managed not only to be taken at face value, without the vetting, but made a department chair. I would be very upset if I was paying CO taxes. :rolleyes:
There is that, but it seems to go beyond especially when he starts comparing the victims of 9/11 to the Nazis. In my book, that gives aid and comfort to the enemy if nothing else. Calling the terrorists that flew the planes "combat teams" is not only nuts, but fuels the propaganda machine of the enemy.

Kathianne said:
Anyone who has been to Boulder knows that's it's nearly illegal to be conservative in that town!

CSM said:
There is that, but it seems to go beyond especially when he starts comparing the victims of 9/11 to the Nazis. In my book, that gives aid and comfort to the enemy if nothing else. Calling the terrorists that flew the planes "combat teams" is not only nuts, but fuels the propaganda machine of the enemy.

Yeah but he is only a second string professor, at least for the time being. He is NOT the head of a MSM outlet, much less an international one.

Kathianne said:
Yeah but he is only a second string professor, at least for the time being. He is NOT the head of a MSM outlet, much less an international one.
With all this attention, I expect he will soon become a special news analyst for some lefty network. The we can listen to his crap ALL the time.

CSM said:
With all this attention, I expect he will soon become a special news analyst for some lefty network. The we can listen to his crap ALL the time.

You're probably correct with that. I'd still be more concerned with someone like Eason Jordan keeping his job.

CSM said:
UC Professor's Tone Defiant During Speech

41 minutes ago U.S. National - AP

By ERIN GARTNER, Associated Press Writer

BOULDER, Colo. - An embattled Colorado University professor who compared Sept. 11 victims to Nazis struck a defiant tone during a campus speech, saying "I'm not backing up an inch."

Ward Churchill, who had filed a lawsuit after officials at the state-funded university threatened to cancel his address, was interrupted several times by applause as he spoke to more than 1,000 people Tuesday night.

Churchill has resigned as chairman of the university's ethnic studies department. Gov. Bill Owens has called for Churchill to be fired, and the university's Board of Regents is investigating whether the tenured professor can be removed.

"I don't answer to Bill Owens. I do not answer to the Board of Regents in the way they think I do. The regents should do their job and let me do mine," Churchill said to thunderous applause. "I'm not backing up an inch. I owe no one an apology."

In an essay, Churchill wrote that workers in the World Trade Center were the equivalent of "little Eichmanns," a reference to Adolf Eichmann, who ensured the smooth running of the Nazi system. Churchill also spoke of the "gallant sacrifices" of the "combat teams" that struck America.

The ethnic studies professor said Tuesday his essay was referring to "technocrats" who participate in what he calls repressive American policies around the world.

The Boulder Faculty Assembly, which represents professors at the Boulder campus, has said Churchill's comments were "controversial, offensive and odious" but supports his right to say them based on the principle of academic freedom.

During his 35-minute speech, Churchill said the essay was not referring to children, firefighters, janitors or people passing by the World Trade Center who were killed during the attacks.

The essay and follow-up book attracted little attention until Churchill was invited to speak last month at Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y., which later canceled his talk out of security concerns.

University of Colorado officials cited those same concerns but backed off after Churchill filed a lawsuit earlier Tuesday asking a judge to force the school to let him speak.

The crowd Tuesday night was loud and orderly as Churchill spoke: "I do not work for the taxpayers of the state of Colorado. I do not work for Bill Owens. I work for you," he said.

About two dozen police officers were scattered inside and around the ballroom where the speech was given. Most of those attending supported Churchill.

"I've read some of Ward's work," said 26-year-old Vinita Laroia, an environmental studies major. "I think what he has to say is true and interesting. I wanted to hear his actual voice say what he's thinking."

The ACLU issued a statement defending Churchill's right to speak out and called on regents, legislators and the governor "to stop threatening Mr. Churchill's job because of the content of his opinions."

and nakedemperor says college professors don't push their agenda on you...

What I found funny was how he was trying to back away from his essay at the same time as saying he wasn't backing down.

The theme of the whole thing was how he had nothing to apologize for, but then he attempted to take some sting from his essay by redirecting and saying he didn't mean such and such person, only those making money.

I was surprised that people didn't ask about the factual inaccuracies in the book.

Such as he states that Alexander Hamilton was to become President of the US, he never was.

He states that the US backed the Colonels in Argentina all through the 1980s, but it isn't factually accurate. In 1981 Reagan attempted diplomacy, they attacked the Falklands, we back the UK in that particular battle and they kicked some Argentinian butt. Afterwards the Colonels resigned in shame and a Democratic Government was set up to take their place, the US backed the Democratic Government, not the Colonels.

There are many more factually incorrect assertions that he uses to inflate the "evil" of the US that nobody has challenged.

Shouldn't a Professor of Ethnic studies have some notion of what actually happened historically?

How could a inteligent person be so f****** stupid? :321:

I'm waiting for the hate crime against him...

On the other hand he could have the Nazi party here in the US cheering for him.

wolvie20m said:
How could a inteligent person be so f****** stupid? :321:

I'm waiting for the hate crime against him...

