Fox's Brett Baier asks the Dalai Lama if he's ever seen Caddyshack...

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
Fox News’ Bret Baier asks Dalai Lama if he’s seen ‘Caddyshack’

Bret Baier might want to take a mulligan on this one.

The Fox News anchor scored a journalistic hole-in-one during a recent interview with the Dalai Lama — opting to ask whether His Holiness had seen the classic 1980 golf comedy “Caddyshack.”

“Last thing: Have you ever seen the movie ‘Caddyshack’?” the former Pentagon correspondent asked.

“What?” asked the bewildered Tibetan Buddhist leader, raising his eyebrows.

Never change, Bret. :lol:

The Fox News anchor scored a journalistic hole-in-one during a recent interview with the Dalai Lama — opting to ask whether His Holiness had seen the classic 1980 golf comedy “Caddyshack.”

“Last thing: Have you ever seen the movie ‘Caddyshack’?” the former Pentagon correspondent asked.

'There’s a classic movie called Caddyshack where they talk about the Dalai Lama,' explained Baier.

'I see,' said the Dalai Lama.

'I had to ask you about it,' explained Baier.

'I don’t know,' said the Dalai Lama, a Nobel Prize-winning refugee who was forced to flee Tibet almost six decades ago in 1959.

The interview then ended with the two men thanking one another and Baier making his sixth reference to Caddyshack in less than a minute as he signed off by saying: 'Had to ask him. Big hitter, the Llama. Thank you to the Dalai Lama for that time.'

3565F08E00000578-3646727-image-a-10_1466171304805.jpg

Gopher day: There is a story about Bill Murray's character caddying for the Tibetan holy leader in the Himalayas

3565F08100000578-3646727-image-a-34_1466172210686.jpg

Good sport: Baier responded to the disjointed tone of the interview on Twitter Thursday, writing: 'Last question. Had to give it a shot'

3565F07800000578-3646727-image-a-35_1466172213068.jpg

Exclusive: And while he may not have gotten the answer he wanted, Baier is still the first reporter to ask the Buddhist about whether or not he had ever viewed the classic comedy.

The 'big hitter' question is in reference to a story told by Bill Murray's character Carl Spackler in the 1980 film about how he once got to caddie for the Dalai Lama on a course in the Himalayas.

The 'Lama', as he is referred to by Murray's character, is a 'big hitter' and does not tip at the end of a round, choosing instead to hand out affirmations.

Baier responded to the disjointed tone of the interview on Twitter Thursday, writing: 'Last question. Had to give it a shot. If he had said "goongahlahgoongahlah" - I would've fallen out of the chair.'

He later added: 'I thought I would cut my losses on that line of questioning at the end. But I would have liked total consciousness.'

And while he may not have gotten the answer he wanted, Baier is still the first reporter to ask the Buddhist about whether or not he had ever viewed the classic comedy.

Read more: Fox News host Brett Beier asks Dala Llama is he has seen Caddyshack
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I was always indifferent towards Bret, but I love him now. Who the hell asks one of the world's top spiritual leaders if he's seen Caddyshack? That's like asking the Pope if he's seen Dude Where's My Car. :lol:

I was always indifferent towards Bret, but I love him now. Who the hell asks one of the world's top spiritual leaders if he's seen Caddyshack? That's like asking the Pope if he's seen Dude Where's My Car. :lol:

That's why I looked up the referenced, to see what point he was TRYING to make.
And sure enough there is a reference and joke about the Dalai Lama in the movie.
He just never got to that point, because he lost his audience already!

Hate when that happens. Woulda made a great Zen conversation.
Instead we are left with an unanswered Koan riddle,
and the silence of one hand clapping without the other
to complete the punchline!

The people on Faux News are not journalists, they are circus tent shouters, so this type thing is what you'd expect from them. One of their modis operandi is to belittle any figure that their base of knuckle draggers doesn't identify with.

The people on Faux News are not journalists, they are circus tent shouters, so this type thing is what you'd expect from them. One of their modis operandi is to belittle any figure that their base of knuckle draggers doesn't identify with.
asking if he seen Caddy Shack was belittling the guy?....

Dear IsaacNewton
Taken out of context this seems like a dumb trick question to make people look stupid.
See my post that provides the rest of the context: the journalist
was trying to lead up to the joke in Caddyshack that mentions the DalaiLama.
This failed regardless, but that explains WHY he brought that up at all.

Dear IsaacNewton
Taken out of context this seems like a dumb trick question to make people look stupid.

I don't think it even failed. Quite the opposite. It created an awkwardness that was probably funnier than whatever joke Baier intended.

Well?

Has he?

HAS HE????

Not any worse than when a presidential candidate was asked boxers or briefs. Yes I know that was a teenager on MTV asking that my point is simply this not every question asked has to be serious.

Dear IsaacNewton

LOL Yes I think most people know the reference.

Catch up.

If someone had paid the reporter to embarrass himself, a better way could not have been found.

If someone had paid the reporter to embarrass himself, a better way could not have been found.
In late December when Fox shows highlights of the year, I expect this part of the Dali Lama interview to be featured.

IN the meantime, the Obama regime lets the Dali Lama out the back door of the White House where the trash cans overflow. No outrage here, huh?

IN the meantime, the Obama regime lets the Dali Lama out the back door of the White House where the trash cans overflow. No outrage here, huh?

Red Herring. Try to stay on topic or go post to the flame zone.

Forum List

Back