Free Agency destroyed MLB baseball.

The way things are set up now, players get to make as much money as they like, the sky is the limit. Also, owners also make as much money as they care to. With big market teams dominating the playoffs, even the media makes out big as they have more fan interest from bigger markets.

The only ones now left out are the fans of small market teams. No one gives a damn about them.
Small market teams always got screwed
Especially before free agency. They used to have to sell their top players to big market teams (Yankees) just to pay their bills

The Luxury tax mitigated the situation somewhat, allowing smaller teams to keep some of their better players after they are done with their Rookie contract.

However a lot of the bigger teams are now actively trying to stay under the tax cap, and thus the smaller teams are losing their extra income.
There is a comfort zone for small market teams where they can keep an affordable payroll and still make a profit
Many are following the model of the Houston Astros. Keep a payroll of $28 million. Lose 105 games a year. Trade any player of value for promising minor leaguers. Do this for five years of misery

All of a sudden your team is stocked with blue chip players at low salaries. Add a couple of key free agents and you can beat the big spending Yankees in the playoffs and big spending Dodgers in the series

What baseball lacks is football's ability to have National TV contracts of significant value. This isn't baseball's fault, its just that football games are events, that will even get out of market people to watch, while baseball is a far more local phenomenon.

They also lack basketball's much smaller player requirements.

As a met fan I know how smaller market fans feel. We may be in a big market, but we share it with the Yankee juggernaut.
I’ve been a Met fan for over 50 years. For most of that time they have been content to be second place in their Division and Yankees Lite
Since Fred Wilpon took over, they have been content to be a second division team with a huge TV contract

Of course when the Wilpons are put to task, they just blame Bernie Madoff.

I am cautiously optimistic about this season......

Small market teams always got screwed
Especially before free agency. They used to have to sell their top players to big market teams (Yankees) just to pay their bills

The Luxury tax mitigated the situation somewhat, allowing smaller teams to keep some of their better players after they are done with their Rookie contract.

However a lot of the bigger teams are now actively trying to stay under the tax cap, and thus the smaller teams are losing their extra income.
There is a comfort zone for small market teams where they can keep an affordable payroll and still make a profit
Many are following the model of the Houston Astros. Keep a payroll of $28 million. Lose 105 games a year. Trade any player of value for promising minor leaguers. Do this for five years of misery

All of a sudden your team is stocked with blue chip players at low salaries. Add a couple of key free agents and you can beat the big spending Yankees in the playoffs and big spending Dodgers in the series

What baseball lacks is football's ability to have National TV contracts of significant value. This isn't baseball's fault, its just that football games are events, that will even get out of market people to watch, while baseball is a far more local phenomenon.

As a met fan I know how smaller market fans feel. We may be in a big market, but we share it with the Yankee juggernaut.
I’ve been a Met fan for over 50 years. For most of that time they have been content to be second place in their Division and Yankees Lite
Since Fred Wilpon took over, they have been content to be a second division team with a huge TV contract

Been there, done that
The Mets look good if they can only stay healthy

Like that is going to happen

Been there, done that

Well right now the injury fairy is visiting the Bronx and that bitch can stay there.

Been there, done that

Oh, another Mets Yankees World Series.

I can hardly wait.

Been there, done that

I can hardly wait.

Another?

The last and only one was in 2000.

Armando freaking Benitez....

Been there, done that

I can hardly wait.

Another?

Still pissed they didn’t eject Clemens for throwing a bat at Piazza

Been there, done that

I can hardly wait.

Another?

Still pissed they didn’t eject Clemens for throwing a bat at Piazza

That series isn't even my worst ever. I was at Shea for the Beltran Curveball Freeze episode.

And I had an empty beer bottle thrown at me by a car full of Yankee fans as I walked back to my car dejected after the last game of the 2000 series.

Here is a little trivia question for you Yankee fans.

How many teams have swept the Yankees in a World Series?

Two. The Dodgers did it in 1963 and this.

When you watch this series its like watching men play against boys.

I just love how the Yankees fans are throwing trash on the field.

