Free Agency destroyed MLB baseball.

That was the worst thing to ever happen to baseball was when the asshole owners brought free agency into the game in 1973.:mad: It used to be growing up i always got excited about the home opener.Back then EVERY team had as much of a shot at the world series as the next guy. But these days because of it,every year,you dont know half the players on your team if you are one of the smaller markets.

Back then,i ALWAYS knew the players from the other team that i was going out to see and that always made it a fun experience knowing a certain team had a group of players you were looking forward to see. Now these days,you dont know the majority of the players on the other team as well as not knowing at least half the players on your OWN team every new year.:mad:

Back then it would have been unheard of for Johnny cuoto after being in the reds organization for just four years to jump ship for another team so quickly or joe jacoby doing the same thing after only four years with the red sox going to the yankees. people like ted williams and carl yastremski must be rolling over their graves right now seeing how players now dont appreciate what it means to play for the red sox,

teams like the reds,padres,pirates,twins,and many other small market teams,they will never have the chance to be in the world series again because of fucking free agency. free agency needs to be abolished.:mad:

Communist huh?

yep thats what MLB is alright. I would totally expect that out of you,the fact you have never made a post that contributed to anything.

Well, you've clearly never read most of my posts.

Actually the reality is what you're asking for is Communist.

You want a system where everyone can succeed.

In Europe there's a system within the professional sports of relegation and promotion. You have a really bad season, you go down. Like Capitalism. You can recover and come back, or you can keep going down.

In the US if you have a bad season, you get the best picks. What? You get REWARDED for being bad?

yeah i stopped reading YOUR babble months ago,the fact that USMB's biggest stupid fuck troll paid shill WRONGWINGER liked your post,is all the proof in the world you are full of shit and an an idiot same as him.:haha:
I still reside in his head
Made him my bitch years ago

I think of free agency like this; say you go to school for a career for 18 years. You study, you pass exams, you excel past most of your peers in a rigorous elimination process which widdles a class of 150,000 down to a few hundred. You are the top of the top. Now, imagine that you can only perform this trade which you have worked your entire lifetime for, for an average of 3 years. Wouldn't you want to reap the most benefit from that career? Would anyone fault you for wanting to glean the most from that career possible? Welcome to professional sports.
The owners, the league, the merchandisers combined make billions per year, off of the sweat and toil of the athletes. YET...when the athletes take the steps needed to enhance their lives...they are greedy...they are myopic...they are destroying the great game and the name of all of those who came before them.
sillyness.

they indeed ARE destroying the great game and the name of all of those who came before them.
Well...if making a better life for themselves and their families is destructive...I say rage on.

I think of free agency like this; say you go to school for a career for 18 years. You study, you pass exams, you excel past most of your peers in a rigorous elimination process which widdles a class of 150,000 down to a few hundred. You are the top of the top. Now, imagine that you can only perform this trade which you have worked your entire lifetime for, for an average of 3 years. Wouldn't you want to reap the most benefit from that career? Would anyone fault you for wanting to glean the most from that career possible? Welcome to professional sports.
The owners, the league, the merchandisers combined make billions per year, off of the sweat and toil of the athletes. YET...when the athletes take the steps needed to enhance their lives...they are greedy...they are myopic...they are destroying the great game and the name of all of those who came before them.
sillyness.

they indeed ARE destroying the great game and the name of all of those who came before them.
Well...if making a better life for themselves and their families is destructive...I say rage on.

greedy selfish millionarie assholes just like the owners,yeah thats the ticket.great people there.:banana:

this is all agent wrongwinger has done ever since his hero war monger hitlery lost the election.:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: whine whine whine
tumblr_inline_mlh3y2JltW1qz4rgp.gif

That was the worst thing to ever happen to baseball was when the asshole owners brought free agency into the game in 1973.:mad: It used to be growing up i always got excited about the home opener.Back then EVERY team had as much of a shot at the world series as the next guy. But these days because of it,every year,you dont know half the players on your team if you are one of the smaller markets.

