Frat House

Dan

Aug 28, 2003
Aiken, SC
So, this was a documentary that was filmed for HBO, but never aired. It's about fraternity hazings and the reason it never aired is because several parents of the students involved sued HBO. There were some rumors going around about some events being staged, but these were never proven. Anyway, it's on Youtube now if you wanna see it, just do a search on 'Frat House'.

It's a pretty terrifying documentary, honestly. To see the lengths that these kids will go to just to be accepted as part of the "in crowd" is pretty ridiculous, but I guess someone like me will never understand the point of frats to begin with.

Anyway, it takes place at two different schools, the first was in NY or NJ, I don't remember, and in order for them to film at the second one, they had to keep secret what school and what frat it was. It's not so much what the pledges went through that was so scary so much as it was the brothers themselves, who revel in their creepy (and, honestly, kinda gay) hazings, then offering "well, now you're our friend" mostly as an afterthought. I've managed to go through all of my college career without ever really spending much time with any frat boys (thank God), so I really have no clue what would make someone want to behave like that, on either side of the hazing. I dunno, maybe someone on here was/is in a frat, maybe they can explain it.

But, yeah, it's a pretty good documentary, toward the end, in order for them to be allowed to show Hell Week, the directors have to agree to be hazed along with the pledges, so you definitely get a first-hand look at what goes on.

Oh, and it's directed by Todd Phillips, who went on to make Old School, which I thought was kinda funny, considering that movie was so pro-fraternity.

Never got the frat crowd. I never would join or pledge or whatever, but if i did i'd end up beating the shit out of the frat brothers the first time they told me to do something like lick their boot or some other shit. It'd never get to the gay shit. I guess it's for guys that want to be a part of something because they never were accepted for being themselves. I wasnt always Mr. Popularity but i never had such a low self-esteem as to subjugate myself to a bunch of douchebags who are just pissed off because their frat bros before them made them look like assholes.

Heh, yeah, frat houses make good comedies. I even liked PCU. I can't believe I just admitted that.

Dan said:
Heh, yeah, frat houses make good comedies. I even liked PCU. I can't believe I just admitted that.
Shut your pie hole. PCU is an awesome movie, don't you snobbishly insinuate otherwise.

You remember Brant? He skippered Hitler's catamaran during the war? :laugh:

My daddy was in 2 fraternities. Of course, one was an engineering fraternity, so I don't know if that really counts as "cool." :tng:

Not really sure what the hazing procedure was, but I do know that he had a "pledge paddle" that hung on his study wall, emblazoned with Greek letters... Except when it was taken down and applied to OUR bottoms! :D

My daddy was in 2 fraternities. Of course, one was an engineering fraternity, so I don't know if that really counts as "cool."

Heh, yeah, I mean, I know there are a lot of fraternities that aren't the stereotypical "frats", but that's just what I think of when I think of fraternities in general.

And the paddle was really nothing compared to the stuff the guys in this movie do. I wonder if they kicked it up a notch for the cameras? Either way, their hazings dealt with a lot of psychological torture, too, that was the most disturbing thing.

Thanks for the info Dan.

No problem. If you're into weird, random videos, you'll lose many hours there.

Forum List

Back