What class you kids have.

Big Red Machine
Great lineup

Still remember Pete Rose squeezing the third baseline on Mickey Rivers

The last strike is what put the nail in the coffin.

Now we have big money teams and small market farm teams.

If you are a fan of a small market them, the best you can hope for is that your favorite star player will be a Yankee someday so they can win a World Series.

you nailed it.ALMOST.Baseball so much sucks now,same as the NFL your points are what backs up what i been saing that free agency is what put the nail in the coffin because that is WHY we have have small market teams that dont have a chance to to go to the world series anymore since they cant keep their good players. If this was the early 70's for example,there is NO WAY Johhny cuoto would have left the Reds. its very sad but true,these small market teams like the reds are just there minor league teams developing their players so the yankees or the dodgers and Giants can win a world series for the franchise they came out of now. could not have said it better myself.

I am a Minnesota Twins fan- not exactly a big spender, a franchise whose playoff appearances over the past decade have been trademarked by perennially losing to the iconic New York Yankees....

I still support Free Agency to the bone. A free market is as a free market does.

As a small market team, that is about the most you can hope for, just make the playoffs but never expect to go anywhere once you get there.
You mean like the 201t World Series champion Royals?

That was a fluke.

The last small market team to win it all was Miami in the 1990's.

And what happened to the Royals after that year?

Yep, they fell apart.

exactly,and NOW ever since they won it they are following the same old pattern they have the past 20 years plus.Two of their 3 closers that were shut down relief pitchers that hitters had horrible averages against and could not touch,they are gone now.

One went to the cubs who only gave up ONE home run the whole year,the other to the brewers i believe and NOW they just lost Eric Hosmer,the slow dismanteling is taking place now that they are successful.

Took them 30 years to make it back to the world series,count on that again.the royals from the 70's would NEVER have even thunk of letting Hosmer go or those two relievers.

they will follow down the same path the pirates have who have had to let some of their core good players go recently and have paid the price in doing so,same as them they are going downhill..

LOL.yeah that is another reminder to us all how yankee fans are the lowest scum of the earth.:up:

That was bittersweet for me back then.I was so depressed the royals lost the heartbreaker to the yankess in the bottom of the ninth in the fith and final game of the playoffs I so much wanted to see the reds and royals square off so when that did not happen,that made me feel a LOT better when they got their asses swept by the Reds and three out of the four games were BLOWOUTS.:D

Yeah yankee fans have such little class. they pretty much tried to kill reggie jackson trying to mug him in the 77 series jumping on the field and trying to jump on him,he had to fight people off and be a running back to get out of there with his life that night.LOL

you can just see the terror in his eyes there that he is terrified of being able to escape with his life.another prime example how they are the scum of the earth.:iyfyus.jpg:

STAY CLASSY NEW YORK.LOL

Last edited:
That was the worst thing to ever happen to baseball was when the asshole owners brought free agency into the game in 1973.:mad: It used to be growing up i always got excited about the home opener.Back then EVERY team had as much of a shot at the world series as the next guy. But these days because of it,every year,you dont know half the players on your team if you are one of the smaller markets.

Back then,i ALWAYS knew the players from the other team that i was going out to see and that always made it a fun experience knowing a certain team had a group of players you were looking forward to see. Now these days,you dont know the majority of the players on the other team as well as not knowing at least half the players on your OWN team every new year.:mad:

Back then it would have been unheard of for Johnny cuoto after being in the reds organization for just four years to jump ship for another team so quickly or joe jacoby doing the same thing after only four years with the red sox going to the yankees. people like ted williams and carl yastremski must be rolling over their graves right now seeing how players now dont appreciate what it means to play for the red sox,

teams like the reds,padres,pirates,twins,and many other small market teams,they will never have the chance to be in the world series again because of fucking free agency. free agency needs to be abolished.:mad:

Communist huh?

yep thats what MLB is alright. I would totally expect that out of you,the fact you have never made a post that contributed to anything.

Well, you've clearly never read most of my posts.

Actually the reality is what you're asking for is Communist.