Back then,i ALWAYS knew the players from the other team that i was going out to see and that always made it a fun experience knowing a certain team had a group of players you were looking forward to see. Now these days,you dont know the majority of the players on the other team as well as not knowing at least half the players on your OWN team every new year.:mad:

Back then it would have been unheard of for Johnny cuoto after being in the reds organization for just four years to jump ship for another team so quickly or joe jacoby doing the same thing after only four years with the red sox going to the yankees. people like ted williams and carl yastremski must be rolling over their graves right now seeing how players now dont appreciate what it means to play for the red sox,

teams like the reds,padres,pirates,twins,and many other small market teams,they will never have the chance to be in the world series again because of fucking free agency. free agency needs to be abolished.:mad:

Communist huh?

yep thats what MLB is alright. I would totally expect that out of you,the fact you have never made a post that contributed to anything.

Well, you've clearly never read most of my posts.

Actually the reality is what you're asking for is Communist.

You want a system where everyone can succeed.

In Europe there's a system within the professional sports of relegation and promotion. You have a really bad season, you go down. Like Capitalism. You can recover and come back, or you can keep going down.

In the US if you have a bad season, you get the best picks. What? You get REWARDED for being bad?

yeah i stopped reading YOUR babble months ago,the fact that USMB's biggest stupid fuck troll paid shill WRONGWINGER liked your post,is all the proof in the world you are full of shit and an an idiot same as him.:haha:

Well, better put you on ignore then, seeing as you can't be bothered to actually debate people who have different views as you.

I've always wondered what makes people like you come onto forums where there are other ideas. Maybe it's because Stormfront got shut down.

Free agency works

The players deserve an open market for their skills

two farts in a row from the paid shills.^:9::9:

anybody who likes free agency is a moron.If not for free agency,players would STILL play the game for the love of the game instead of the love for the money as most do now. It is sickening how free agency was allowed to be in this game and destroy it having players jump ship after just a few years because they see green which is all they care about,they dont care about winning.

Prime example.Look at Eric Hosmer of the Royals. what the fuck was he thinking signing with the padres,a team that is NEVER going to go anywhere. He knows they are not going to go anywhere but he doesnt give a shit,all he cares about is the fucking green stuff. He leaves a team that went to two back to back world series for the most hopeless team in the major leagues cause all he cares about is the paycheck.

sad when players play the game for MONEY and stop caring about WINNING. WINNING was ALL that mattered to me when i played the sport growing up.

Here is another. Zack Krieneke had it MADE with the dodgers.a team that has always been in the playoffs the last several years and finally made it to the world series.He was a starter behind Kershaw. Yet he left a WINNING organization that made it to the series last year for a hopeless diamondbacks franchise in Arizona.:rolleyes:

or how about when Neil O'donnel was the starter for the steelers and took them to the superbowl and then the NEXT year,all for the love of money,he left a SUPERBOWL team for the jets,a team that had one WON game the year the steelers went to the superbowl. WHY leave a WINNING team for a shitty crappy team like the Jets?:rolleyes:

that would NEVER have happened back in the good old days before free agency when they played the game for the love of the GAME.

This is sad that players now are playing the game for money and dont give a shit about winning anymore which was unheard of before free agency. there is nothing more thrilling than WINNING.:rolleyes:

people like hosmer,grienke,and o'donnel have disgraced the game playing it for the love of the money and not the love of the game and winning.

when the game has come down to where players dont care about winning anymore,then we need to get a NEW league formed where players are NOT influenced by money.:mad:

back in the good old days before free agency before there were million dollar contracts,players didnt think about the money,they were just thrilled as hell to have been as lucky as they were to MAKE it to the big leagues,they appreciated BEING THERE at the major league level living a dream.

two farts in a row from the paid shills.^:9::9:

anybody who likes free agency is a moron.If not for free agency,players would STILL play the game for the love of the game instead of the love for the money as most do now. It is sickening how free agency was allowed to be in this game and destroy it having players jump ship after just a few years because they see green which is all they care about,they dont care about winning.

