France's National Dailies are in Trouble

Discussion in 'Europe' started by onedomino, Oct 16, 2004.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    The article below is about failing French newspapers. Do you think that printed newspapers are obsolete and will disappear? Where do you get your news? Before the Net, I used to buy the LA Times. Now I get 100 percent of my news from the Net. I watch zero television news.

2. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    This is a positive development.

Freedom of information exchange is the best guard against a uniformly liberal international media.

3. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Zhukov, if you are referring to the financial demise of French newspapers, I agree that less anti-American propaganda would be a good thing. The rise of the Internet and associated freedom of information is very desirable. However, Internet based freedom of information is far from guaranteed. For example, there is at least one important American Internet company that has decided to collude with totalitarian censorship:

Anyone interested in protesting Google licking the boots of totalitarian censors in China might try using a different search engine. An excellent alternative is Clusty. It organizes search results in a more effective manner than Google. http://news.clusty.com/

4. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Well, Google doesn't impose those search restriction on the free world.

That censorship is of course only applicable in China itself.

But some outside information is better than none. It is more than likely information that Beijing would not like it's citizens to see will inevitably get through.

5. padisha emperor

padisha emperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Interesting post, onedomino, about the french newspappers ;)

It is right that th Nouvle Observateur or Le Point are better sold like Big national dailies.
    But Le Monde os not a rag, first. It is the main french newspappers daily, with the Figaro.
    And Le Monde is not anti-American...the affinities of this newpapper are more at left than at right, but they don't hate at all USA, they certainly don't like Bush, but they haver nothing against the Americans.
    You know, I read articles from The NY Times who were more violent and "anti American" tha those in Le Monde...

It is correct thaty Internet is bad for the dailies, but they have oftne websites...

And maybe an other explaination : France is the country in the world with the most diversified press. So, their is more choice, so people doesn't buy always the same newspappers : they buy one day that, the day afetr this one, the following week this other....so, for ONE daily the sales are not fantastic, but maybe with the addition of all the sales of the newspappers and magazines, they are really excellent.
    i don't know, it is a supposition

6. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Padisha, if the French want to get their world view across to others, why are there no English versions of the major French dailies? If I am wrong and you have a link, please let me know.

7. padisha emperor

padisha emperor Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I search, I've not found.
    For the "Nouvel Observateur", there is.

It is amazing, really.

but there is nothing particularly wrong on these newspapers...

The 2 sites spoke of : Sport (victory of a french in WRC), interior politic (problem in Tahiti), and of course Iraq and US election : there are lots of things about elections.

It is not a question of "french point of view", not at all.

I will continue to search links ;)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1