Free book from the BGG library to the first founding history buff...

If you are a founding history buff like me, and have never read "Paul Revere's Ride" by David Hackett Fischer, I have a free like new paperback copy available to the person who can tell me how many amendments have been introduced to Congress.

Hey BGG, did not know thew answer, but have you ever been to Boston and the Freedom trail?

Paul Revere's home is on it, the only surviving 17th century structure still standing in Boston, built in 1680.

I toured it once, my first trip to New England. It is small inside. Close to the home is Revere Mall, a little park like area with a statue of him on his Horse.

He is buried in Boston also in Old Granary burial ground, where Samuel Adams, John Hancock and Benjamin Franklin's parent's are also. It is on Tremont st., just down the block from Boston Common and the State Capitol Building.

I learned a song in elementary school about his famous ride, although I don't remember the author, it went something like this, and yes, I still remember it from WAY back;

In '75 on an April night, ride ride,
The air was chilly and the Moon shone bright, ride, ride,
To alert, and to alarm, every villiage and every farm,
And the men to call to arms, was the ride of Paul Revere.

Of course it would sound better if you knew the tune/music.

It was not by Longfellow, like the poem, but quite novel. LF lived in Cambrige and was a Professor at Harvard. I walked a little of the Campus when there also.

The Freedom trail is so great.

Speaking of Longfellow, what poem of his was later set to music to became a standard Christmas classic?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back