Foxfyre's Law?????????

Foxfyre

Eternal optimist
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 11, 2007
Desert Southwest USA
The other day a thoughtful member--I can't remember which one but I will acknowledge his contribution if he steps forward--suggested that we need some kind of Godwin-ist law as related to references to George W. Bush on internet discussion boards.

As most of you know, somebody named Godwin recognized a phenomenon now known as Godwin's Law. Loosely defined it goes like this:

Godwin's Law Definition

"As an internet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler steadily increases." There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that {thread} is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an {upper bound} on thread length in those groups. However there is also a widely recognised codicil that any intentional triggering of Godwin's Law in order to invoke its thread-ending effects will be unsuccessful.

I believe there is a comparable law that has been identified regarding former President George W. Bush:

As an internet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparsion involving George W. Bush steadily increases.

No matter what the topic be it fishing or animal husbandry or fashion or cooking or sports or motorcylcle racing, sooner or later somebody will mention that George W. Bush was an (expletive).

No matter how heinous or dastardly the offense--gunning down civilians in a mall or molesting children--the perpetrator isn't as bad as George W. Bush who "lied and people died."

No matter what assinine policy or proposal some member of Congress comes up with or whatever stupidity or ponzi scheme some celebrity commits, at least he or she isn't George W. Bush who "started two wars" (presumably single handedly.)

No matter how badly some idea backfired or what pain is created, it is far better than George W. Bush who is responsible for the deaths of a gazillion innocent Iraqis and Afghanistanis.

No matter how badly some national crisis is bundled, it isn't worse than George W. Bush who doomed thousands of people to die in Katrina.

Anyhow, you get my drift.

So what term or word would be useful to identify such arguments when they inevitably crop up just to save us time?

The same thing can be said of Stalin, Obama, Republicans, Liberals, etc. On USMB, as a discussion grows longer, all of these things will be mentioned and probably not in a positive light.

The same thing can be said of Stalin, Obama, Republicans, Liberals, etc. On USMB, as a discussion grows longer, all of these things will be mentioned and probably not in a positive light.

True, but get your own thread for your own law about that. :)

I want a term just to save time every time somebody comes up with another BOOOOOOOOOSH-ism.

True, but get your own thread for your own law about that. :)

I want a term just to save time every time somebody comes up with another BOOOOOOOOOSH-ism.

What I bolded people often use.

I don't like it because it feels disrespectful to our former President. But I am open to be overruled on that. Thanks for your suggestion.

I hope there will be others. :)

The full name would PROBABLY be something like:

Foxfyre's 'W' Corollary to Godwin's Law.

But in due course of time it would become Either "Foxfyre's Corollary" or simply "Foxfyre's Law."

Oh my. Can't we come up with something a bit more user friendly than that? A lot of internet posters can't spell 'corollary'.

But I'll register it as a suggestion.

BOOOOOOOSH-ism
Foxfyre's "W" Corollary to Godwin's Law

The full name would PROBABLY be something like:

Foxfyre's 'W' Corollary to Godwin's Law.

But in due course of time it would become Either "Foxfyre's Corollary" or simply "Foxfyre's Law."

Oh my. Can't we come up with something a bit more user friendly than that? A lot of internet posters can't spell 'corollary'.

But I'll register it as a suggestion.

BOOOOOOOSH-ism

I used spell check! :D

The fact that we can't come up with a good term is because of poor educational standards, something Bush promised to fix.

The fact that we can't come up with a good term is because of poor educational standards, something Bush promised to fix.

Ahhhhh, I should have added that one to the original argument. No matter what educational policies have ensued over the past 50 years, kids can't read because of George W. Bush. :)

Shut up you Bush Lov'n Nazi!

Last edited:
Just a corollary....

How long after you mention the Bush administration till you get a ....

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHH !!!!!!!

There is a perfectly legitimate reason to reference Bush and the Bush years and the GOP-in-power years...

...the right wants to put that power structure (albeit with a few new names) back in place as soon as possible.

There is absolutely every justification for reminding people of 'what was' in a discussion with those who want 'what was' once again to be 'what is'.

There is a perfectly legitimate reason to reference Bush and the Bush years and the GOP-in-power years...

...the right wants to put that power structure (albeit with a few new names) back in place as soon as possible.

There is absolutely every justification for reminding people of 'what was' in a discussion with those who want 'what was' once again to be 'what is'.

George Bush is going to run for president again?:cuckoo:

We will bring up BOOOSSHHH as long as Bush is blamed for Obama's shortcomings. Obama is the least responsible president in history, childishly blaming his predecessor for every failure he has in fixing whatever it was he claimed he was going to fix.

There are mostly perfectly invalid and illegitimate reasons to invoke Foxfyre's Corollary. They relate to the utter inability and total unwillingness of the scumbags of the loopey left to accept personal responsibility.

Can it be instructive and valid to point to the filings of a prior administration from time to time? Sure.

But when you hacks reflexively do it all the time and nothing BUT that bullshit to explain every conceivable ill in modern times, then you are being morally bankrupt evasive pussies one and all.

If you want to know what the RIGHT wants, it wants something much more important than merely replacing your defective idiots with a bunch of incompetent Republicans or RINOS.

We want the concerted and deliberate violation of the Constitutional limits on Government STOPPED. And as bad as the Republicans may be on that score, they pale in comparison to the present bunch of liberal Democrat jackasses ruining this nation.

Last edited:

George Bush is going to run for president again?:cuckoo:

We will bring up BOOOSSHHH as long as Bush is blamed for Obama's shortcomings. Obama is the least responsible president in history, childishly blaming his predecessor for every failure he has in fixing whatever it was he claimed he was going to fix.

Oh, there's the subtle twist on the syndrome isn't it? I suppose it should be included as a component of the syndrome that in addition to when Obama is criticized and his supporters point to Bush as their defense for Obama being terrible at something, there is that subtle twist that when the Obama supporters whine that their hero is being criticized, there is a strong tendency to defend the criticism by pointing to how much more Bush was criticized. :)

Okay, I think these are the nominations for the name of the 'law' so far. (Some it was hard to be sure of the member's intent):

Foxfyre's Law
Boooooooooosh
The Bushwhack
Bush Lov'n Nazi
The Dubya Directive

Waiting for a consensus that one of these or one yet to be nominated is just the right one.

Forum List

Back