Fox News Viewership Plunges 21% While MSNBC Grows

uscitizen

May 6, 2007
My Shack

The cable news ratings for the third quarter of 2010 were released today, and Fox News is showing signs of decline as their viewership has decreased by 21%, and their top shows all posted double digit losses, while MSNBC’s shows grew and the network attracted more younger viewers.

Fox News is still dominating the cable news ratings. The network has the top 11 programs in cable news, but there are ominous signs that the empire is starting to crack. Compared to the third quarter of 2009, Fox has lost 21% of their total viewers, and 26% of their younger viewers. The biggest loser on the network was Bill O’Reilly who saw his program The O’Reilly Factor lose 12% of its total viewers and 21% of its young viewers. Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Bret Baier, and Greta Van Susteren rounded out the top five cable news shows, and they each posted double digit declines.

Fox News is now averaging 1.831 million prime time viewers a day, and only 443,000 viewers age 25-54.

So fox is becoming the news channel for the 55 and over crowd?
oldsters do tend to be more gullible.

I guess we will start seeing more adult diaper commercials and such on there.
I wondered why all the bladder control and limp weenie commercials.

Last edited:

Old guys put on Fox and Friends in morning, hoping to catch a blonde bimbo beaver shot, and then spend the rest of the day watching Fox because they can't remember where they put the remote.

Glen Beck's ratings are down 25% from a year ago.

And keep in mind, by rightwing reasoning, the rest of the media is all liberal, so MSNBC has to compete with all that other tv programming for audience, while Foxnews has the rightwing market all to itself.

If you believe the right...

Old guys put on Fox and Friends in morning, hoping to catch a blonde bimbo beaver shot, and then spend the rest of the day watching Fox because they can't remember where they put the remote.
I have to admit that was funny as hell!!
:lol:

From your article
MSNBC has a total prime time audience of 687,000 which is a bit more than a third of Fox News’ total, but they have more than half of FNC demo (age 25-54) audience, with 229,000 younger viewers.

In other words, Fox has, even with huge declines, an audience 3x that of MSNBC, and double the audience in the big spending demographic.

The cable news ratings for the third quarter of 2010 were released today, and Fox News is showing signs of decline as their viewership has decreased by 21%, and their top shows all posted double digit losses, while MSNBC’s shows grew and the network attracted more younger viewers.

Fox News is still dominating the cable news ratings. The network has the top 11 programs in cable news, but there are ominous signs that the empire is starting to crack. Compared to the third quarter of 2009, Fox has lost 21% of their total viewers, and 26% of their younger viewers. The biggest loser on the network was Bill O’Reilly who saw his program The O’Reilly Factor lose 12% of its total viewers and 21% of its young viewers. Sean Hannity, Glenn Beck, Bret Baier, and Greta Van Susteren rounded out the top five cable news shows, and they each posted double digit declines.

Fox News is now averaging 1.831 million prime time viewers a day, and only 443,000 viewers age 25-54.

Nice edit job
:clap2:

From your link:
Fox News is now averaging 1.831 million prime time viewers a day.
MSNBC has a total prime time audience of 687,000.
That's more than 2 1/2 times the size....

Math is fun!!

Let's see.....
If we were to minus another 21% of Fox's current 1.831 million = 384,510
Which equals more than half of MSNBC's *total* number of viewers!

Beck's viewers by definition would have to be gullible.

Here's some more #s

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/11/09/cable-news-ratings-for-monday-november-8-2010/71477

Check out these numbers for the election... Devastating:clap2:

Midterm Ratings: Fox News Doubles Primetime Viewership from 2006, MSNBC, CNN Both Down

By Alex Weprin on November 3, 2010 1:50 PMThe first bits of ratings data are beginning to trickle in from yesterday, and it is looking great for Fox News Channel.

Here is what the cable networks drew on average From 8-11 PM ET:

•FNC: 6.957 million total viewers, 2.43 million A25-54
•CNN: 2.423 million total viewers, 1.03 million A25-54
•MSNBC: 1.945 million total viewers, 669,000 A25-54
Compared to the 2006 midterm elections, Fox News more than doubled its total viewership, while CNN was down significantly and MSNBC was down slightly.

Not surprisingly, the numbers for all three networks are down significantly from election night 2008.

Update: Numbers from 7 PM-1 AM and 7 PM- 3 AM are after the jump.

7PM ET-1 AM ET

FNC: 6.078 million total viewers, 2.184 million A25-54

CNN: 2.081 million total viewers, 917,000 A25-54

MSNBC: 1.698 million total viewers, 638,000 A25-54

7 PM ET-3 AM ET

FNC: 5.051 million total viewers, 1.860 million A25-54

CNN: 1.745 million total viewers, 778,000 A25-54

MSNBC: 1.495 million total viewers, 584,000 A25-54

Early indications show that FNC may have a clean sweep, even beating the broadcast network election coverage. That said, the final numbers for the broadcast networks will not be available until tomorrow morning, http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser...ewership-from-2006-msnbc-cnn-both-down_b38163

Last edited:
It's not surprising the Fox is losing viewship. Most of their viewers are over 55 and they are dying off.

Also MSNBC is the best cable news out there...much better than Fox or CNN.

Nice edit job
:clap2:

From your link:
Fox News is now averaging 1.831 million prime time viewers a day.
MSNBC has a total prime time audience of 687,000.
That's more than 2 1/2 times the size....

Math is fun!!

Let's see.....
If we were to minus another 21% of Fox's current 1.831 million = 384,510
Which equals more than half of MSNBC's *total* number of viewers!

Edit job?? if you look you will see that same line in my post.
Must be the eyes failing from old age?
fox viewers are so observant.

True story. I went to my church on a Wednesday service. All the old people were around the TV watching Fox News and then I decided to talk to them why they would watch that. And they literally said "Why is it so wrong?" I told them I believe it doesn't tell the facts correctly. They got upset and started their rheotic and I just said whatever.

But the one thing is the benefit Fox News is their fear tactics are geared toward them. Scare them and they will be the ones to vote Republican, buy gold and overall just live in fear.

I think being right without explaination is worse than what Fox News does. No Ambiguity, just the facts. But with the Internet blogs these days, the truth is clouded.

What is it with you libs? 25 to 54 age group is 3 times MSNBC and depending on the program 4 to 5 times what world do you people live in?

Fox is not news. It's an entertainment network. It's second largest shareholder is terrorist sympathizer Saudi Prince Alwaleed and I'm sure Fox follows it's instructions perfectly.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w39FnpuMRfo&feature[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0os49nCbBJs[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum List

Back