Free Gyno Exams for the Unconscious

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Imagine that you are undergoing a fairly routine surgery – say, removal of uterine fibroids or hysterectomy. During or right after the procedure, while you are still under anesthesia, a group of medical students parades into the operating room and they perform gynecological exams (unrelated to the surgery) without your knowledge.

Do you consider this okay, or an outrageous violation of your rights?

Regardless of your feelings, you should be aware that this is standard procedure in many Canadian teaching hospitals.

Time to end pelvic exams done without consent - The Globe and Mail

Comments?

I've done that when she was drunk... But she got drunk voluntarily and knew what company she was keeping.

On a serious note, fuck no. That is definitely a violation of privacy. I bet they even pick and choose what patients they "study". Even if it is done with just medical study in mind, it seems there would be a consent form before the surgery.

Last edited:
It's outrageous if you ask me. I have a rare condition called "axenfeld's anomoly" and used to have my eyes checked every six months at Wills Eye Hospital. They would always ask if I minded if med students could come in and take a look and I always consented. It started to feel like a freak show, so I just started getting checked by the local eye doctor. Of course, he had to bring his partner in to take a look. lol

I certainly wouldn't consent to that if I had a freakish cervix. :eek:

Whooaaaa.... Cooooool

Img0057.JPG

Wow - thanks radioman. The funny thing is I had no idea what was so freakish. The part that really ticked me off was they would always have to "take pictures". I would ask them what happened to the last set of pictures they took and they told me the students would steal them for their portfolios. Maybe that's me!

BTW - The "condition" has no effect on my vision. It's just weird to look at I guess. Still don't get it.

o now the taking pictures would be the part that would put me off....i am glad that doesnt effect your sight...and i can see how you would be a freak show at the eye doctors lol

Axenfeld's anomaly is a bilateral disorder characterized by a prominent, anteriorly displaced. Schwalbe's line (posterior embryotoxon) and peripheral iris strands which span the anterior chamber angle to attach to Schwalbe's line. Although this particular condition is benign, the two clinical features manifested are observed in other ocular disorders with potentially sight-threatening sequelae. An asymptomatic patient with Axenfeld's anomaly presented to our office for routine eye care. A case report, discussion of the condition and differential diagnoses are presented regarding this ocular anomaly and related disorders.

Axenfeld's anomaly and related disorders. [J Am Optom Assoc. 1986] - PubMed result

but no ...the exams should only be allowed with permission

and you would be amazed at what little things cause this....everyone wanting to look...

Wow - thanks radioman. The funny thing is I had no idea what was so freakish. The part that really ticked me off was they would always have to "take pictures". I would ask them what happened to the last set of pictures they took and they told me the students would steal them for their portfolios. Maybe that's me!

BTW - The "condition" has no effect on my vision. It's just weird to look at I guess. Still don't get it.

That right there is some awesome win coolness eyes.

That's a flagrant violation of HIPAA, and you should have pitched a major fit.

This situation with med students is obviously wrong. It would never fly in the states, I am surprised that it flew in Canada.

We had paid actors to come in for our instruction on how to perform exams on the sensitive body parts.

This situation with med students is obviously wrong. It would never fly in the states, I am surprised that it flew in Canada.

We had paid actors to come in for our instruction on how to perform exams on the sensitive body parts.

What kind of (quotey-fingers-in-air) actors are they? Do they charge by the hour?

What kind of (quotey-fingers-in-air) actors are they? Do they charge by the hour?

LOL. I don't know how the process works. I know they are paid, and I got the impression that they were professionals of some type (obviously they maintained a degree of anonymity). I think that many of them do it, via a conversation with one of them, because they had family members who had died of things like prostate cancer and wanted to assist in the educational process.

So THAT explains why everytime I get back from the doctor I have all these nurses phone numbers tucked in my underwear.

Forum List

Back