On the other hand he could have the Nazi party here in the US cheering for him.
let me have one hour with this douche bag. he'll think the nazis were the boy scouts.
and why is this retard to mad?

no1tovote4 said:
There are other essays that are worse.

He is on tape in a speech in Vancouver where he endorses "removing the US from America" through any means necessary.
sounds like a perfect candidate to be stripped of his citizenship and shipped to... anyplace else. like freaking greenland

see, another example of the need to trim a little fat off the Constitution. that crap is purley a prime example of trying to start a revolt in the US

I was watching a story on MSNBC last night about how supposedly "thousands" of Americans are looking into Cannda as a place to live,because they don't like the way things are going in the U.S. these days. This jackass needs to go with them. To me,saying that any of the victims in the WTC were somehow doing something wrong,or stood for something bad because they were making money,translates into we are all doing something wrong by making money. He is another Liberal loon professor and doesn't deserve the press he's getting. How is what he is doing 'teaching' at a collage any different than what those people in the WTC were doing? I would like to see some victims families speak out against this jerk and make him look even worse. I don't even think half of the professors in these colleges are there to teach,but rather change the minds of the up and coming generations.

krisy said:
I was watching a story on MSNBC last night about how supposedly "thousands" of Americans are looking into Cannda as a place to live,because they don't like the way things are going in the U.S. these days. This jackass needs to go with them. To me,saying that any of the victims in the WTC were somehow doing something wrong,or stood for something bad because they were making money,translates into we are all doing something wrong by making money. He is another Liberal loon professor and doesn't deserve the press he's getting. How is what he is doing 'teaching' at a collage any different than what those people in the WTC were doing? I would like to see some victims families speak out against this jerk and make him look even worse. I don't even think half of the professors in these colleges are there to teach,but rather change the minds of the up and coming generations.

but according to NE they arent pushing their agendas on anyone, if they have them at all

krisy said:

LOL Was going to post this a few ago, guess I just forgot:

http://www.hogonice.com/archives/003339.html

Dismal News: Liberals Leaving U.S.

Nation Suffers From "Wanker Drain"

Did you read the story Drudge links to today? Canada is getting three or four times the normal number of immigration applications from U.S. citizens. The moonbats are migrating. I guess this means that up in Saskatchewan, the sinsemilla is in bloom.

I applaud their integrity, for once. Most of the really annoying high-profile liberals reneged--cruelly--on their promises to move to France. It's nice to see that a tiny percentage of liberals actually have the fortitude to back up their smack.

I wish I lived up North. I'd rent a van and offer free rides across the border.

A hybrid van. No, solar-powered. Wind-powered? Oh, let's go with gas. I want something that will break 30 miles per hour and run on overcast days. How would you like to be stranded in International Falls with a pack of patchouli-stinking Kerry voters, waiting for the clouds to part?

Of course, when it comes to liberals, we will ALWAYS be waiting for the clouds to part.

Can't we ship liberals to Mexico, too? Mexico is exactly the kind of ridiculous country where liberals should feel most at home. Nothing makes sense there. The biggest industry is petty theft, and the leading export is...Mexicans. You have to love Fox. A ruler who openly admits his answer to his country's poverty problem is to send the poor somewhere else. I think we should reciprocate. We should send liberals to Mexico, and we should also offer amnesty to child molesters and other s*x offenders, as long as they relocate within a mile of Fox's house.

The Mexican government now prints cartoon guides that teach illegal aliens how to violate our laws and get into the country without permission. In return, we should put out cartoon guides for American tourists, telling how to cancel credit card payments to Mexican hotels and stores. "A Yanqui's Guide to Free Stuff in Mexico."

Why solve your country's problems when you can send them here? It worked for Castro back in the 80's.

Hey, I have a great idea. Let's build a high-speed rail line from Tijuana to Vancouver and give illegal aliens free tickets and cheap bo*ze. We can give them cartoon guides telling them how to stagger from the railway station to the nearest immigration office. We're too stingy and mean-spirited to treat them right, so let's send them to liberal Canada, where they'll be welcome. Meanwhile, we'll continue to take all the Mexicans who go through proper channels. The doctors. The engineers. Erik Estrada. Vin Diesel. What? He's not Mexican? Well what the hell IS he, then? No one seems to know.

Funny, liberal Canada is harder on immigrants than we are. They're only too happy to unload the likes of Michael J. Fox and Peter Jennings on us, but they seem to have very little interest in adopting semiliterate Central Americans with no marketable skills. And Canada seems to have very little trouble keeping illegals out, mostly because nobody wants IN.

Sociologists are now concerned that with the liberal exodus to Canada, America may suffer from a crippling shortage of whiny wankers. Perhaps we can make up the loss by encouraging tourism from France. We'll need promotions to attract them. "All Best Westerns now feature free Jerry Lewis on cable!" "All hotel bathrooms guaranteed free of soap!" "All-you-can-eat garlic at the salad bar!"

Anyhow, congratulations, my liberal brothers and sisters, on making good on your pledge. You didn't love it, so you left it. Write your buddies and encourage them to follow suit.

Posted by Steve H. at 11:37 AM

**** Asterisks due to school filters*******

Forum List

Back