Fred Dalton Thompson

If Thompson's own memoir is to be believed:
"Thompson had been a staunch supporter of Nixon and had hoped the tapes would exonerate the president, a theory he said “proved totally wrong”. But the impulse to protect Nixon may not harm him with the conservative base of the Republican party."

Than it would appear that while he did help Nixon during Watergate it was because he believed in the President and felt that he was innocent and that the tapes would prove that. He admits that he was "totally wrong" on that regard.

I'm not sure if its reasonable to state that you aren't going to vote for someone because over 30 years ago he believed that a president was honorable when he really wasn't...realized that...and now admits that he was wrong.

As a comparison, Kerry testified before Congress about war crimes that turned out to have never happened...incidents that were "related to him" by others that he expressed as things he had personally witnessed...things that turned out to be lies from anti-war activists...if Kerry is to be believed...he testified because he truly believed that ending the war was important and that these stories would help that...he later realized that he was using false information...he apologized for it and for any pain it caused veterans...I don't remember any Democrats saying that because Kerry believed that he was using true information and it turned out he was wrong 30+ years ago they wouldn't vote for him...

Bill Maher once stated that the bullshit over what political candidates did in their youth needed to stop. If you are voting for a candidate in his 50's or 60's based on what they did in their 20's youre an asshole. People do things in their 20's so they can learn from their mistakes and become better 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 year olds. If you want a candidate to be exactly the same - you're basically saying that you want a candidate who never learns from their mistakes (haven't we seen enough of that in our current administration???).

Again, if he is to be believed, Thompson believed in President Nixon - so did most of the nation - hence why Watergate was such a big deal to this nation, people were shocked, and surprised. He, in his youthful idealism, gave additional support to the President that he admits now, was a mistake.

Not voting for Thompson for this reason is, in my opinion, ridiculous. It doesn't mean it shouldn't be noted, it should be. When a person decides to vote for a candidate they should know who that person is to the best of their ability...but on this issue, I have to side with Bill Maher...if a person is the same in their 50's as they are in their 20's then they have no business being elected to anything.

Fred Thompson warned the Nixon admin they were going to go after WH tapes during Watergate.

He helped Nixon lie to America.

Hes a neo con fool

No, I'd say YOU are the fool. Substantiate your accusation or admit you're talking out your ass.

I will also point out that there was no such thing as a "NeoCon" during Nixon's presidency.

IMO, Thompson is the ONLY qualified politician from either side currently running for President.

If Thompson's own memoir is to be believed:
"Thompson had been a staunch supporter of Nixon and had hoped the tapes would exonerate the president, a theory he said “proved totally wrong”. But the impulse to protect Nixon may not harm him with the conservative base of the Republican party."

Than it would appear that while he did help Nixon during Watergate it was because he believed in the President and felt that he was innocent and that the tapes would prove that. He admits that he was "totally wrong" on that regard.

I'm not sure if its reasonable to state that you aren't going to vote for someone because over 30 years ago he believed that a president was honorable when he really wasn't...realized that...and now admits that he was wrong.
As a comparison, Kerry testified before Congress about war crimes that turned out to have never happened...incidents that were "related to him" by others that he expressed as things he had personally witnessed...things that turned out to be lies from anti-war activists...if Kerry is to be believed...he testified because he truly believed that ending the war was important and that these stories would help that...he later realized that he was using false information...he apologized for it and for any pain it caused veterans...I don't remember any Democrats saying that because Kerry believed that he was using true information and it turned out he was wrong 30+ years ago they wouldn't vote for him...

Bill Maher once stated that the bullshit over what political candidates did in their youth needed to stop. If you are voting for a candidate in his 50's or 60's based on what they did in their 20's youre an asshole. People do things in their 20's so they can learn from their mistakes and become better 30, 40, 50, 60, 70 year olds. If you want a candidate to be exactly the same - you're basically saying that you want a candidate who never learns from their mistakes (haven't we seen enough of that in our current administration???).

Again, if he is to be believed, Thompson believed in President Nixon - so did most of the nation - hence why Watergate was such a big deal to this nation, people were shocked, and surprised. He, in his youthful idealism, gave additional support to the President that he admits now, was a mistake.

Not voting for Thompson for this reason is, in my opinion, ridiculous. It doesn't mean it shouldn't be noted, it should be. When a person decides to vote for a candidate they should know who that person is to the best of their ability...but on this issue, I have to side with Bill Maher...if a person is the same in their 50's as they are in their 20's then they have no business being elected to anything.

