Franken Shuts Down Lieberman On Senate Floor

Yes, yes . . . God forbid you let someone finish giving you all the information. Hairy can come up with a bloody 2,000+ page monstrosity and that's just super! But give Joe an extra few minutes to let you know what his amendment will contain? Hell no! Let's shut him up so the bill can be voted on NOW, hurry, hurry, hurry, damn it. Who gives a fuck what's in it or not; gotta ram it through to please the Obamaster.

The Associated Press: Franken shuts down Lieberman on Senate floor
:clap2:
(AP) – 2 hours ago
WASHINGTON — Democratic Sen. Al Franken took the unusual step Thursday of shutting down Sen. Joe Lieberman on the Senate floor.
Lieberman, a Connecticut independent, currently is the target of liberal wrath over his opposition to a government-run insurance plan in the health care bill.
Franken was presiding over the Senate Thursday afternoon as Lieberman spoke about amendments he planned to offer to the bill. Lieberman asked for an additional moment to finish — a routine request — but Franken refused to grant the time.

"In my capacity as the senator from Minnesota, I object," Franken said.
"Really?" said Lieberman. "OK."
Lieberman then said he'd submit the rest of his statement in writing.
Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona came to his friend Lieberman's defense, saying he'd never seen such a thing occur.
"I must say that I don't know what's happening here in this body but I think it's wrong," McCain said on the floor.
Franken's spokeswoman, Jess McIntosh, said that the Minnesota senator wouldn't allow Lieberman to continue because time limits were being enforced by Senate leaders rushing to finish a defense spending bill and get to the health bill.
(This version CORRECTS Lieberman asked for an additional moment to speak, not 30 seconds.)

Terms like unusual step and routine request in the AP story make it clear this was a partisan move. Thing is, Lieberman's comments would have taken one minute. It took that long to object to the request and follow up. Saving time. Right.

He was instructed by Reid to not let ANYONE have even one more second.

Why do you people pretend this is not the case?

According to McCain, who was on the news report I saw, He has NEVER seen an action by the chair like this in twenty years on the Senate floor. Try to put this in perspective. The defense bill being considered is pretty important too. Why cutoff a speaker explaining his amendment when you don't normally do that?

According to McCain, who was on the news report I saw, He has NEVER seen an action by the chair like this in twenty years on the Senate floor. Try to put this in perspective. The defense bill being considered is pretty important too. Why cutoff a speaker explaining his amendment when you don't normally do that?

Cause my master has a first name, it's B-A-R-R-Y, my master has a second name it's O-B-A-M-A. Oh I love to please him everyday and if you ask me how I'll say. . . . by passing health care, cap and trade and spending millions everyday.

Terms like unusual step and routine request in the AP story make it clear this was a partisan move. Thing is, Lieberman's comments would have taken one minute. It took that long to object to the request and follow up. Saving time. Right.

McCain is full of shit.

Go back and study the shit the Rs did to the Dems in recent history while in power

This health reform bill is not good for America. Let the citizens and Doctors make the plan. Not those who want to build gulags. Wake up

Good idea. Get the industry out and let the people in, especially the people with chronic disease which has pushed them to the edge of bandruptcy and beyond; and doctors who spent too many hours arguing with insurance adjusters on the need for treatement for their patients, and too many dollars collecting fees from too many insurance companies reluctant to part with their bonus money.

Health care in America doesn't need reform, insurance companies need to be sent away and a single payer system put in place. A single payer system will save lives, save money and make the Lieberman's of the world go beggin for money somewhere else.

Last edited:
All a person has to do, is look at the state of politics these days. Nothing surpises me anymore. The quality of leadership in this country is no less than appalling. What happened on the Senate floor over ONE extra minute should tell a person everything he needs to know. If anyone trusts these people to lead this great nation has to be a moron.
Dogbert.....thoughts?

McCain is full of shit.

Go back and study the shit the Rs did to the Dems in recent history while in power

Link?

I think what Al Franken did was correct. This Joe Lieberman is like a megalomainiac. And he tends to ramble on without end once he starts speaking. Look at how he wants to be at the center of attention
by blocking a vote on the health care bill. The man Lieberman is one of those Jews that loves to get
attention, and be at the center of attention. Franken did the right thing by shutting him down.

I think what Al Franken did was correct. This Joe Lieberman is like a megalomainiac. And he tends to ramble on without end once he starts speaking. Look at how he wants to be at the center of attention
by blocking a vote on the health care bill. The man Lieberman is one of those Jews that loves to get
attention, and be at the center of attention. Franken did the right thing by shutting him down.

Thanks for the racist comment you moron. Are you really this stupid, the left had all of us conservatives believing that conservatives were the only ones that were racists. Wow you just blew them out of the water you baffoon.
He is a full fledged Senator that has as much right to speak as the next Senator. I think they were given 10 minutes to speak, and quite often asks for ONE more minute to finsih.
He isn't the one blocking healthcare, Nelson from Nebraska is.
Love the intelligence of morons.

Last edited:

Thanks for the racist comment you moron. Are you really this stupid, the left had all of us conservatives believing that conservatives were the only ones that were racists. Wow you just blew them out of the water you baffoon.
He is a full fledged Senator that has as much right to speak as the next Senator. I think they were given 10 minutes to speak, and quite often asks for ONE more minute to finsih.
He isn't the one blocking healthcare, Nelson from Nebraska is.
Love the intelligence of morons.

It is not Sen. Nelson, it is this ZOG, Zionists Occupational Government Agent
Jew, Lieberman, that is delaying the vote. And he is a megalomainiac, who loves attention. And he should have written his speech withing the time constraints of the Senate floor.Ten minutes for each Senator, why should he be given special treatment.?

McCain is full of shit.

Link?

Heres one where they shut down an investigation Conyers started by not allowing him to have a room to do it in.

They did this on election fraud too.

They had the least amount of investigation as any other congress

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/6/14/163150/899

How is cutting waste from medicare harmful to medicare?? Besides that do you have the specific quotes that you are talking about in their complete context?? It's should be hard considering that you have supplied so many quote concerning the dems on iraq.

I'm going to follow your previous examples from our interactions and pull a DRSMITH on you :lol:

Yes you are right it would be hard since Harry Reid wont release the latest version of the health care bill.

Franken is a disgraceful buffoon. He represents the worst U.S. Congress in History perfectly. His election was a complete fraud. He did not win. He should actually be arrested for fraud for stealing that election. How sad.

the republican party kept the lies for Bush and his wars built on LIES to the American people.

You will never see the democrats do that .

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oh crap, you were serious, weren't you? :eek: My advice: drink less koolaid.

did you see my post quoting him shortly after :lol: I gave him 20 examples of the dems peddling the same "lies" about Iraq :lol:

You really should keep racism out of the discussion 52nd, i though you were black and understood how ugly racism is....i guess you just pretend you are black huh.

Forum List

Back