France = Freedom

S

scubamike

This is something I just thought of.

With the whole "Freedom fries" carry-on, we have the word "French" replaced with "Freedom".

Surely this equates France with Freedom?
Is this surprising considering that France was the first modern Democracy?

Originally posted by scubamike

What the heck are you talking about? France was a Monarchy till the French Revolution which happened nearly fifteen years after our revolution. And then after Napolean was was ousted they reinstuted a Constitutional Monarchy. Where they had a republic with a Monarch as the figurehead. Where on earth are you getting the idea that France was the first modern Democracy???

Before suggesting it is a shining example of freedom, note that even Wikipedia basically admits that the french revolution essentially copied the declaration of the american revolution, but never succcessfully insitutionalized any of it and all fell into one bloody massacre after another. Although they show it has parallels with the Chinese Cultural revolution, which is a plus in some people's books. :D

Originally posted by Avatar4321
What the heck are you talking about? Where on earth are you getting the idea that France was the first modern Democracy???

Oops, typo. The orginal statement should've included "one of" and a plural.
My bad.

Possibly :p

Today I ran a half-marathon then gave a pint of blood so I'm not all that lucid at the moment. I'll probably have lots of cleaning up of my posts to do tomorrow...

Originally posted by MtnBiker
scubamike, hmmm I guess you would know how to backpedal.

Geez, there is no winning with some people. You admit an error and get accused of backpeddling. Umm, hang on, isn't Bush doing the same over international involvement in Iraq at the moment?

I don't peddle anyway, I 'blade. Cyclists don't stand a snowball's chance with the traffic around this city. :p

Today I ran a half-marathon then gave a pint of blood so I'm not all that lucid at the moment. I'll probably have lots of cleaning up of my posts to do tomorrow...

This anecdote alone really reveals the depths of your idiocy. Are you stupid or something? Did your friends and family ogle at your overachieving and giving nature, or did they just consider you an idiot too?

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Did your friends and family ogle at your overachieving and giving nature, or did they just consider you an idiot too?

You too can give blood. Unless there is something wrong with you...
In the USA don't they pay for blood donations? Or is that just sperm...

That was dumb. Who runs 13 miles then gives blood. Im suprised your alive.

Originally posted by MtnBiker
I'm suprised the blood donation workers let him give blood.

Actually they said I have a very high iron level. 154.
According to www.bloodbook.com normal results for Iron are:
60 - 160 µg/dL (normally higher in males)

Which is odd as I don't eat that much in the way of iron-rich foods and I usually give blood once every 3 months.

With the whole "Freedom fries" carry-on, we have the word "French" replaced with "Freedom".

Yes, well, the first modern civilizations started in the Middle East, too, but no one is calling them civilized these days.

Hey .... like they say in Hollywood, you're only as good as your last picture.

France may have been a democracy at one time, but it isn't now. Heck Jerk Chirac was trying to ban headscarves! Eventually, they'll be banning freedom of speech. To say France is a democracy is something of a joke!

Originally posted by KarlMarx
Yes, well, the first modern civilizations started in the Middle East, too, but no one is calling them civilized these days.

Hey .... like they say in Hollywood, you're only as good as your last picture.

France may have been a democracy at one time, but it isn't now. Heck Jerk Chirac was trying to ban headscarves! Eventually, they'll be banning freedom of speech. To say France is a democracy is something of a joke!

I dont think France has free speech to begin with. Heck i dont think Britain technically has free speech either. they just dont try make laws banning speech if that makes any sense. but there isnt anything saying they have free speech.

All I can say is ..... HUH?

So according to your "reasoning" the fact that the word "French" was replaced by the word "Freedom" somehow makes one synonymous with the other.

Mikie, either you need to brush up on your knowledge of the rules of the english language, or you need to check the mixture in those scuba tanks more carefully.

The term Freedom Fries was coined to avoid giving France credit for anything but being a Royal pain in the arse. Seems a little silly to me, but so be it.

It seems to me that Terrorism is the greatest threat to world peace since Facism and WW2.

Interesting to note that on June 6, 1944, Americans, Poles, Czechs, Canadians and French landed on the sandy beaches of Normandy in the name of freedom and democracy, something that was cemented in Europe with this historic invasion that cost us many lives.

France is our Ally, and has been for years. Democracy is really about being able to disagree and not be executed for it. Isn't it?

Originally posted by Merlin1047
All I can say is ..... HUH?

So according to your "reasoning" the fact that the word "French" was replaced by the word "Freedom" somehow makes one synonymous with the other.

Mikie, either you need to brush up on your knowledge of the rules of the english language, or you need to check the mixture in those scuba tanks more carefully.

How do you figure france was the first modern democracy? They didn't have their "independence" until AFTER the USA. DOH!

Originally posted by nycflasher
The term Freedom Fries was coined to avoid giving France credit for anything but being a Royal pain in the arse. Seems a little silly to me, but so be it.

It seems to me that Terrorism is the greatest threat to world peace since Facism and WW2.

Interesting to note that on June 6, 1944, Americans, Poles, Czechs, Canadians and French landed on the sandy beaches of Normandy in the name of freedom and democracy, something that was cemented in Europe with this historic invasion that cost us many lives.

France is our Ally, and has been for years. Democracy is really about being able to disagree and not be executed for it. Isn't it?

France is as much an ally as China is these days.

Forum List

Back