You want a system where everyone can succeed.

In Europe there's a system within the professional sports of relegation and promotion. You have a really bad season, you go down. Like Capitalism. You can recover and come back, or you can keep going down.

In the US if you have a bad season, you get the best picks. What? You get REWARDED for being bad?

That was the worst thing to ever happen to baseball was when the asshole owners brought free agency into the game in 1973.:mad: It used to be growing up i always got excited about the home opener.Back then EVERY team had as much of a shot at the world series as the next guy. But these days because of it,every year,you dont know half the players on your team if you are one of the smaller markets.

Back then,i ALWAYS knew the players from the other team that i was going out to see and that always made it a fun experience knowing a certain team had a group of players you were looking forward to see. Now these days,you dont know the majority of the players on the other team as well as not knowing at least half the players on your OWN team every new year.:mad:

Back then it would have been unheard of for Johnny cuoto after being in the reds organization for just four years to jump ship for another team so quickly or joe jacoby doing the same thing after only four years with the red sox going to the yankees. people like ted williams and carl yastremski must be rolling over their graves right now seeing how players now dont appreciate what it means to play for the red sox,

teams like the reds,padres,pirates,twins,and many other small market teams,they will never have the chance to be in the world series again because of fucking free agency. free agency needs to be abolished.:mad:

Communist huh?

yep thats what MLB is alright. I would totally expect that out of you,the fact you have never made a post that contributed to anything.

In Europe there's a system within the professional sports of relegation and promotion. You have a really bad season, you go down. Like Capitalism. You can recover and come back, or you can keep going down.

In the US if you have a bad season, you get the best picks. What? You get REWARDED for being bad?
Seems to work

So how do you define a big market and small market team?

Before Free agency the Yankees won lots of games and World Series and after Free agency the Yankees won lots of World Series.

