free cell phones to poor-Spread the wealth

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Nova78, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Nova78

Nova78 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +267
    California latest state to join federal program giving free cell phones to poor | WashingtonGuardian

California latest state to join federal program giving free cell phones to poor.

The funding comes from Lifeline Assistance, one of four federally mandated Universal Service Fund programs that provide landline, cellular and Internet service to the underprivileged. A monthly fee collected from each paying telephone subscriber underwrites the cost for the cell phone vendor.

Lifeline has generated the most controversy in recent years. It now helps 17 million households nationwide, more than doubling in the last four years with 10 million new beneficiaries.

Telephone providers give away free cell phones with monthly minutes prepaid by the federal Universal Service Fund fees. The telephone companies are permitted to recoup their costs by charging additional fees to their paying customers.

In order to qualify for the new taxpayers funded cell phone program, applicants must meet annual income guidelines of $14,702 or less. Additionally, the program doesn't require the recipient to have an address to receive a service statement. They simply must show proof of federal assistance such as Medicaid or food stamps.What a joke,so you could possibly have 50 million on welfare get a free phone.

Another forced down your throat you have no say in it out of control Raping of your wallets.
    17 million and counting get free phones on your dime, The freebies never stop-you might be better off quiting your job and get on the Government gravy train-all aboard.

2. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    The program was started under Ronald Reagan, and expanded under both Bush presidencies.

Fucking FAIL!

True story, google it, then curse your Tea Party organizer for disinformation.

3. tooAlive

tooAlive Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Most republicans in power today are just as far to the left as liberals.

They all want the same thing; votes and more power.

4. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Maybe.

But "Obama phones" is a program Reagan started, Bush expanded.....and Obama did nothing, except limit them to 1 phone per household (aka, restricting it a bit).

Right wingers wont believe this though. If they did, they'd have to question their beloved leaders and the info being fed to them.

5. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Shame I don't have a bunch of illegitimate children.

6. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Why? You'd still only get 1 phone. Obama set a limit of 1 per household, which didn't exist under this program founded under Reagan, expanded under Bush. Only Obama reigned it in a bit.

7. Nova78

Nova78 Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Yea ,but was it not mainly for rural folks in outlining areas,seems it has got away from its original intent, and now turn into a big juicy cluster,mainly for for crackhaeds to get there fix.

8. Politico

Politico Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,491
    Because I am not unmarried with bastard children, on welfare, diability or any of the other things that would allow me to qualify.

9. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    I know I'm "that guy", but it just bothers me: Its "their", not "there" fix.

So your gripe is that under Reagan and Bush, they gave the phones to white farmers who needed it, not poor black people in the city?

I bet if you search, you'll see this program was in the inner city for decades.

Wonder why it only got attention NOW?

10. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Lucky you. God has blessed you.