Prime example.Look at Eric Hosmer of the Royals. what the fuck was he thinking signing with the padres,a team that is NEVER going to go anywhere. He knows they are not going to go anywhere but he doesnt give a shit,all he cares about is the fucking green stuff. He leaves a team that went to two back to back world series for the most hopeless team in the major leagues cause all he cares about is the paycheck.

sad when players play the game for MONEY and stop caring about WINNING. WINNING was ALL that mattered to me when i played the sport growing up.

Here is another. Zack Krieneke had it MADE with the dodgers.a team that has always been in the playoffs the last several years and finally made it to the world series.He was a starter behind Kershaw. Yet he left a WINNING organization that made it to the series last year for a hopeless diamondbacks franchise in Arizona.:rolleyes:

or how about when Neil O'donnel was the starter for the steelers and took them to the superbowl and then the NEXT year,all for the love of money,he left a SUPERBOWL team for the jets,a team that had one WON game the year the steelers went to the superbowl. WHY leave a WINNING team for a shitty crappy team like the Jets?:rolleyes:

that would NEVER have happened back in the good old days before free agency when they played the game for the love of the GAME.

This is sad that players now are playing the game for money and dont give a shit about winning anymore which was unheard of before free agency. there is nothing more thrilling than WINNING.:rolleyes:

people like hosmer,grienke,and o'donnel have disgraced the game playing it for the love of the money and not the love of the game and winning.

when the game has come down to where players dont care about winning anymore,then we need to get a NEW league formed where players are NOT influenced by money.:mad:

back in the good old days before free agency before there were million dollar contracts,players didnt think about the money,they were just thrilled as hell to have been as lucky as they were to MAKE it to the big leagues,they appreciated BEING THERE at the major league level living a dream.
So says the shill for the owners

The last strike is what put the nail in the coffin.

Now we have big money teams and small market farm teams.

If you are a fan of a small market them, the best you can hope for is that your favorite star player will be a Yankee someday so they can win a World Series.

you nailed it.ALMOST.Baseball so much sucks now,same as the NFL your points are what backs up what i been saing that free agency is what put the nail in the coffin because that is WHY we have have small market teams that dont have a chance to to go to the world series anymore since they cant keep their good players. If this was the early 70's for example,there is NO WAY Johhny cuoto would have left the Reds. its very sad but true,these small market teams like the reds are just there minor league teams developing their players so the yankees or the dodgers and Giants can win a world series for the franchise they came out of now. could not have said it better myself.

I am a Minnesota Twins fan- not exactly a big spender, a franchise whose playoff appearances over the past decade have been trademarked by perennially losing to the iconic New York Yankees....

I still support Free Agency to the bone. A free market is as a free market does.

As a small market team, that is about the most you can hope for, just make the playoffs but never expect to go anywhere once you get there.
You mean like the 201t World Series champion Royals?

That was a fluke.

The last small market team to win it all was Miami in the 1990's.

And what happened to the Royals after that year?

Yep, they fell apart.

as always,he gets his owned here in the sports section.lol
The Owners didn't bring free agency to the Major Leagues. They hate free agency, and made a killing without it for many decades. The owners hhad actually lobbied the Congress and got an anti-trust exemption, so that they could continue their monopolistic practices w/r/t the players. It was only the Courts that forced the Owners to ultimately accept different versions of free agency. And even today, the Owners are regularly threatened with lawsuits for collusion when a Big Name free agent is conspicuously unsigned.