MLB World Series Winners
SEASON WINNER LOSER SERIES
2017 Houston Astros Los Angeles Dodgers 4-3
2016 Chicago Cubs Cleveland Indians 4-3
2015 Kansas City Royals New York Mets 4-1
2014 San Francisco Giants Kansas City Royals 4-3
2013 Boston Red Sox St. Louis Cardinals 4-2
2012 San Francisco Giants Detroit Tigers 4-0
2011 St. Louis Cardinals Texas Rangers 4-3
2010 San Francisco Giants Texas Rangers 4-1
2009 New York Yankees Philadelphia Phillies 4-2
2008 Philadelphia Phillies Tampa Bay Rays 4-1
2007 Boston Red Sox Colorado Rockies 4-0
2006 St. Louis Cardinals Detroit Tigers 4-1
2005 Chicago White Sox Houston Astros 4-0
2004 Boston Red Sox St. Louis Cardinals 4-0
2003 Florida Marlins New York Yankees 4-2
2002 Anaheim Angels San Francisco Giants 4-3
2001 Arizona Diamondbacks New York Yankees 4-3
2000 New York Yankees New York Mets 4-1
1999 New York Yankees Atlanta Braves 4-0
1998 New York Yankees San Diego Padres 4-0
1997 Florida Marlins Cleveland Indians 4-3
1996 New York Yankees Atlanta Braves 4-2
1995 Atlanta Braves Cleveland Indians 4-2
1993 Toronto Blue Jays Philadelphia Phillies 4-2
1992 Toronto Blue Jays Atlanta Braves 4-2
1991 Minnesota Twins Atlanta Braves 4-3
1990 Cincinnati Reds Oakland Athletics 4-0
1989 Oakland Athletics San Francisco Giants 4-0
1988 Los Angeles Dodgers Oakland Athletics 4-1
1987 Minnesota Twins St. Louis Cardinals 4-3
1986 New York Mets Boston Red Sox 4-3
1985 Kansas City Royals St. Louis Cardinals 4-3
1984 Detroit Tigers San Diego Padres 4-1
1983 Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies 4-1
1982 St. Louis Cardinals Milwaukee Brewers 4-3
1981 Los Angeles Dodgers New York Yankees 4-2
1980 Philadelphia Phillies Kansas City Royals 4-2
1979 Pittsburgh Pirates Baltimore Orioles 4-3
1978 New York Yankees Los Angeles Dodgers 4-2
1977 New York Yankees Los Angeles Dodgers 4-2
1976 Cincinnati Reds New York Yankees 4-0
1975 Cincinnati Reds Boston Red Sox 4-3
1974 Oakland Athletics Los Angeles Dodgers 4-1
1973 Oakland Athletics New York Mets 4-3
1972 Oakland Athletics Cincinnati Reds 4-3
1971 Pittsburgh Pirates Baltimore Orioles 4-3
1970 Baltimore Orioles Cincinnati Reds 4-1
1969 New York Mets Baltimore Orioles 4-1
1968 Detroit Tigers St. Louis Cardinals 4-3
1967 St. Louis Cardinals Boston Red Sox 4-3
1966 Baltimore Orioles Los Angeles Dodgers 4-0
1965 Los Angeles Dodgers Minnesota Twins 4-3
1964 St. Louis Cardinals New York Yankees 4-3
1963 Los Angeles Dodgers New York Yankees 4-0
1962 New York Yankees San Francisco Giants 4-3
1961 New York Yankees Cincinnati Reds 4-1
1960 Pittsburgh Pirates New York Yankees 4-3
1959 Los Angeles Dodgers Chicago White Sox 4-2
1958 New York Yankees Milwaukee Braves 4-3
1957 Milwaukee Braves New York Yankees 4-3
1956 New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-3
1955 Brooklyn Dodgers New York Yankees 4-3
1954 New York Giants Cleveland Indians 4-0
1953 New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-2
1952 New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-3
1951 New York Yankees New York Giants 4-2
1950 New York Yankees Philadelphia Phillies 4-0
1949 New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-1
1948 Cleveland Indians Boston Braves 4-2
1947 New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-3
1946 St. Louis Cardinals Boston Red Sox 4-3
1945 Detroit Tigers Chicago Cubs 4-3
1944 St. Louis Cardinals St. Louis Browns 4-2
1943 New York Yankees St. Louis Cardinals 4-1
1942 St. Louis Cardinals New York Yankees 4-1
1941 New York Yankees Brooklyn Dodgers 4-1
1940 Cincinnati Reds Detroit Tigers 4-3
1939 New York Yankees Cincinnati Reds 4-0
1938 New York Yankees Chicago Cubs 4-0
1937 New York Yankees New York Giants 4-1
1936 New York Yankees New York Giants 4-2
1935 Detroit Tigers Chicago Cubs 4-2
1934 St. Louis Cardinals Detroit Tigers 4-3
1933 New York Giants Washington Senators 4-1
1932 New York Yankees Chicago Cubs 4-0
1931 St. Louis Cardinals Philadelphia Athletics 4-3
1930 Philadelphia Athletics St. Louis Cardinals 4-2
1929 Philadelphia Athletics Chicago Cubs 4-1
1928 New York Yankees St. Louis Cardinals 4-0
1927 New York Yankees Pittsburgh Pirates 4-0
1926 St. Louis Cardinals New York Yankees 4-3
1925 Pittsburgh Pirates Washington Senators 4-3
1924 Washington Senators New York Giants 4-3
1923 New York Yankees New York Giants 4-2
1922 New York Giants New York Yankees 4-0
1921 New York Giants New York Yankees 5-3
1920 Cleveland Indians Brooklyn Robins 5-2
1919 Cincinnati Reds Chicago White Sox 5-3
1918 Boston Red Sox Chicago Cubs 4-2
1917 Chicago White Sox New York Giants 4-2
1916 Boston Red Sox Brooklyn Robins 4-1
1915 Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Phillies 4-1
1914 Boston Braves Philadelphia Athletics 4-0
1913 Philadelphia Athletics New York Giants 4-1
1912 Boston Red Sox New York Giants 4-3
1911 Philadelphia Athletics New York Giants 4-2
1910 Philadelphia Athletics Chicago Cubs 4-1
1909 Pittsburgh Pirates Detroit Tigers 4-3
1908 Chicago Cubs Detroit Tigers 4-1
1907 Chicago Cubs Detroit Tigers 4-0
1906 Chicago White Sox Chicago Cubs 4-2
1905 New York Giants Philadelphia Athletics 4-1
1903 Boston Americans Pittsburgh Pirates 5