That's good enough for the extremists such as TM. You don't recall them going after Bush's GRANDFATHER?

Hmmm...

I guess I'd rather support a guy running for President, who has a young wife...

Than to have supported a President, who was diddling a young intern, the same age as his 20 yr. old daughter....right under the nose of his wife(the first lady), while sitting in the oval office chair, with said intern on her knees under the desk....

The Democrats.....HERO!:lol: :badgrin:

The difference, Steffie-baby... I don't really give a flying in either event. It's you guys who like to talk about personal morality... unless of course it's one of your own... then they can go after little boys and you don't care. ;)

Just trying to hold the loonies on the right to a single standard love.

The difference, Steffie-baby... I don't really give a flying in either event. It's you guys who like to talk about personal morality... unless of course it's one of your own... then they can go after little boys and you don't care. ;)

Liberals have only double standards Jilly

Your wrong Jilly baby...

We don't hold onto our fuckups...Like you all do...

We got rid of....our immoral idiots...

You all keep hold of your fuckups, and embrace, make excuses for them, and then reelect them.....

Take a look in the mirror sweetie it aint......Pretty....:eusa_dance:

You guys......keep wanting to bring in Foley.........
HE'S GONE.......kicked out by us PEOPLE...demanding it of our Party...

When did you all.......demand....Gerry Stubbs be removed/????(Who like Bill Clinton...looked his constitutes in the face...and said......so what....I screwed a young person, do something about it....ha ha I know my constituents wont care........so I can do whatever I want....)

or Barney Franks???...Oh yea.....he is still SERVING YOU ALL

Marion Berry??

William Jefferson???

The list is so long..........It's a fucking JOKE......

You all talk the talk......but, won't walk the Talk.........

What........a........JOKE........

Your wrong Jilly baby...

We don't hold onto our fuckups...Like you all do...

We got rid of....our immoral idiots...

You all keep hold of your alls, and embrace, make excuses for them, and then reelect them.....

Take a look in the mirror swettie it aint......Pretty....:eusa_dance:

It is funny watching the left rant about Pres Bush's handling of Scooter - while ignoring the full pardons Clinton gave on his last day in office

If it was not for double standards, the left would have no standards at all

It is funny watching the left rant about Pres Bush's handling of Scooter - while ignoring the full pardons Clinton gave on his last day in office

If it was not for double standards, the left would have no standards at all

I don't give a shit about scooter right now...Even though that is another, Slap in the the face, and what else would you expect....

Hillary......was there for everyone of the Bills pardons......Crooks, liars, thieves, etc...

We should All be worried about our.......CROOKED POLITITANS....

NO GOSDAN MATTER.....What stripes their from...

Come on People........We need to hold......these assholes accountable...

We republicans are trying..........We NEED YOU DEMOCRATS TO STAND WITH US..........

GET RID.......OF THE PROFESSIONAL POLITICATIONS........REPULICANS OR DEMOCRATS........

Stand up......Democrats.........do it....lets take back our Government......

I don't give a shit about scooter right now...Even though that is another, Slap in the the face, and what else would you expect....

Hillary......was there for everyone of the Bills pardons......Crooks, liars, thieves, etc...

We should All be worried about our.......CROOKED POLITITANS....

NO GOSDAN MATTER.....What stripes their from...

Come on People........We need to hold......these assholes accountable...

We republicans are trying..........We NEED YOU DEMOCRATS TO STAND WITH US..........

GET RID.......OF THE PROFESSIONAL POLITICATIONS........REPULICANS OR DEMOCRATS........

Stand up......Democrats.........do it....lets take back our Government......

Steph - before the liberal media of those on the left pass judgement on politicans for what they say or do - they check what the political affilitation is

If the person is a Dem - a pas is given

If the person is a Republican - the attack dogs are released

Until that tactic is removed, the division will continue

Steph - before the liberal media of those on the left pass judgement on politicians for what they say or do - they check what the political affiliation is

If the person is a Dem - a pas is given

If the person is a Republican - the attack dogs are released

Until that tactic is removed, the division will continue

It would be nice for a change.....

If we weren't the only the ones wanting to get rid of crooked politicians...

But, from what I see on all the Liberals sites.......it's just us Republicans who are the screw-ups.....And the Democrats.........are our saviours......

