Franken Shuts Down Lieberman On Senate Floor

The Associated Press: Franken shuts down Lieberman on Senate floor
:clap2:
(AP) – 2 hours ago
WASHINGTON — Democratic Sen. Al Franken took the unusual step Thursday of shutting down Sen. Joe Lieberman on the Senate floor.
Lieberman, a Connecticut independent, currently is the target of liberal wrath over his opposition to a government-run insurance plan in the health care bill.
Franken was presiding over the Senate Thursday afternoon as Lieberman spoke about amendments he planned to offer to the bill. Lieberman asked for an additional moment to finish — a routine request — but Franken refused to grant the time.
"In my capacity as the senator from Minnesota, I object," Franken said.
"Really?" said Lieberman. "OK."
Lieberman then said he'd submit the rest of his statement in writing.
Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona came to his friend Lieberman's defense, saying he'd never seen such a thing occur.
"I must say that I don't know what's happening here in this body but I think it's wrong," McCain said on the floor.
Franken's spokeswoman, Jess McIntosh, said that the Minnesota senator wouldn't allow Lieberman to continue because time limits were being enforced by Senate leaders rushing to finish a defense spending bill and get to the health bill.
(This version CORRECTS Lieberman asked for an additional moment to speak, not 30 seconds.)
another nitwit misconstrues what happened?

gawd, you're a fuckin' idjit!
:cuckoo:

The Associated Press: Franken shuts down Lieberman on Senate floor
:clap2:
(AP) – 2 hours ago
WASHINGTON — Democratic Sen. Al Franken took the unusual step Thursday of shutting down Sen. Joe Lieberman on the Senate floor.
Lieberman, a Connecticut independent, currently is the target of liberal wrath over his opposition to a government-run insurance plan in the health care bill.
Franken was presiding over the Senate Thursday afternoon as Lieberman spoke about amendments he planned to offer to the bill. Lieberman asked for an additional moment to finish — a routine request — but Franken refused to grant the time.
"In my capacity as the senator from Minnesota, I object," Franken said.
"Really?" said Lieberman. "OK."
Lieberman then said he'd submit the rest of his statement in writing.
Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona came to his friend Lieberman's defense, saying he'd never seen such a thing occur.
"I must say that I don't know what's happening here in this body but I think it's wrong," McCain said on the floor.
Franken's spokeswoman, Jess McIntosh, said that the Minnesota senator wouldn't allow Lieberman to continue because time limits were being enforced by Senate leaders rushing to finish a defense spending bill and get to the health bill.
(This version CORRECTS Lieberman asked for an additional moment to speak, not 30 seconds.)
another nitwit misconstrues what happened?

gawd, you're a fuckin' idjit!
:cuckoo:

exactly how was anything misconstrued? and i can't believe you don't realize that it was from the AP....

i will not be surprised if you don't answer.....

meh.. fuck joe lieberman. I hope Al Franken tears into more milquetoast motherfuckers in the senate.

Do you right wing hacks even remember how the repubs treated the dems while they were in power?

I bet that did a lot to secure Lieberman's vote.
I watched it on cspan and was shocked. This does not happen in the US senate.
This will come back to bite Franken and the democrats, wait and see.

You bet it will. I was watching Joe Scarborough this AM and he said much the same. Franken is a FRESHMAN Senator and apparantly doesn't realize he's lower than whale shit. He will fiind out though. What a maroooonnnnnn.

Funniest thing I've read in ages, "Franken was presiding over the Senate Thursday afternoon"

Yes, because this, THIS, will be the nail in the coffin for him to not vote for Health Care. Because that makes Joe such a great guy for voting not by what's good for this country but politics. :rolleyes:

Never mind how much his wife is getting from Big Pharm and how much he's flip flopped over the past four months. I do hope Joe does run as a Republican for reelection, because there's no way in hell he's going to rewin his seat.

Just because you and your ilk want something for nothing, does not make it "good for the country"

You want good for the country.. hone your skills, put yourself in demand, EARN more and either buy your own health insurance and care, or have it offered in a benefits package because you are in demand for employers

And do you REALLY wanna dig in to who is getting what from big Pharm??

You bet it will. I was watching Joe Scarborough this AM and he said much the same. Franken is a FRESHMAN Senator and apparantly doesn't realize he's lower than whale shit. He will fiind out though. What a maroooonnnnnn.

Dear partisan hack, he was ordered to not let ANYONE have even one second more by Reid himself.

Al Franken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Franken was born in New York City to Phoebe G. Kunst, a homemaker and real estate agent, and Joseph P. Franken, a printing salesman, and grew up in St. Louis Park, a suburb near Minneapolis.[6][7] Franken had a Jewish upbringing.[8] He is a cousin of MSNBC's Bob Franken,[9] and his older brother, Owen Franken, is a photojournalist. He graduated in 1969 from The Blake School, where he was on the wrestling team. He attended Harvard College and graduated cum laude in 1973 with a B.A. in political science.[10]

Dear partisan hack, he was ordered to not let ANYONE have even one second more by Reid himself.

I would have said the same if a FRESHMAN Rep had done the same thing. Both parties suck in my book. The Dems are in power so they suck a little bit more and who pays attention Reid???????

So funny to watch the Democrats fight amongst themselves like little schoolgirls fighting over their Bratz dolls.....

Beats walking in locked step like you partisan hacks do.

Now you are witnessing a real party at work instead of a pack of clones obeying their master.

So funny to watch the Democrats fight amongst themselves like little schoolgirls fighting over their Bratz dolls.....

Beats walking in locked step like you partisan hacks do.

Now you are witnessing a real party at work instead of a pack of clones obeying their master.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha...keep thinking that partisantruthhackmatters.

Forum List

Back