The Owners didn't bring free agency to the Major Leagues. They hate free agency, and made a killing without it for many decades. The owners hhad actually lobbied the Congress and got an anti-trust exemption, so that they could continue their monopolistic practices w/r/t the players. It was only the Courts that forced the Owners to ultimately accept different versions of free agency. And even today, the Owners are regularly threatened with lawsuits for collusion when a Big Name free agent is conspicuously unsigned.

It is interesting that many "small market" and low revenue teams have been conspicuously successful in recent years; conversely, many big-spending teams have - to be blunt - sucked. A good General Manager can work wonders on a modest budget if he can identify undiscovered talent, bring it on board, and develop it. The downside, of course, is that once they are developed, they will likely leave to join one of the Big Money teams...and the cycle begins again.

The saving grace of MLB is that on any given day, any team can beat any other team. The best teams often lose to the worst teams, and vice versa. So if you spend your money for a ticket, there is always the chance that your team will win against the best team in the league, even if that is a slight chance.

The Owners didn't bring free agency to the Major Leagues. They hate free agency, and made a killing without it for many decades. The owners hhad actually lobbied the Congress and got an anti-trust exemption, so that they could continue their monopolistic practices w/r/t the players. It was only the Courts that forced the Owners to ultimately accept different versions of free agency. And even today, the Owners are regularly threatened with lawsuits for collusion when a Big Name free agent is conspicuously unsigned.

It is interesting that many "small market" and low revenue teams have been conspicuously successful in recent years; conversely, many big-spending teams have - to be blunt - sucked. A good General Manager can work wonders on a modest budget if he can identify undiscovered talent, bring it on board, and develop it. The downside, of course, is that once they are developed, they will likely leave to join one of the Big Money teams...and the cycle begins again.

The saving grace of MLB is that on any given day, any team can beat any other team. The best teams often lose to the worst teams, and vice versa. So if you spend your money for a ticket, there is always the chance that your team will win against the best team in the league, even if that is a slight chance.
By the time a player reaches free agency, often his best years are behind him

Best value is in young players

I think of free agency like this; say you go to school for a career for 18 years. You study, you pass exams, you excel past most of your peers in a rigorous elimination process which widdles a class of 150,000 down to a few hundred. You are the top of the top. Now, imagine that you can only perform this trade which you have worked your entire lifetime for, for an average of 3 years. Wouldn't you want to reap the most benefit from that career? Would anyone fault you for wanting to glean the most from that career possible? Welcome to professional sports.
The owners, the league, the merchandisers combined make billions per year, off of the sweat and toil of the athletes. YET...when the athletes take the steps needed to enhance their lives...they are greedy...they are myopic...they are destroying the great game and the name of all of those who came before them.
sillyness.

Communist huh?

yeah i stopped reading YOUR babble months ago,the fact that USMB's biggest stupid fuck troll paid shill WRONGWINGER liked your post,is all the proof in the world you are full of shit and an an idiot same as him.:haha:

I think of free agency like this; say you go to school for a career for 18 years. You study, you pass exams, you excel past most of your peers in a rigorous elimination process which widdles a class of 150,000 down to a few hundred. You are the top of the top. Now, imagine that you can only perform this trade which you have worked your entire lifetime for, for an average of 3 years. Wouldn't you want to reap the most benefit from that career? Would anyone fault you for wanting to glean the most from that career possible? Welcome to professional sports.
The owners, the league, the merchandisers combined make billions per year, off of the sweat and toil of the athletes. YET...when the athletes take the steps needed to enhance their lives...they are greedy...they are myopic...they are destroying the great game and the name of all of those who came before them.
sillyness.

they indeed ARE destroying the great game and the name of all of those who came before them.

Forum List

Back