Anybody, in my opinion who see this....even though I hold onto a conservative value........Doesn't mean you can't see....that our politicians are out of control........and we need to rein them in......ON BOTH SIDES..

I wish......It would happen......

But, from what I see of the Democrats........they will never criticize or vote for a crooked one of them out...........How friggen SAD is that??

It would be nice for a change.....

If we weren't the only the ones wanting to get rid of crooked politicians...

But, from what I see on all the Liberals sites.......it's just us Republicans who are the screw-ups.....And the Democrats.........are our saviours......

Anybody, in my opinion who see this....even though I hold onto a conservative value........Doesn't mean you can't see....that our politicians are out of control........and we need to rein them in......ON BOTH SIDES..

We can hope in 08 - Hillary is the libs choice

Once Rudy is done with her, the myth of the Clintons will be destroyed and perhaps the left will see the truth

We can hope in 08 - Hillary is the libs choice

Once Rudy is done with her, the myth of the Clintons will be destroyed and perhaps the left will see the truth

I'm not even talking President candidates right now...

I'm talking about our Reps.......

Reid, Pelosi, Clinton, Lott, McCain. Martinez, etc....from BOTH sides......

Their all selling us out, as Americans........

And I want to see them ALL GONE.....Period.....

But, it takes both sides to come together....and stand up for us Americans...

I don't see where that is Problem...???

I'm not even talking President candidates right now...

I'm talking about our Reps.......

Reid, Pelosi, Clinton, Lott, McCain. Martinez, etc....from BOTH sides......

Their all selling us out, as Americans........

And I want to see them ALL GONE.....Period.....

But, it takes both sides to come together....and stand up for us Americans...

I don't see where that is Problem...???

No argument there

Anyone who supported the amnesty bill should be given their walking papers

No argument there

Anyone who supported the amnesty bill should be given their walking papers

But, you didn't here one word out of the Dems. on this????

Even though Rasmussen, said that over 50% of Democrats disapproved of it also.........

Why didn't WE HEAR THIER VOECE.....???????

I don't know....
I'm so ashamed of our Representatives in our government, on both sides, yet, you never here of the Democrats, disagreeing with their Reps....

We are hopeless, and sold out down the river without a paddle.....

The United States of America was great, while she lasted..

But, you didn't here one word out of the Dems. on this????

Even though Rasmussen, said that over 50% of Democrats disapproved of it also.........

Why didn't WE HEAR THIER VOECE.....???????

I don't know....
I'm so ashamed of our Representatives in our government, on both sides, yet, you never here of the Democrats, disagreeing with their Reps....

We are hopeless, and sold out down the river without a paddle.....

The United States of America was great, while she lasted..

The left sees illegals as an untapped voting block. By giving them welfare pmts, SS benefits, and their share of the entitlement pie - libs see them as loyal voters

To bad some on our side have the same game plan

The United States of America was a wonderful and great Country at one time....

Now.........all the multicultural experiment people, will tear this Country Apart...

We no longer have a goal of being ONE.... Thanks to the people Better than Us, now we have a Nothing........We are the United States of Nothing....

We have a bunch of people inhabiting our great United States that we build up, for all the rest of the people around the world to overtake, and we sit back...
We used to be a Nation of One......becoming an American....
Now......we are a Nation of hyphenated............Nothings....

Aint it Grand....We are now NO MORE...

WE ARE NOW.........Press 1 fo English....

Press two.......for any other else?????

It was great while it lasted......We Were Great at one time...

The United States of America was a wonderful and great Country at one time....

Now.........all the multicultural experiment people, will tear this Country Apart...

We no longer have a goal of being ONE.... Thanks to the people Better than Us, now we have a Nothing........We are the United States of Nothing....

We have a bunch of people inhabiting our great United States that we build up, for all the rest of the people around the world to overtake, and we sit back...
We used to be a Nation of One......becoming an American....
Now......we are a Nation of hyphenated............Nothings....

Aint it Grand....We are now NO MORE...

WE ARE NOW.........Press 1 fo English....

Press two.......for any other else?????

It was great while it lasted......We Were Great at one time...

I Love Immigrants As Long as They're LEGAL

So do I........

But, you should go to HAWAII........Where I was born.......

I will say........they got the last laugh on us...............:thup:

So do I........

But, you should go to HAWAII........Where I was born.......

I will say........nothing else.....

I will say........they got the last laugh on us...............:thup:

To expensive for me - great climate, but the cost of living is insane

Forum List

Back