Fred Barnes: The Politics Of Katrina

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
I agree that Bush should not be compromising with the disingenious dems who attack him and then appeal for "unity". nominate a real conservative judge to the supreme court.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Protected/Articles/000/000/006/036gakxp.asp

NANCY PELOSI, THE HOUSE Democratic leader, tells a great story about questioning a benighted President Bush on Katrina relief. At a White House meeting last week with congressional leaders, she told Bush he should immediately fire Michael Brown, the head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. The president's response, Pelosi says, was to ask: Why? What went wrong? Her conclusion was that Bush was "oblivious, in denial, dangerous."

Others at the meeting tell a slightly different version of the testy encounter, a version that sounds more believable. Yes, Pelosi declared that Brown should go, and Bush asked why. But it's her answer, not Bush's question, that is telling. "Well," she said, then paused. "For everything. . . . It was so slow." Pelosi offered no list of specific things Brown did wrong or failed to do. Bush was appalled. He knew how Brown had performed, wasn't happy with it, and removed him from Katrina duties two days later. Pelosi had merely uncorked the now-familiar blanket accusation at Brown. Bush responded sarcastically. "Thank you for your advice," he said.

A lot was packed into that brief exchange. It displayed the deep polarization in American politics that has shaped nearly everyone's take on Katrina. It showed the eagerness of Democrats to exploit the hurricane and its aftermath for maximum political gain. And it reflected Bush's failure to seize the opportunity of Katrina for strong presidential leadership.

continue at link

I don't know if it's so much of a lack of leadership as it is people who will not follow ( to include active undermining ). Do we really have a leadership vacuum or is America so polarized that if someone DID have an answer , people would only follow them if the had the right letter (R or D) behind thier name? I'm betting on the latter.

Forum List

Back