Fox News Vp Says Fake Attack Story Will Kill Mccain Campaign

Fox VP: Hate crime hoax means McCain’s campaign is ‘over, forever linked to race-baiting.’»

drudgetodd.jpgFollowing the Drudge Report’s lead yesterday, news organizations picked up the story of a McCain campaign volunteer in Pittsburgh named Ashley Todd, who said that a black man mugged her, sexually assaulted her, and scratched a “B” into her cheek because she had a McCain bumper sticker on her car. The police quickly pointed out “inconsistencies” in her story. Todd has now confessed that she made up the story. On his blog yesterday, Fox News Executive VP John Moody, who is a Pittsburgh native, wrote that the incident’s credibility was inextricably tied to McCain’s campaign:

This incident could become a watershed event in the 11 days before the election.

If Ms. Todd’s allegations are proven accurate, some voters may revisit their support for Senator Obama, not because they are racists (with due respect to Rep. John Murtha), but because they suddenly feel they do not know enough about the Democratic nominee.

If the incident turns out to be a hoax, Senator McCain’s quest for the presidency is over, forever linked to race-baiting.

For Pittsburgh, a city that has done so much to shape American history over the centuries, another moment of truth is at hand.

Yesterday, before Todd had confessed, the McCain campaign put out a statement about the incident, saying, “We’re shaken up by this. It’s sick and disgusting.”

Think Progress Fox VP: Hate crime hoax means McCain’s campaign is ‘over, forever linked to race-baiting.’

so you don't respect Fox unless they say something that suits you?

This has nothing to do with McCain's campaign. If he loses, it's because he's already behind for all kinds of reasons.

I don't believe in guilt by association. So, unless you can show that she was somehow coerced by the campaign to do this or did it at the behest of the campaign, it's a non-starter. And I don't for a second believe the campaign had her do it or knew she was going to.

Let's keep to real issues.

I agree in principle.

The problems is, top McCain campaign staff were pushing this story, exaggerating it, giving incendiary versions of it to the press, and claiming that the "B" in her cheek stood for barak obama.

TPM Election Central | Talking Points Memo | McCain Communications Director Gave Reporters Incendiary Version Of "Carved B" Story Before Facts Were Known

So, fuck McCain's campaign. Its fair game to link them to this crazed nut. These are the kind of people that come out of the woodwork when you decide to run your campaign like a Nuremburg Rally

This has nothing to do with McCain's campaign. If he loses, it's because he's already behind for all kinds of reasons.

I don't believe in guilt by association. So, unless you can show that she was somehow coerced by the campaign to do this or did it at the behest of the campaign, it's a non-starter. And I don't for a second believe the campaign had her do it or knew she was going to.

Let's keep to real issues.

It is not Ayers or ACORN or this fake story that is going to keep McCain from winning. It is McCain's lack of discussion of the real issues and his GOP standard bearer predecessor who has totally screwed the public. Boooosh will always be remembered as the man who brought the GOP to its knees.

Fox VP: Hate crime hoax means McCain’s campaign is ‘over, forever linked to race-baiting.’»

Following the Drudge Report’s lead yesterday, news organizations picked up the story of a McCain campaign volunteer in Pittsburgh named Ashley Todd, who said that a black man mugged her, sexually assaulted her, and scratched a “B” into her cheek because she had a McCain bumper sticker on her car. The police quickly pointed out “inconsistencies” in her story. Todd has now confessed that she made up the story. On his blog yesterday, Fox News Executive VP John Moody, who is a Pittsburgh native, wrote that the incident’s credibility was inextricably tied to McCain’s campaign:

This incident could become a watershed event in the 11 days before the election.

If Ms. Todd’s allegations are proven accurate, some voters may revisit their support for Senator Obama, not because they are racists (with due respect to Rep. John Murtha), but because they suddenly feel they do not know enough about the Democratic nominee.

If the incident turns out to be a hoax, Senator McCain’s quest for the presidency is over, forever linked to race-baiting.

For Pittsburgh, a city that has done so much to shape American history over the centuries, another moment of truth is at hand.

Yesterday, before Todd had confessed, the McCain campaign put out a statement about the incident, saying, “We’re shaken up by this. It’s sick and disgusting.”

Think Progress Fox VP: Hate crime hoax means McCain’s campaign is ‘over, forever linked to race-baiting.’

No, I don't think so. The McCain camp got the same erronious information as the rest of us. If it were true, it would have been all over the news & it's not. It looks to me from the picture this is just a hoax from a nut-case.

Forum List

Back