Freak Net

KittenKoder

Sep 21, 2008
Nowhere
This is freaky, someone made some pretty odd predictions about the net (after they catch you up on the history a bit) and the freaky part is that much of it has actually happened already, though faster than his predictions It's just weird, watch it if you like the WWW.

Flash » Epic 2015

It doesn't freak me out.

I used to read people's futures using tarot cards. It freaks them out, though I know it's complete hogwash.

I mean...78 cards which all mean something different depending upon where they're placed and what cards are near them? What are the chances of getting it wrong? If you have any intelligence or intuition at all you can do it.

I predicted 9/11, for Pete's sakes.

But I'm no seer. Thousands of people saw it coming.

It doesn't freak me out.

I used to read people's futures using tarot cards. It freaks them out, though I know it's complete hogwash.

I mean...78 cards which all mean something different depending upon where they're placed and what cards are near them? What are the chances of getting it wrong? If you have any intelligence or intuition at all you can do it.

I predicted 9/11, for Pete's sakes.

But I'm no seer. Thousands of people saw it coming.

*rolls eyes* Anyone, do I have a Allie magnet on my butt? Great, there I go again ...

I don't see anyone else responding to what is a ridiculous post. Just commenting that you aren't going to find much market for "freaky prediction" threads here.

Unless maybe they decide to give you your own room, like they gave the conspiracy theorists.

Yet again, Allies responds to something I post without even looking at the link. Perhaps I should put a wiki tag around it.

I don't see anyone else responding to what is a ridiculous post. Just commenting that you aren't going to find much market for "freaky prediction" threads here.

Unless maybe they decide to give you your own room, like they gave the conspiracy theorists.

This isn't a conspiracy theory. It sounds like a naturally progressing series of events. Conspiracies are planned in advance. They could have had alot of common sense?

This isn't a conspiracy theory. It sounds like a naturally progressing series of events. Conspiracies are planned in advance. They could have had alot of common sense?

You can't expect her to understand much, much less understand how the 'predictions' made in the flash cartoon are odd. It wasn't done to be serious, the person who made it was just playing around. But it's so close to what we've seen, kind of cool actually, and revitalizes hope for the future of the WWW.

Yes, we already know you don't like science, fact, or technology, even though you brag so much about 'two monitors' even though most of us just are not excessive.

Hey KittenKoder, that was a very interesting video.

The first thing that came to mind was that old saying about a butterfly fluttering in Africa is the cause of a hurricane in the Atlantic - how we are all tied together.

The second thing I thought about is how much do people want to know about the world around them? So many people love gaming, different realities. I wonder if there is such a thing as information overload.

Anyway, I thought your blog was very thought provoking. Thanks.

Hey KittenKoder, that was a very interesting video.

The first thing that came to mind was that old saying about a butterfly fluttering in Africa is the cause of a hurricane in the Atlantic - how we are all tied together.

The second thing I thought about is how much do people want to know about the world around them? So many people love gaming, different realities. I wonder if there is such a thing as information overload.

Anyway, I thought your blog was very thought provoking. Thanks.

Thanks.

I like computers as tools myself, and for entertainment but my form is not this 3D stuff that requires no thought to play. I prefer gaming in a chat setting, like table tops simply because then the escapism is your own imagination.

Information overload is an interesting aspect of the net, but it is mostly cause by television than any other media because people don't have to read (*gasp* the gods forbid people have to think at least a little). But we are seeing an effect of information overload in the way children are raised. Penn and Teller (though on TV I found them on the net) did a brilliant 'Bullshit' episode on which pointed out that same observation from a parent who think others are worrying too much these days because of the media.

What I find interesting is their prediction of Microsoft competing directly with Google, there was a recent story about MS trying to take over Google by force but failed because of Google's power. Also the Googlezon thing, though they never changed the name Google may as well own Amazon now.

Thanks.

What I find interesting is their prediction of Microsoft competing directly with Google, there was a recent story about MS trying to take over Google by force but failed because of Google's power. Also the Googlezon thing, though they never changed the name Google may as well own Amazon now.

I had no idea that google had taken over amazon! That is interesting. Also, google may one day challenge MS for the desk top. MS licensing polices are awful - if google can inch into the desktop, that will be a battle.

They haven't bought it officially, but they are integrated. MS licensing policies are deplorable. They are trying to get rid of all third party software, which is the mistake Apple made a long time ago but even Apple learned from that mistake. Google I think is working with Ubuntu on the desktop, since all the Google tools have recently been ported to Linux and integrate with Ubuntu flawlessly. Also, do a search for Ubuntu on Google and you get almost all the OS/GUI links with very little outside links.