It is interesting that many "small market" and low revenue teams have been conspicuously successful in recent years; conversely, many big-spending teams have - to be blunt - sucked. A good General Manager can work wonders on a modest budget if he can identify undiscovered talent, bring it on board, and develop it. The downside, of course, is that once they are developed, they will likely leave to join one of the Big Money teams...and the cycle begins again.

The saving grace of MLB is that on any given day, any team can beat any other team. The best teams often lose to the worst teams, and vice versa. So if you spend your money for a ticket, there is always the chance that your team will win against the best team in the league, even if that is a slight chance.

Those are good points,yeah thats true that the best teams lose to the worst teams but thats during the REGULAR SEASON when anybody can beat anybody on any given off day.the small market teams,they cant compete year after year like the yankees,dodgers,red sox,cubs and other big market teams can.

as someone else said so well,the last team small market team that won the world series was Miami in the 1990's. Sure the Royals did in 2015 but as someone else said so well,that was a fluke.Look at what the Royals did LAST year after they lost two of their top notch shut down relief pitchers.they had a losing season and now after losing Hosmer this past season,they are going down the tubes again.

Like someone said so well earlier,look what happened to the Royals the year later after they won the series and since then? yep they fell apart.

you nailed it.ALMOST.Baseball so much sucks now,same as the NFL your points are what backs up what i been saing that free agency is what put the nail in the coffin because that is WHY we have have small market teams that dont have a chance to to go to the world series anymore since they cant keep their good players. If this was the early 70's for example,there is NO WAY Johhny cuoto would have left the Reds. its very sad but true,these small market teams like the reds are just there minor league teams developing their players so the yankees or the dodgers and Giants can win a world series for the franchise they came out of now. could not have said it better myself.

I am a Minnesota Twins fan- not exactly a big spender, a franchise whose playoff appearances over the past decade have been trademarked by perennially losing to the iconic New York Yankees....

I still support Free Agency to the bone. A free market is as a free market does.

As a small market team, that is about the most you can hope for, just make the playoffs but never expect to go anywhere once you get there.

That was a fluke.

Yep, they fell apart.

The Owners didn't bring free agency to the Major Leagues. They hate free agency, and made a killing without it for many decades. The owners hhad actually lobbied the Congress and got an anti-trust exemption, so that they could continue their monopolistic practices w/r/t the players. It was only the Courts that forced the Owners to ultimately accept different versions of free agency. And even today, the Owners are regularly threatened with lawsuits for collusion when a Big Name free agent is conspicuously unsigned.

It is interesting that many "small market" and low revenue teams have been conspicuously successful in recent years; conversely, many big-spending teams have - to be blunt - sucked. A good General Manager can work wonders on a modest budget if he can identify undiscovered talent, bring it on board, and develop it. The downside, of course, is that once they are developed, they will likely leave to join one of the Big Money teams...and the cycle begins again.

The saving grace of MLB is that on any given day, any team can beat any other team. The best teams often lose to the worst teams, and vice versa. So if you spend your money for a ticket, there is always the chance that your team will win against the best team in the league, even if that is a slight chance.

Those are good points,yeah thats true that the best teams lose to the worst teams but thats during the REGULAR SEASON when anybody can beat anybody on any given off day.the small market teams,they cant compete year after year like the yankees,dodgers,red sox,cubs and other big market teams can.

as someone else said so well,the last team small market team that won the world series was the Marlins back in the Sure the Royals did in 2015 but as someone else said so well,that was a fluke.Look at what the Royals did LAST year after they lost two of their top notch shut down relief pitchers.they had a losing season and now after losing Hosmer this past season,they are going down the tubes again.
Paid shill

That was a fluke.

Yep, they fell apart.

as someone else said so well,the last team small market team that won the world series was Miami in the 1990's. Sure the Royals did in 2015 but as someone else said so well,that was a fluke.Look at what the Royals did LAST year after they lost two of their top notch shut down relief pitchers.they had a losing season and now after losing Hosmer this past season,they are going down the tubes again.

