Franken Shuts Down Lieberman On Senate Floor

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
The Associated Press: Franken shuts down Lieberman on Senate floor
:clap2:
(AP) – 2 hours ago
WASHINGTON — Democratic Sen. Al Franken took the unusual step Thursday of shutting down Sen. Joe Lieberman on the Senate floor.
Lieberman, a Connecticut independent, currently is the target of liberal wrath over his opposition to a government-run insurance plan in the health care bill.
Franken was presiding over the Senate Thursday afternoon as Lieberman spoke about amendments he planned to offer to the bill. Lieberman asked for an additional moment to finish — a routine request — but Franken refused to grant the time.
"In my capacity as the senator from Minnesota, I object," Franken said.
"Really?" said Lieberman. "OK."
Lieberman then said he'd submit the rest of his statement in writing.
Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona came to his friend Lieberman's defense, saying he'd never seen such a thing occur.
"I must say that I don't know what's happening here in this body but I think it's wrong," McCain said on the floor.
Franken's spokeswoman, Jess McIntosh, said that the Minnesota senator wouldn't allow Lieberman to continue because time limits were being enforced by Senate leaders rushing to finish a defense spending bill and get to the health bill.
(This version CORRECTS Lieberman asked for an additional moment to speak, not 30 seconds.)

Reminds me of the haughty attitude of the rare fresh-out-of-OCS Second Louie, who get his rocks off by going around dressing down E-9s.

But you g'head there, smilin' Al.....Minnesnowtans are famous for not tolerating overbearing embarrassments.

I bet that did a lot to secure Lieberman's vote.
I watched it on cspan and was shocked. This does not happen in the US senate.
This will come back to bite Franken and the democrats, wait and see.

Yes, because this, THIS, will be the nail in the coffin for him to not vote for Health Care. Because that makes Joe such a great guy for voting not by what's good for this country but politics. :rolleyes:

Never mind how much his wife is getting from Big Pharm and how much he's flip flopped over the past four months. I do hope Joe does run as a Republican for reelection, because there's no way in hell he's going to rewin his seat.

Every one of our so-called leaders votes politics based on money dog, where ya been?
We need all new leaders. Stop voting for incumbents.
The dems still have spectors vote, now there is a man of honor-what do you think?

Sorry, but the whole idea of not voting for any incumbents is illogical thinking.

Every one of our so-called leaders votes politics based on money dog, where ya been?
We need all new leaders. Stop voting for incumbents.
The dems still have spectors vote, now there is a man of honor-what do you think?

Sorry, but the whole idea of not voting for any incumbents is illogical thinking.

Sending the same asshats(to use a usmb term) back to office is even more illogical.
If no incumbents were returned to office for a couple election cycles, things would change.

The Associated Press: Franken shuts down Lieberman on Senate floor
:clap2:
(AP) – 2 hours ago
WASHINGTON — Democratic Sen. Al Franken took the unusual step Thursday of shutting down Sen. Joe Lieberman on the Senate floor.
Lieberman, a Connecticut independent, currently is the target of liberal wrath over his opposition to a government-run insurance plan in the health care bill.
Franken was presiding over the Senate Thursday afternoon as Lieberman spoke about amendments he planned to offer to the bill. Lieberman asked for an additional moment to finish — a routine request — but Franken refused to grant the time.
"In my capacity as the senator from Minnesota, I object," Franken said.
"Really?" said Lieberman. "OK."
Lieberman then said he'd submit the rest of his statement in writing.
Republican Sen. John McCain of Arizona came to his friend Lieberman's defense, saying he'd never seen such a thing occur.
"I must say that I don't know what's happening here in this body but I think it's wrong," McCain said on the floor.
Franken's spokeswoman, Jess McIntosh, said that the Minnesota senator wouldn't allow Lieberman to continue because time limits were being enforced by Senate leaders rushing to finish a defense spending bill and get to the health bill.
(This version CORRECTS Lieberman asked for an additional moment to speak, not 30 seconds.)

Franken is the President of the Senate?

Wow! He's really moving up the ladder quickly.

I guess it's because he's good enough, he's smart enough, and gosh darn it people like him.

Forum List

Back