Frank Marshall Davis, alleged Communist, was early influence on Barack Obama

Angel Heart

Conservative Hippie
Jul 6, 2007
Portland, Oregon
Frank Marshall Davis, alleged Communist, was early influence on Barack Obama - Telegraph

Frank Marshall Davis, alleged Communist, was early influence on Barack Obama
New details about a black poet in Hawaii who was a key early influence in Barack Obama’s life can be revealed by The Telegraph.

By Toby Harnden in Washington
Last Updated: 9:25PM BST 24 Aug 2008

Although identified only as Frank in Mr Obama’s memoir Dreams from My Father, it has now been established that he was Frank Marshall Davis, a radical activist and journalist who had been suspected of being a member of the Communist Party in the 1950s.

Obama's true colours: Making of the man who would be US president

Mr Davis moved to Honolulu from Chicago in 1948 with his second wife Helen Canfield, a white socialite, at the suggestion of his friend the actor Paul Robeson, who advised them that there would be more tolerance of a mixed race couple in Hawaii than on the American mainland.

A bohemian libertine who drank heavily and loved jazz, he became friends with Stanley Dunham, Mr Obama’s maternal grandfather in the 1960s. Mr Davis died in 1987 at the age of 81, five years before Mr Dunham.

“He knew Stan real well,” said Dawna Weatherly-Williams, a close friend of Mr Davis “They’d play Scrabble and drink and crack jokes and crack jokes and argue. Frank always won and he was always very braggadocio about it too. It was all jocular. They didn’t get polluted drunk. And Frank never really did drugs, though he and Stan would smoke pot together.”

While his mother was in Indonesia during part of his teenage years, Mr Obama lived with his white grandparents. Mrs Weatherly-Williams said that the poet was first introduced to the future Democratic presidential candidate in 1970 at the age of 10.

More...

see gunny does need a yawn emotie :lol:

heh... yeah, i think so. I also find it really funny that the president can be an ex coke freak who is a dry drunk and was arrested for DWI when he was 40, but Obama is a "commie" because when he was in college, different ideas appealed to him (as if that wasn't the case for most people in college... well, except maybe Bob Jones U.)

Obama's casual link 30 years ago to someone (Davis) who was a member of an "anti-American" organization (the CPUSA) is no more relevant than Sara Palin's current intimate link to someone (her husband) who was a member until 2002 of an "anti-American" organization (the AIP). (Pointing out the links is not attacking unless you absurdly insist that such links mean that the candidates themselves are "anti-American" BECAUSE of the links.) What's good for the goose is good for the gander, especially when Palin's link to a "subversive" is both stronger and more current than Obama's.

old news...

*yawn*

Yeah, we don't want to bother anyone by letting them know that the formation of Obama's entire philosophy comes from his lifelong relationships with a long string of communists, extremists and domestic terrorists, do we? Or what that means for a nation that does not share his leftwing extremism. YAWN.....

But WOW Palin's husband once got a DWI more than 20 years ago -now THAT is so darn important to know about a candidate that it should be discussed for at least two weeks, isn't it? ROFL

Obama's casual link 30 years ago to someone (Davis) who was a member of an "anti-American" organization (the CPUSA) is no more relevant than Sara Palin's current intimate link to someone (her husband) who was a member until 2002 of an "anti-American" organization (the AIP). (Pointing out the links is not attacking unless you absurdly insist that such links mean that the candidates themselves are "anti-American" BECAUSE of the links.) What's good for the goose is good for the gander, especially when Palin's link to a "subversive" is both stronger and more current than Obama's.

It probably wouldn't mean much if it were the only one of its kind. Obama's problem -it isn't.

Yeah, we don't want to bother anyone by letting them know that the formation of Obama's entire philosophy comes from his lifelong relationships with a long string of communists, extremists and domestic terrorists, do we? Or what that means for a nation that does not share his leftwing extremism. YAWN.....

But WOW Palin's husband once got a DWI more than 20 years ago -now THAT is so darn important to know about a candidate that it should be discussed for at least two weeks, isn't it? ROFL

So your saying Obama is a mixture of a commie, extremist, and domestic terrorist? Spin Spin Spin Frazzled!

"Alleged communist." LMAO

Gary, Indiana

"In Gary
The Mills
feast
on ore and men . . .

Like potbellied hoboes
the mills snore
lying face upward
on the north horizon
their breath
like winter exhalation
fogs redly
the night sky
capers madly
on a black stage
hoboes
their stomachs filled
with ore
and men
hoboes
yes
they'll hit the road tomorrow
if the food runs low

The mills are always hungry
what a beast
they make steel in their bellies
it's hard to tell
men from steel

To the south
the town
squats on sand—
a lanky woman
the steel mills'
concubine

A hundred thousand people
Europe in America
Africa in Indiana
an extension of Mexico
the Orient transplanted
another Babel
all different
all alike
steel faced men
iron featured women
and plenty of women
for the steel faced men

A mayor
yes
and a city council
and officials
and graft
sure
and banks
and stores
and places
they eat the crumbs
the hoboes drop
and grow potbellies

Suffering
now and then
in the town
in hoboes
get indigestion
now and then
and don't feast
on ore and men
Well
anyway
old judge Gary
knew his stuff . . ."

Frank Marshall Davis Speaks

heh... yeah, i think so. I also find it really funny that the president can be an ex coke freak who is a dry drunk and was arrested for DWI when he was 40, but Obama is a "commie" because when he was in college, different ideas appealed to him (as if that wasn't the case for most people in college... well, except maybe Bob Jones U.)

Better research what a "dry drunk" is. The person who first used this term with Bush ADMITTED he was a very strong Gore supporter and politically motivated to say it. And never would have otherwise -meaning he didn't say it because he really thought it was true but because he hoped it would damage Bush politically. Because by definition it was never true at any point in Bush's life -much less now.

Bet it never crossed your mind how a "dry drunk" was able to do the job of governor so effectively that he was re-elected by the widest margin in Texan history, huh? (What a governor who ran for President when your ilk are insisting a governor isn't qualified to even be VP? LOL)

What am I saying. Of course you wouldn't wonder about that because you don't focus on facts or legitimate issues in the first place. Clearly you are satisfied with nothing more than being used as a character assassinating tool. Simplistic minds are always the easiest to manipulate.

So your saying Obama is a mixture of a commie, extremist, and domestic terrorist? Spin Spin Spin Frazzled!

No. I'm saying there is every reason to believe that Obama certainly shares the leftwing extremism at the core of all these ideologies. His record as a state legislator certainly isn't one consistent with any moderate political philosophy, sorry.

Why else would these be the people he surrounded himself with unless he shared core beliefs with them? The people I surround myself are those with whom I share many of the same core beliefs and values in the first place. You seek out those with whom you have nothing in common with at all or what? LOL

Bozos like you insist that if a Republican even makes a single speech at Bob Jones University and is never there before or after again -that alone is "proof positive" to you that he is a hardcore bigot and racist!

But now you want to pretend that the people a candidate chose to associate with all his adult life, one after another -have nothing to do with a candidate's philosophy and shouldn't even result in discussion about the shared core beliefs he had in common with them all? Get real. Talk about SPIN, SPIN and more SPIN!

Last edited:
No. I'm saying there is every reason to believe that Obama certainly shares the leftwing extremism at the core of all these ideologies.

Not really, but then leftwing extremism is no worse than the right wing extremism shown by many on these threads.

Liberal is only a dirty word to dirty minded conservatives.:razz:

I heard that he was cloned from one Carl Mark's stem cells.

Forum List

Back