France takes heat over controversial move

Dec 3, 2003
Fayetteville
Courtesy of aljazeera:

Thousands of Muslim worshippers shouted "death to France" during Friday prayers in Tehran after a sermon denounced a French plan to ban the hijab in schools.

Ayat Allah Ahmad Jannati called on Islamic countries to "threaten France with cancelling contracts and to reconsider their relations with France" over the issue.

After months of heated debate, a committee of French experts recommended in December banning "conspicuous" religious insignia from state schools, which are secular.

These would include the Islamic headscarf, the Jewish kippa and large crucifixes.

In a subsequent speech, French President Jacques Chirac came out in favour of the ban, which he wants written into law by the start of the next academic year.

But Jannati assured worshippers that all that was necessary was "a roar from Muslims, and the French would back off".

Religious freedom

Khatami says the hijab is a
'religious necessity'

He called on the French authorities to "let Muslim women express their freedom and carry out their religious obligations".

Ever since Chirac spoke on 17 December, Muslim countries have been voicing outrage at the proposed ban.

Numerous Iranian officials, including President Muhammad Khatami and nearly 200 members of parliament, have already called on the French authorities to reject the proposal.

"I hope the French government, which claims to be avant-garde in liberty, equality and fraternity, will cancel this wrong decision," Khatami said last week.

He said the "hijab is a religious necessity and its restriction is a sign of a kind of extreme nationalistic tendency".

On Monday, around 150 students demonstrated in front of the French embassy in Tehran shouting "death to France" and "death to Chirac the Zionist".

Religion is the opium of the people. Religion has only led to war and division.
Religious people are stupid. True modern societies protect their members from being exposed to the toxic relligions of others. :p:

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Religion is the opium of the people. Religion has only led to war and division.
Religious people are stupid. True modern societies protect their members from being exposed to the toxic relligions of others. :p:

you are welcome to your opinion but please do not call people that are religious stupid....the only trouble that comes from anyone is when they are extermist in there views...I believe that france overstepped itself on what or whatwasnt banned....they may have had good intentions but that has not been the outcome from this...speaking of extermist views...that is what your post is....toxic bullshit...

Originally posted by jon_forward
you are welcome to your opinion but please do not call people that are religious stupid....the only trouble that comes from anyone is when they are extermist in there views...I believe that france overstepped itself on what or whatwasnt banned....they may have had good intentions but that has not been the outcome from this...speaking of extermist views...that is what your post is....toxic bullshit...

I think he was being sarcastic.

Take notice of this.

The most extreme secular forms of government are the most dangerous to those who hold religious beliefs. Where as we (the U.S.), who have a secular government with judeo-christian traditions, are probably the most religiously tolerant people on the planet.

Why shouldn't Muslims just take over France? It would be racist for the French to resist, after all. Maybe rightwing avenger can pitch in with task of slaying whites in Europe so the ragheads can squat. HE is no racist, I assure you.

Gee, why should white people even exist? Isn't that racist? Why don't we all just kill ourselves so we don't offend anyone?

your about the most ass backwards fuck ive ever seen. everything boils down to being a racist with you. whats the deal with that? buckwheat shit in your cherios this morning?

Originally posted by William Joyce
Why shouldn't Muslims just take over France? It would be racist for the French to resist, after all. Maybe rightwing avenger can pitch in with task of slaying whites in Europe so the ragheads can squat. HE is no racist, I assure you.

Gee, why should white people even exist? Isn't that racist? Why don't we all just kill ourselves so we don't offend anyone?

Hey, I have white pride. I just believe individuals should be able to wear what they want and practice what religion they want. If they start destabilizing society, with their terrorist shit, they should be dealt with.

But these little Muslim darlings aren't just interested in wearing what they want. They're interested in Death to France. This isn't about trinkets. It's about a race war. I'm talking about it because it's happening here too and everyone ignores it. ESPECIALLY WHITE PEOPLE!

Originally posted by William Joyce
But these little Muslim darlings aren't just interested in wearing what they want. They're interested in Death to France. This isn't about trinkets. It's about a race war. I'm talking about it because it's happening here too and everyone ignores it. ESPECIALLY WHITE PEOPLE!

Do you have a problem with the Death of France? :D

william....when I want saved, I will ask...you same old is just that..old....maybe you should have been born 100 years earlier...you would have been happy

"Religion is the opium of the people. Religion has only led to war and division.
Religious people are stupid. True modern societies protect their members from being exposed to the toxic relligions of others. "

Communist huh? Sorry but Communism has killed far more, led to far many wars and divisions then religion ever has. the 20th century was the bloodiest century in the history of the world, not because of religion, but because of Communism (and fascism) two modern societies.

But we dont live in a modern society anymore, we dont live in a postmodern one either. Which is why, liberals, the post modern culture, are losing power. They live an outdate ideology.

Our society is on the verge of another great awakening. A time which will revive freedom and religion in America. A time when there will be a backlash to the societal deprivation of the post modern world. We live in an exciting time. Ideals of virtue and freedom are being reborn in our midsts.

Forum List

Back