Free Public College - Seriously

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Let's say a "Progressive" state (not California - those fukkers are crazy) decided to offer "free" college education to citizens who graduate from one of the state's High Schools. There are a hundred practical issues that would have to be dealt with, including the costs of transportation, housing, and food - which collectively can exceed the tuition that one wouldn't pay. But let's move on.

College has become a repository for 18-22 year-olds who are simply not ready to be adults; wanting or obtaining a college education is incidental. They don't have the maturity or the ambition to work full time, and sitting in their parents' basements playing video games would be somewhat embarrassing (to the parents if not to them), so they pretend to go to college.

I say, "pretend" because in all likelihood they are not really "college material," they are taking remedial or bullshit courses that have no business being in a college catalogue, and they are taking advantage of preposterous grading policies that allow them to remain as "students in good-standing," despite not learning anything of value to anyone.

But when we speak of "free" taxpayer-funded tuition, would taxpayers not have a "right" to expect that their tax money be spent on actual students who have a legitimate right to pursue higher education? And this concept would be codified in a minimum set of college-entry requirements (SAT/ACT and QPA), coupled with taking actual college courses - not remedial - pursuing a Real College Major (no Ethnic/Gender Studies or similar nonsense), and maintaining a credible college grade-point average, for a finite number of years?

As a Conservative taxpayer, I'd sign up for that. Who wouldn't? (You know the answer).

Let's say a "Progressive" state (not California - those fukkers are crazy) decided to offer "free" college education to citizens who graduate from one of the state's High Schools. There are a hundred practical issues that would have to be dealt with, including the costs of transportation, housing, and food - which collectively can exceed the tuition that one wouldn't pay. But let's move on.

College has become a repository for 18-22 year-olds who are simply not ready to be adults; wanting or obtaining a college education is incidental. They don't have the maturity or the ambition to work full time, and sitting in their parents' basements playing video games would be somewhat embarrassing (to the parents if not to them), so they pretend to go to college.

I say, "pretend" because in all likelihood they are not really "college material," they are taking remedial or bullshit courses that have no business being in a college catalogue, and they are taking advantage of preposterous grading policies that allow them to remain as "students in good-standing," despite not learning anything of value to anyone.

But when we speak of "free" taxpayer-funded tuition, would taxpayers not have a "right" to expect that their tax money be spent on actual students who have a legitimate right to pursue higher education? And this concept would be codified in a minimum set of college-entry requirements (SAT/ACT and QPA), coupled with taking actual college courses - not remedial - pursuing a Real College Major (no Ethnic/Gender Studies or similar nonsense), and maintaining a credible college grade-point average, for a finite number of years?

As a Conservative taxpayer, I'd sign up for that. Who wouldn't? (You know the answer).
The only difference between Christian seminary’s and colleges is that Christian seminary’s are honest up front that they want to produce good Christians, while colleges hide the fact they want to produce good Leftards.

No problem in expecting college students to meet certain standards
Right now, Community Colleges will take anyone who has graduated HS and offer remedial courses to allow them to catch up
Many community colleges also offer training in the trades

I would like to see Community Colleges be free to all who make an effort to learn

What this country really needs to do is replace college with the draft for the most part. All most are doing is going asshole deep in debt to learn nothing useful while pissing away four or more years anyway. Let them earn the right to vote for a friggin change.

Right now, Community Colleges will take anyone who has graduated HS and offer remedial courses to allow them to catch up

I would like to see Community Colleges be free to all who make an effort to learn
America needs blue collar tradesmen, not more whiny snowflakes.

In 2019, Blue-Collar Workers Disappearing And In Hot Demand

America needs blue collar tradesmen, not more whiny snowflakes.

In 2019, Blue-Collar Workers Disappearing And In Hot Demand
I think we should provide both two years of college or training in a trade

Sorry for my stupid omission. Of course, the same sort of training should be made available to those who wish to learn a useful trade, or gain a certificate that facilitates entry into a quasi-profession (LPN, RN, Lab tech, etc.)

What this country really needs to do is replace college with the draft for the most part. All most are doing is going asshole deep in debt to learn nothing useful while pissing away four or more years anyway. Let them earn the right to vote for a friggin change.

Yeah, nothing says limited government and freedom and liberty like indentured servitude to the state.

Proving yet again that conservatives are nothing but frauds.

I think we should provide both two years of college or training in a trade

Wouldn't it be better to bring back vocational education in high school?
Most High Schools or County Programs have vocational programs
My son went vocational while in HS. But he still needed to go to post graduate tech school to get certified

Forum List

Back