Free music ethics

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
Right now, I am copying my 250+ gigs of music onto an external hard drive for somebody.
Ethical? Or not?
Probably just about anything I've got can be heard on the radio for free or streamed over the internet for free if you find the right stations. Just not played at will.
Is giving this music to somebody I love unethical because she can now play it at will?

How is making a "mixed tape" unethical? {The 2009 Version}

So no, it's not.

Honestly, I really have no opinion one way or the other. I don't think it's unethical, it is illegal though. One of the times that the law is actually pretty stupid really, mainly because they just can't enforce it. As for the ethical side, music and all other art forms should be shared with everyone, though they need to make money most make plenty as it is. Some bands are now giving people the okay on copying their music without any thought to it, it's free advertising for their more profitable tours or live performances.

So no, it's not.

When you make a "mixed tape", you generally do it off of your own LP's, and/or other tapes...You know..The ones that you already own? :)

If I own it, I don't mind copying it for someone.. But, on the other hand, I won't download it from the internet for use on an MP3 player if I DON'T own it, either..

So, I guess, personally, unethical, at least in my opinion.

So no, it's not.

When you make a "mixed tape", you generally do it off of your own LP's, and/or other tapes...You know..The ones that you already own? :)

If I own it, I don't mind copying it for someone.. But, on the other hand, I won't download it from the internet for use on an MP3 player if I DON'T own it, either..

None of my music was downloaded for free off the internet.

So no, it's not.

So it's basically the "2009 Mixed Tape" version?

Why would anything be wrong with that? :confused:

Am I missing something here?

If I understand the law correctly, if you own it, it's not illegal for you to copy it for your own use.

If you do not own it, it is illegal for you to copy and distribute it.

I'm not sure how distribution works if you own it, but you're copying it for someone else. Music laws are a LOT different than they used to be...(Thanks, Lars!)

So, if breaking the law isn't unethical to someone...

Much of what I have is from people that are either dead or don't do live shows anymore.

Well ... in that case I say give it out all you want (for those who are dead). The people who make money off that music are just leeches themselves and didn't make it, I don't think anyone but the person who wrote it and performed it should ever make a profit from it.

Much of what I have is from people that are either dead or don't do live shows anymore.

Well ... in that case I say give it out all you want (for those who are dead). The people who make money off that music are just leeches themselves and didn't make it, I don't think anyone but the person who wrote it and performed it should ever make a profit from it.

Well, since I paid for the external hard drive to copy to, it cost me to do this, I certainly didn't make a profit since I am giving it freely.

If I understand the law correctly, if you own it, it's not illegal for you to copy it for your own use.

I'm not sure how distribution works if you own it, but you're copying it for someone else. Music laws are a LOT different than they used to be...(Thanks, Lars!)

Actually, according to the letter of the copyright laws it's even illegal to let someone else listen to it unless they own a copy themselves or paid the same price to "rent" it. Like movies, there are billions of people who break the copyright each day, when you rent it you aren't even suppose to show it to the family. As I said, the copyright laws on media are rather poorly written and impossible to enforce. If they wanted they could toss almost anyone in jail for breaking them at one point or another.

Where has MM said he's breaking the law?

If he owns this music, is putting it on a CD or ipod or whatever for his girlfriend, what law is he breaking? How is this different from a mixed tape?

He's not selling the tunes to make a profit, and he already "owns" them. Just like if you recorded tunes off the radio like in the pre technology days.............

If he owns this music, is putting it on a CD or ipod or whatever for his girlfriend, what law is he breaking? How is this different from a mixed tape?

He's not selling the tunes to make a profit, and he already "owns" them. Just like if you recorded tunes off the radio like in the pre technology days.............

He already said he didn't buy the music.. He simply bought a hard drive to store it - that's his idea of paying for it... Like KK said, yeah, the laws are poorly written, but it sounds to me like he's breaking one of the more blatant ones..

On the other hand, he just asked if it was unethical, and in my opinion, it is. YMMV.

I don't think you can truly legislate ethics. If an unethical law is passed, does breaking that law make one unethical because it is against the law? (Not that that is the case here)

All the music I have was either purchased by me, or purchased by a friend that allowed me to copy free of charge.

I don't think you can truly legislate ethics. If an unethical law is passed, does breaking that law make one unethical because it is against the law? (Not that that is the case here)

All the music I have was either purchased by me, or purchased by a friend that allowed me to copy free of charge.[/QUOTE]
So the music IS paid for.

If I buy a CD and you want to borrow it to listen to , is that unethical too I wonder? :eusa_whistle:

He already said he didn't buy the music.. He simply bought a hard drive to store it - that's his idea of paying for it... Like KK said, yeah, the laws are poorly written, but it sounds to me like he's breaking one of the more blatant ones..

On the other hand, he just asked if it was unethical, and in my opinion, it is. YMMV.

Some of the music I bought, but not all of it.
Yes, the laws are poorly written.
I think that technically I am violating laws, but you are correct, I asked about ethics.

OK, I don't think it's unethical to make your girlfriend a CD of music you want to share with her that you or your friend paid for.

Now, if you were going to sell those CD's on your MM Website, then yes, that is unethical imo.

If you bought it, you paid for it. Lending it to someone to listen to is your prerogative. Is it illegal for THAT person to copy it prior to returning it to you? Yep. Was it illegal for you to lend it to that person to begin with? According to what KK posted, more than likely.

So.. IS that unethical in your opinion?

Lending someone a CD unethical? Seriously? Uh,no it's not.

Here's one for ya.
I'm going to go see a band tonight that plays covers of The Dead, Allman Brothers, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc.

Is it unethical for them to play those songs without giving those bands a royalty fee everytime they play one of their songs?

Some of the music I bought, but not all of it.
Yes, the laws are poorly written.
I think that technically I am violating laws, but you are correct, I asked about ethics.

Well, good. We agree. :)

It's fine. I buy songs on-line and email them to my daughter; she does the same for me. I buy cds and lend them to my daughter so she can put songs on her music library. Her friends use limewire and download stuff for free; we don't. We buy songs, cds but once we own the music we share. It isn't any different than a 'mix-cd' you'd make for someone;it's just a different medium. Have another scotch and share your music with a clear conscience!

Forum List

Back