Frankenfoods? Hardly.

Zhukov

VIP Member
Dec 21, 2003
Everywhere, simultaneously.
The SA Council of Churches and 38 other civil society organisations have stated that they were opposed to the government's decision to allow the importation of GM wheat into the country.

The group sent a letter to the Registrar of Genetically Modified Organisms stating: 'We do not believe South Africa should be the first country to take the risk to allow GM wheat (seeds or seeds for milling) if the social, environmental and economic impact is of such concern to the rest of the world.'

http://www.greenclippings.co.za/gc_main/article.php?story=20040220125900175

Interestingly, such concerns exist only among those who are not starving to death.

Presently your local grocery store is stocked full of genetically modified food. Chances are every single banana you've ever eaten in your life was a clone of the same plant, which itself was a genetically adapted hybrid.

There is no danger from GM foods.

I don't know if the obstruction from Europe to allowing African countries to grow GM grains is genuienly a good-will reaction of fear or instead a homeland agricultural protectionist scheme, but if we can perhaps help feed millions of people starving around the world there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't try.

Zhukov said:
http://www.greenclippings.co.za/gc_main/article.php?story=20040220125900175

Interestingly, such concerns exist only among those who are not starving to death.

Presently your local grocery store is stocked full of genetically modified food. Chances are every single banana you've ever eaten in your life was a clone of the same plant, which itself was a genetically adapted hybrid.

There is no danger from GM foods.

I don't know if the obstruction from Europe to allowing African countries to grow GM grains is genuienly a good-will reaction of fear or instead a homeland agricultural protectionist scheme, but if we can perhaps help feed millions of people starving around the world there is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't try.

Some of the arguments against the issue of GM grains in under developed nations go from stupid to just plain rediculous.
I for one am in favour of allowing African countries to grow GM grains. Cultivation methods, and food distribution are bigger contributors to starvation than GM grains.

Forum List

Back