Last edited:
MS licensing policies are deplorable. They are trying to get rid of all third party software, which is the mistake Apple made a long time ago but even Apple learned from that mistake. Google I think is working with Ubuntu on the desktop, since all the Google tools have recently been ported to Linux and integrate with Ubuntu flawlessly. Also, do a search for Ubuntu on Google and you get almost all the OS/GUI links with very little outside links.

The problem with Linux is that there are so many flavors. When Novell bought SUSE, I thought that would decide it, but I was wrong. Maybe Google opting for Ubuntu will be the deciding factor. Red Hat has their head quarters near where I live. They are hiring the top notch programmers from the local universities. So it is hard for me to count Red Hat out...

Ubuntu uses a generic compile of Linux, their own flavor. Ubuntu itself combines KDE and Gnome, rather smoothly I might add. The major strength Linux has is the crossplatform compatibility, since the Linux OS can run almost any GUI in it you get to pick and choose. Ubuntu uses the 'Linux for human beings' slogan because it makes the whole OS accessible with the GUI, other Linux GUIs worked but they were often limited and thus why I didn't switch for so long. I love command line, but whe I am just browsing the web or using media I like the relaxed state that Windows use to have, I also like choices. Windoze has shifted to appealing to the simple user only, forgetting that the people who made them popular were the third party programmers. Linux however accomodates all users when you add the GUI. Not to mention the huge and growing Linux community while the Windoze community is shrinking. Mac is just stable, they appeal to the people who like toys.

I love command line.

I am giving away my age here, but this is too funny not to tell.

In the early 90s, I was on a committee where I work to discuss the merits of the new fangled thing called a "mouse." I could not get the darn thing to "point" and I got very flustered. In my write up, I said that people would never give up the command line - that pointing and clicking took longer than typing familiar commands.

now you know how smart I am .....NOT.....ROFL

*smirk* Change isn't something that everyone can take easily. I like it for my everyday activities, but for real work I prefer command line. Don't worry, I was there to, when the mouse had only one button I was thinking 'this is pointless' so dismissed it when they first started using it. I didn't even bother until the two button version came out, then it was workable, but still, it needed work. Now it's easy as hell to use a mouse, mostly because I got use to it but also because they added functions in GUI's to accomodate it. One thing I like about Ubuntu is that you can open a console then instead of having a lot of separate console windows you can open multiple consoles in tabs of the same widow ... so sweet.

*smirk* . One thing I like about Ubuntu is that you can open a console then instead of having a lot of separate console windows you can open multiple consoles in tabs of the same widow ... so sweet.

I'll have to take a look at Ubuntu. We have been mostly Red Hat, because they are local.

Having a power house with deep pockets like Google step into the Linux foray is going to be interesting. Have you played with the google desk top any? I tinkered around a little about 6 months ago. I Really do need to make myself play with the features more often. What do you think of their desk top?

I haven't tried the Google desktop, only hear rumors about it. I am too happy with Ubuntu now to worry much. The support, security, and customization level make it perfect for my needs both everyday and programming. The Java support in Ubuntu is actually bigger than any other as well, so I went off C++ completely as well. One thing I like about Gnome/KDE is that everything looks just how you want it to, while in Windoze the program has to be 'integrated' into the skinning interface or it looks off. I will look at the Google one, though I don't think they need to worry about it for Linux since again Ubuntu is making it easy to add Google tools. Even Firefox is loving Ubuntu, all of their apps have been compiled for Ubuntu specific standards and they integrate with Google as well. I use Thunderbird for all my Google mail, and Pidgeon for Google Talk, Pidgeon will work with all the messengers. I am a big fan of Google now, their programmers are much better than Yahoo or MS, so I wouldn't be amazed if they can overcome Windoze like they did the net.

I haven't tried the Google desktop, only hear rumors about it. I am too happy with Ubuntu now to worry much. The support, security, and customization level make it perfect for my needs both everyday and programming. The Java support in Ubuntu is actually bigger than any other as well, so I went off C++ completely as well. One thing I like about Gnome/KDE is that everything looks just how you want it to, while in Windoze the program has to be 'integrated' into the skinning interface or it looks off. I will look at the Google one, though I don't think they need to worry about it for Linux since again Ubuntu is making it easy to add Google tools. Even Firefox is loving Ubuntu, all of their apps have been compiled for Ubuntu specific standards and they integrate with Google as well. I use Thunderbird for all my Google mail, and Pidgeon for Google Talk, Pidgeon will work with all the messengers. I am a big fan of Google now, their programmers are much better than Yahoo or MS, so I wouldn't be amazed if they can overcome Windoze like they did the net.

I do coldfusion by day. I recognize a lot of what you are saying....honestly, I was raised on mainframes. I feel a little like a dinosaur in the c++ world. My dad is in the hospital. I may be scant for a while. I look forward to talking to you more a little later on.

Forum List

Back