Fred Thompson discusses the economy.

BaronVonBigmeat

Sep 20, 2005
[youtube]RKc4XFK0iVY[/youtube]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKc4XFK0iVY[/ame]

Last edited:
The irony of Fred saying all this is the republicans, of whom he is a member, said the same thing. You know, deficits don't matter. And to further confuse the matter the recent deficit is a direct result of his party's tax policies and warrior mentality. I also find discussions of the GD as plain ordinary stupid, has anyone ever studied what really happened I wonder? No wonder we are in a mess, even the critics are lost and forget too soon.

Timeline of the Great Depression

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Great-Depression-New-Deal-Introductions/dp/0195326342/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1230302046&sr=1-8]Amazon.com: The Great Depression and the New Deal: A Very Short Introduction: A Very Short Introduction (Very Short Introductions): Eric Rauchway: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Short-History-Financial-Euphoria-Whittle/dp/0140238565/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1230302117&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: A Short History of Financial Euphoria (Whittle): John Kenneth Galbraith: Books[/ame]

How about including some other points of view?

Oh I forgot you're a liberal so there are no other points of view.

Hazlitt and the Great Depression - Jeffrey A. Tucker - Mises Institute

Did Capitalism Cause the Great Depression? - Murray N. Rothbard - Mises Institute

In this brief, clear, but extremely meaty book, Robbins sets forth first the Misesian theory of business cycles, and then applies it to the events of the 1920s and 1930s. We see how bank credit expansion in the United States, Great Britain, and other countries (in Britain generated because of the rigid wage structure caused by unions and the unemployment insurance system, as well as a return to the gold standard at too high a par; and in the United States generated by a desire to inflate in order to help Britain as well as an absurd devotion to the ideal of a stable price level) drove the civilized world into a great depression.

Then Robbins shows how the various nations took measures to counteract and cushion the depression that could only make it worse: propping up unsound, shaky business positions; inflating credit; expanding public works; keeping up wage rates (e.g., Hoover and his White House conferences) — all things that prolonged the necessary depression adjustments, and profoundly aggravated the catastrophe. Robbins is particularly bitter about the wave of tariffs, exchange controls, quotas, etc. that prolonged crises, set nation against nation, and fragmented the international division of labor.

How about including some other points of view?

Oh I forgot you're a liberal so there are no other points of view.

or perhaps smart people know revisionist history... by people who hated Roosevelt and the New Deal... when they see it.

-- just sayin'

and why do we care what Fred Thompson says, btw... the guy isn't particularly bright, after all.

He described WPA work programs as:

"half the country digging holes and the other half filling them up".

Pretty much tells me everything I need to know about this fellow.

You see to people like Fred, bankers pushing debt around are highly productive citizens and those people are entitled to be masters of our universe. They must be protected from reality at every turn and given tax breaks and the right offshore their bank accounts to avoid paying taxes, but the working folks?

Well...they're just sheep to be sheared by people of Fred's class whenever possible. They're just the people who defend their pansies asses when the wars come and they''re completely disposable when they're not needed.

So the Americans who will rebuild the American infrastructure will be nothing but bums according to Freddie.

America's just about ready for that revolution, folks.

Only it might not be that liberal v conservative revolution some of you gun queers hope it will be.

It could just as easily be one where about half of the people that folks like Fred thing are sheep will be digging holes while the other half will track down people like Fred to fill them.

Beware the anger of a patient people who have nothing to lose.

You see to people like Fred, bankers pushing debt around are highly productive citizens and those people are entitled to be masters of our universe. They must be protected from reality at every turn and given tax breaks and the right offshore their bank accounts to avoid paying taxes, but the working folks?

Well...they're just sheep to be sheared by people of Fred's class whenever possible. They're just the people who defend their pansies asses when the wars come and they''re completely disposable when they're not needed.

So the Americans who will rebuild the American infrastructure will be nothing but bums according to Freddie.

Only it might not be that liberal v conservative revolution some of you gun queers hope it will be.

It could just as easily be one where about half of the people that folks like Fred thing are sheep will be digging holes while the other half will track down people like Fred to fill them.

People who have nothing to lose also have nothing to protect. I personally want to protect what I worked for, what I earned from a people and a government so eager to take it away in the name of "fairness"

This is the last great mind of the republican party?

They still have plummer joe and bible spice right?

There are two major problems with "public works" as a solution to economic downturns.

One, even a massive collection of projects like the one proposed or the New Deal projects are simply too small and too slow in generating anything, to matter. The public works portion of the Obama plan is less than 3% of GDP. Not enough to matter, either in the bottom line, or in the ability to turn around overall consumer confidence.

Two, paying for it means taking money out of the private sector that would more likely be better at generating the desired results, anyway.

People who have nothing to lose also have nothing to protect. I personally want to protect what I worked for, what I earned from a people and a government so eager to take it away in the name of "fairness"

It's quite amazing how the definition of "fairness" now means that your earnings should be taken from you and given to somebody else.

Forum List

Back