France bombs 'targets in Northern Mali

BecauseIKnow

Rookie
Aug 5, 2012
France bombs Islamist strongholds in north Mali | Reuters

(Reuters) - French fighter jets pounded Islamist rebel strongholds deep in northern Mali on Sunday as Paris poured more troops into the capital Bamako, awaiting a West African force to dislodge al Qaeda-linked insurgents from the country's north.

The attacks on Islamist positions near the ancient desert trading town of Timbuktu and Gao, the largest city in the north, marked a decisive intensification on the third day of the French mission, striking at the heart of the vast area seized by rebels in April.

France is determined to end Islamist domination of northern Mali, which many fear could act as a base for attacks on the West and for links with al Qaeda in Yemen, Somalia and North Africa.

Defense Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said France's sudden intervention on Friday had prevented the advancing rebels from seizing Bamako. He vowed that air strikes would continue.

"The president is totally determined that we must eradicate these terrorists who threaten the security of Mali, our own country and Europe," he told French television.

Residents and rebel leaders had reported air raids early on Sunday in the towns of Lere and Douentza in central Mali, forcing Islamists to withdraw. As the day progressed, French jets struck targets further to the north, including near the town of Kidal, the epicenter of the rebellion.

............:cool:

• Banned
What's the real reason for this? And what do they really think they will achieve? 10 civilians reported killed already.

I keep reading this over and over....
Still doesn't make sense.
Maybe I'm having a mental issue...

France attacked someone?......

Can anyone one on the board,friend or foe please help me.
Am I reading this correctly?....

• Banned
wait till they riot at home....

No one cares about rioting, this is just something the West can't stop. They need to understand they will only increase this activity in the region. They reap what they sow.

• Banned

lol....they might actually win a conflict...not. Jokes aside, they will get nowhere with this.

Looks like a " UN-backed international force had not been expected in the west African state until the autumn" France jumped the gun and they called a UN Security Council to discuss its action.

France's motives are pretty transparent. "The foreign minister made it clear that France was now targeting Islamist bases in the north and said Algeria, which shares a long border with Mali, had given permission for its air space to be used for bombing raids "without limit". For months, Gao has been in the hands of the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa (Mujao), which along with Ansar Dine has sought to enforce an extreme interpretation of Islamic law in northern Mali."

BBC News - France Rafale jets target Gao in eastern Mali

No one cares about rioting, this is just something the West can't stop. They need to understand they will only increase this activity in the region. They reap what they sow.

no one cares that the muslims will riot in france? It is after all what they do best.

and your "reaping what they sow" mentaliaty....is a very good reason to never let them into any country in the first place....see how that works?

• Banned
Yeah, they said it was waited off till September but looks like they couldn't afford to wait now.

no one cares that the muslims will riot in france? It is after all what they do best.

and your "reaping what they sow" mentaliaty....is a very good reason to never let them into any country in the first place....see how that works?

I said no one cares to riot. There won't be rioting. And I said these groups only increase in these regions because of the Western policy which will only increase those groups. They don't seem to get it. You give them a war, they will actually believe they have a cause and it will strengthen them.

Looks like a " UN-backed international force had not been expected in the west African state until the autumn" France jumped the gun and they called a UN Security Council to discuss its action.

France's motives are pretty transparent. "The foreign minister made it clear that France was now targeting Islamist bases in the north and said Algeria, which shares a long border with Mali, had given permission for its air space to be used for bombing raids "without limit". For months, Gao has been in the hands of the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa (Mujao), which along with Ansar Dine has sought to enforce an extreme interpretation of Islamic law in northern Mali."

so france is going to drag us into another war where we have to save their asses are they?

I said no one cares to riot. There won't be rioting. And I said these groups only increase in these regions because of the Western policy which will only increase those groups. They don't seem to get it. You give them a war, they will actually believe they have a cause and it will strengthen them.

watch and wait.... the muslims will riot in france... they always do.

A former colony, some six thousand citizens living there. Hostage-taking is on the rise and destruction of historic sites is following a similar pattern carried out by the Taliban in the past. The French only have a few hundred troops on the ground but are using air power to smack these clowns around. Even the French are sick of these assholes - that says something.

so france is going to drag us into another war where we have to save their asses are they?

Why would we be dragged into a 'war'? This isn't a war, it's a bombing pre emptive campaign. The militants only number about 800-900 and have primitive weapons.

How would you know? Are you from France? This topic isn't about rioting and I don't see it. That's not an important discussion. The discussion is about their 'objectives'.

Scratch that visit to Paris. I so wanted to experience Monet's Garden...in Giverny,. ..:mad:

6155855.jpg

11 government soldiers killed and 60 wounded. Two French pilots killed. 10 civilians. Unknown number of militants killed but expected to be high.

Why would we be dragged into a 'war'? This isn't a war, it's a bombing pre emptive campaign. The militants only number about 800-900 and have primitive weapons.

you need some history lessons about france it would seem.....

Mali is Africa's 3rd largest gold producer.

And has an estimated 1.1 billion tons of bauxite below the surface.

France could care less about Islamic radicals it wasn't for the natural resources.

How would you know? Are you from France? This topic isn't about rioting and I don't see it. That's not an important discussion. The discussion is about their 'objectives'.

how do i know.... its called paying attention to past actions..

Forum List

Back