Free-Range Parenting

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by Amanda, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Amanda

Amanda Calm as a Hindu cow

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    Full article: Free-Range Parenting: Learning When and How to Let Kids Be

Discuss :)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Lookout

Lookout Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +68
    There was a time in this country when this sort of thing was done as the norm. Kids walked to school alone, went to the corner store by themselves and played around the block at the other kids house without so much as a phone call. Those days are far behind us now though...too many sick and twisted people in the world now. Probably stems from the introduction of CRACK by our wonderful government and the acceptance of gays and homosexuality in our culture. Not to mention the chemtrails, fluoride, antidepressants, riddelin, and a whole host of other bad ideas and inventions.

3. Nevadamedic

Nevadamedic Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +178
    What is now days parents have to be there to watch their kids, or they get into to much trouble. With the internet, video games, movies, television teaching them innipropriate things are ok or things that are ok for older more mature people to do is ook for them to do.

I deal with kids all the time at work when they come in and steal. It is sad, I would say that over 60% of my stops are on kids under the age of 18. It all is a product of bad parenting and I get to see it first hand. Anytikme I stop anyone under 18, we have to either release them to their parents of the Police. It is easy to tell whiich ones have good parents, basically when you tell them that you are calling their parents the kids who ask you to call the Police instead ar ethe ones who have the better parents :lol: I hate it when I have some smartass kid in there who knows their parents wont do dick, and it is clear when the parents show up that they dont care or even encourage this kid of behavior(I have had kids whos parents have them come in and steal for theim and are out waiting in a car for them, makes me sick.)

4. Mr.Fitnah

Mr.Fitnah Dreamcrusher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,673
    There is something to be said of letting a child meet challenges, another to set them lose where they can meet there end.

5. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Great new debate topic, Amanda. The board needs some new ones.

I think the hands off approach works best. As long as it's not a disguise for lazy parenting.

It's not good to instill anxiety in kids by letting your own anxiety get out of control.

6. Cecilie1200

Cecilie1200 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,052
    On the one hand, I think my son needs unscheduled space in which to be independent and creative. On the other hand, he needs boundaries that keep him safe and make him feel protected and cared-for. There is no way in Hell I would let him (he's 13) ride the NY subway alone, or even the Tucson bus system. I do, however, let him roam our neighborhood, playing with his friends in the old-fashioned, "let's make up a game as we go along" sort of way, rather than the pre-planned, organized play dates that so many parents do. My only requirements are that he must let me know where he's going to be so that I can find him, he must stay inside the pre-approved areas (no crossing either of the major streets that make up our nearest crossroad unless he gets permission), and he must be home before dark unless he's gotten special permission ahead of time.

7. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    my parents let me have free range of course I grew up in a suburb but they didn't keep close tabs on us as long as we were home for dinner. We also road our bikes all over once we got older since we didn't have subways.
    When I was in high school I didn't have to tell my parents where I was going, they had figured out by me there was no point because I would lie to them anyways. I also was probably one of the most responsible one of my friends at least in high school. I didn't date the losers, I didn't get pregnant, and I usually made it home by curfew.
    Once I turned twenty one is a different story.:razz:

8. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    my parents let me have free range of course I grew up in a suburb but they didn't keep close tabs on us as long as we were home for dinner. We also road our bikes all over once we got older since we didn't have subways.
    When I was in high school I didn't have to tell my parents where I was going, they had figured out by me there was no point because I would lie to them anyways. I also was probably one of the most responsible one of my friends at least in high school. I didn't date the losers, I didn't get pregnant, and I usually made it home by curfew.
    Once I turned twenty one is a different story.:razz:

9. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Unfortunately we live in a very mobile society, where predators and psychopaths look for kids who don't have an adult with them.

Kids are yanked off country roads within sight of their homes. To put your kid on the subway these days is inviting abduction.

I taught my older boys to always stay out of reach of everyone. I told them to be polite, but don't get within grasp, don't get into a car, don't look for pets, and if anyone tries to touch you scream like hell, aim for the balls when you kick and punch them in the nose if you are that close.

My kids were never molested or abducted. And I would never put them on a subway alone. BTW, it's illegal to leave a kid under the age of 10 unattended.

10. Anguille

Anguille Bane of the Urbane

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,137
    Currently my 11 year old nephew, who has lived all his life in a rural area, takes public transportation back and forth to school in the city where he is now living. Hasn't has a single problem. He doesn't even speak the language there very well.