Fraudulent charges on my credit card

xotoxi

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2009
Yuurmaam
I received a call from Discover today. Apparently, there were three charges to my account yesterday.

Sears: $800
Citgo: $600
JCPenney: $1200

All of them were in Pennsylvania and they were all keyed in.

Luckily Discover is going to investigate and I won't be responsible for the charges.

But I feel slightly violated...

Sorry about that! I'd feel violated if I were you too. It will be interesting to see how your digits got stolen and used like that.

As for me, I don't have credit cards. I'm on a cash only basis. It's cheaper and it protects me (somewhat) from this kind of nonsense.

I do have two debit cards for two separate accounts (mine and the child support, which I keep separate so that I can always prove how the CS gets spent--on the kids). Obviously, those digits could be stolen but they're covered much like a credit card in the case of fraud.

So anyway....good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Jen

$600.00 at Citgo? Someone's got a huge gas tank! Or maybe Hugo Chavez is in town and will only allow his limos to be filled up at the national gas stations? Xotoxi, are you sure you didn't loan your car to Hugo?

I received a call from Discover today. Apparently, there were three charges to my account yesterday.

Luckily Discover is going to investigate and I won't be responsible for the charges.

Sorry about that. I needed some new clothes, a lawn mower, a tank of gas and 5000 Slim Jim Meat Sticks.

That is terrible, Xotoxi, but who says they stole your number?

Earlier this week, I had a different situation. I went Christmas shopping. I tried to make four purchases that night. The third purchase was declined on the first two tries, but the third time it went through. On the fourth purchase it would not go through at all and I had to use another card.

When I got home, I called my credit card company and they informed me that they had blocked the attempts because of the unusual purchases, but not to worry IF these had been fraudulent purchases I would not have to pay for them. I wasn't worried.

The good thing was though that they did block the card temporarily because if my card had been stolen we all would have had to pay for it with higher interest rates.

Immie

Sorry to hear about this, but it will be cleared up....the thing is, you need to try and figure out how they got your number in the first place.

Same thing happened to me on my NFCU card. They cleared out my checking account from that card.

It got cleared up, (Navy Federal credit union rocks!) but to this day, I don't know how they got the number.

Needless to say, i got a better shredder...lol

I assumed you canceled it.

Credit card companies are responsible by law for fraudulent activities on your credit card, not you. So Discover has to eat the charges.

When mini echo was in preschool I ordered her pics and paid with them with a credit card because I was low on cash at the time.

Imagine my surprise when a few weeks later I open up my Visa bill and there is a charge for $750 on there for a computer. I didn't even have a computer in the house, but some scum at the picture processing center used my charge card info to order one in California.

Thank goodness the company cleared it all up, but since then I am VERY WEARY of using a credit cards for much of anything but emergencies.

Credit card companies are responsible by law for fraudulent activities on your credit card, not you. So Discover has to eat the charges.

The card is cancelled. Those are the only three charges in question, but when we get the bill, we will take a close look at it.

I wondered who would be responsible if the criminal is not caught. It would seem unfair for the consumer to be liable, and it would be unfair for the business to be liable...unless they were not following proper procedures for processing credit cards.

It makes sense that the credit card company would eat it, because they are making a lot off of interest anyway and can afford it. Plus, they probably have special insurance that helps cover losses.

$600.00 at Citgo? Someone's got a huge gas tank! Or maybe Hugo Chavez is in town and will only allow his limos to be filled up at the national gas stations? Xotoxi, are you sure you didn't loan your car to Hugo?

That was likely for ciggies. They're expensive these days.

I had a similar issue a while ago... bastard got over $3500 out of my bank account. Fortunately, my bank was great - they spotted it within hours, called me, I called the police, and eventually they traced it. Now, here's where it gets really fun.... The police are friends of mine and they called to tell me they had the evidence to arrest him. It was 3 days before last Christmas. So I asked them if they could hold off on arresting him until Christmas Eve - that way, even if he made bail, it would fuck up his Christmas cuz he'd spend most of it in a cell. They arrested him at around 5pm on Christmas Eve and he didn't get bailed until around the same time Christmas Day.

Moral of this story... cross California Girl at your peril.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

The card is cancelled. Those are the only three charges in question, but when we get the bill, we will take a close look at it.

I wondered who would be responsible if the criminal is not caught. It would seem unfair for the consumer to be liable, and it would be unfair for the business to be liable...unless they were not following proper procedures for processing credit cards.

It makes sense that the credit card company would eat it, because they are making a lot off of interest anyway and can afford it. Plus, they probably have special insurance that helps cover losses.

Their "special insurance" is probably fees passed on to the consumers. My hairdresser had her card stolen and the FBI got involved. Turns out there was a ring of counterfeiters in AC that were not only stealing people's cards, but duplicating them as well. It got busted up, but apparently it's a pretty common scam.

Nice that they caught it xotoxi. With so many cameras in stores now, maybe the thief will be caught too.

i have never had trouble with mine...*knock on wood* but my mother had her number stolen in california...we assume it was when she used it at the airport....by the time she flew out of california...there were over 3 k in phone calls to columbia and other south american countries...the issuer cancelled her card...which results in my mother being in washington dc with no credit card...somehow her issuer that cancelled the card....got her room held and paid for....but she had to call me collect....(she was so upset over calling me collect) lol

i always notifiy my cards when i travel....exact travel plans...so they dont deny charges...etc....i am amazed at how well card companies track the habits of their clients

Forum List

Back