Free music ethics

He already said he didn't buy the music.. He simply bought a hard drive to store it - that's his idea of paying for it... Like KK said, yeah, the laws are poorly written, but it sounds to me like he's breaking one of the more blatant ones..

On the other hand, he just asked if it was unethical, and in my opinion, it is. YMMV.

Some of the music I bought, but not all of it.
Yes, the laws are poorly written.
I think that technically I am violating laws, but you are correct, I asked about ethics.

Well, good. We agree. :)

We agree that I am in violation of the laws as they are written.
The ethics part is still being debated.

Some of the music I bought, but not all of it.
Yes, the laws are poorly written.
I think that technically I am violating laws, but you are correct, I asked about ethics.

We agree that in your opinion, it's likely not unethical.

We agree that in my opinion, it's unethical only if you're giving her songs you didn't pay for (just cuz your friend gave them to you, doesn't mean he/she would have given them to her).

We agree that in my opinion, it's unethical only if you're giving her songs you didn't pay for (just cuz your friend gave them to you, doesn't mean he/she would have given them to her).

Actually, I never said it was either ethical or unethical. I asked the question about ethics to get opinions.

Actually, I never said it was either ethical or unethical. I asked the question about ethics to get opinions.

Thus the word "likely", which implies room for correction. :tongue:

I'm guessing if you started out doing it, and after this conversation you're STILL doing it, you don't think it's unethical, since I don't know many people that would *willingly* violate their own personal code of ethics, whatever that may be...

I'm guessing if you started out doing it, and after this conversation you're STILL doing it, you don't think it's unethical, since I don't know many people that would *willingly* violate their own personal code of ethics, whatever that may be...

Since I'm not religious, my ethics have a sliding scale. :evil:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MountainMan again.

Ah well. Twas amusing, nonetheless.

Profiting from the sale of someone else's intellectual property is wrong. The system exists to protect creators in order to encourage innovation and creativity.

But interfering in the free exchange and distribution of information-- whether that information is factual or artistic-- is also wrong, and there is good argument that copyright and patent laws as currently constituted are effectively stifling innovation and creativity.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MountainMan again.

Ah well. Twas amusing, nonetheless.

I'm only here to entertain you.

And cause trouble.

Musicians should make their money playing shows, not for spending a week in the studio! I don't buy any new music anymore, can't stand supporting the record industry. When I want to hear something new, I pay my $5 cover charge at the bar. "intellectual property" is a joke that's not funny any more.

The problem is the letter of the law versus the spirit of the law. While the letter of the law makes it possible for them to sue over just loaning a copy you paid for to someone else, or even as far as letting them listen to it, the spirit of the law was to prevent you from profiting on other peoples work, which would be unethical. However, that hasn't stopped them from abusing the letter of the law just to make extra profits, which is also unethical. The spirit of laws are rarely taken into consideration, they are also written in ways that allow for such abuses. Ethically, I see nothing wrong with it, legally though, be careful, lately they have been going over board on pushing the inaccurate letter of the law, abusing it as I stated.

Oh, a great example of some who are not abusing it, and probably the only reason I even listened to the band since they are technically "pop", Gorillaz. Weird Al is the same way. They say copy away, just don't sell unless you have permission. Gorillaz went a step further even, and promoted their work by spreading it online for free. Youtube even hosts their videos, Weird Al's as well. Weird Al even made a song about it.

Forum List

Back