Like someone said so well earlier,look what happened to the Royals the year later after they won the series and since then? yep they fell apart.

talking more on this ON WHY if you like free agency,you are a moron sure a team like the twins are capable of beating the yankees 2 out of three during the regular SEASON yeah,but look what the results were in the "PLAYOFFS" everytime they faced them in the 90's and last year.thats right,they could never beat them in the PLAYOFFS because that is when you face the best of the best.the yankees can BUY their talent,the twins cannot so those matchups were totally unfair.:rolleyes:

All those years the twins played them in the playoffs,they did not belong there in the playoffs,they were there ONLY by default because the other teams in their divison they were all crappy teams and worse than they were.they sure werent in the playoffs all those years cause they were good.LOL

teams like the twins,a's,padres,and reds,they cant compete YEAR AFTER YEAR anymore as they used to be able to at one time like the yankees,dodgers and cubs can because they cant go out and buy the best talent as those teams do. as others have said so well on here.the best that small market teams have to look forward to now these days,is that they are developed for a big market team like the yankees,dodgers and cubs because there is no hope in keeping them in the future.

a team like the yankees and dodgers,they can develop and KEEP a great player like a derek jeter or a clayton kershaw because THEY have the bucks to do so. as i proved earlier,a team like the reds back in the 70's BEFORE the evil days of free agency,that would have been UNHEARD of for johnny cuoto to leave the reds after just a mere FOUR years playing for them. back then,the reds were ALWAYS a competitor and known as the BIG RED MACHINE since they could develop and KEEP their talent. cuoto would have been untouchable back then in those days. now because of free agency,you have him going from one team to another all the time.:rolleyes:

so for anybody to be in favor of free agency,then you are obviously living in a city where you HAVE a team that plays for a BIG MARKET team.:rolleyes:

There is a comfort zone for small market teams where they can keep an affordable payroll and still make a profit
Many are following the model of the Houston Astros. Keep a payroll of $28 million. Lose 105 games a year. Trade any player of value for promising minor leaguers. Do this for five years of misery

All of a sudden your team is stocked with blue chip players at low salaries. Add a couple of key free agents and you can beat the big spending Yankees in the playoffs and big spending Dodgers in the series

What baseball lacks is football's ability to have National TV contracts of significant value. This isn't baseball's fault, its just that football games are events, that will even get out of market people to watch, while baseball is a far more local phenomenon.

They also lack basketball's much smaller player requirements.

As a met fan I know how smaller market fans feel. We may be in a big market, but we share it with the Yankee juggernaut.
I’ve been a Met fan for over 50 years. For most of that time they have been content to be second place in their Division and Yankees Lite
Since Fred Wilpon took over, they have been content to be a second division team with a huge TV contract

Of course when the Wilpons are put to task, they just blame Bernie Madoff.

I am cautiously optimistic about this season......

Been there, done that
The Mets look good if they can only stay healthy

Like that is going to happen

Oh, another Mets Yankees World Series.

I can hardly wait.

yeah and if not them,two major big market teams like red sox and cubs or dodgers.teams that CAN compete YEAR AFTER YEAR since THEY have the big bucks.

You mean like the Royals, with an AL pennant and a World Series in 2 years?
Yankees and the Dodgers outspend every team year after year, but they haven’t won in years. Cubs finally won after decades of high payrolls

Low budget teams like Houston, KC, Cleveland have been winning with smart money management

Yankees are actually 7th in payroll...might drop lower next year, I think Ellsbury is off the books then.
They are just making cap space for the 2018 free agent class
Wait till Bryce Harper is on the market

I wanted to ask your opinion of the Las Vegas hockey team making it to the Stanley Cup finals.

That makes it look like maybe they should have an nfl team. They must have enough fans to support a competitive team.

Or is hockey different because they don’t pay hockey players over the top money like nfl teams do. Maybe they can’t compete in the nfl like they are in hockey?

Forum List

Back