Fox News Projects Owens to win, Republicans lose Seat for First Time in Century.

Actually, this is the best way it could turn out for the Republican Party. If Hoffman had won a squeaker in a district that has been traditionally a strong Republican district, the Conservatives would have seen that as a mandate. And, in 2010, thown a bunch of seats to the Democrats in districts with a much less strong Republican background.
Plus, it makes Palin look about as effective of a "campaigner" (for somebody) as Obama!

Another blow to Sarah...I loves it!

That's simply wrong according to the chart at the link.

I see a Democrat cat that assumed the office in 1923 and obviously got re-elected at least a couple of times, served eleven years before resigning the seat in 1934 to take a robe on the bench.

So would it be the 1934 election last won by a Dem there? That's not quite 100 years, but who's counting or looking for any kind of accuracy, when regurgitated hyperbole is so much more fun for partisans?

Look at my link above. I'm pretty sure it has to do something with land area or along the lines of that.
There's another couple of problems here as well:
Charles A. Buckley
Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New York's 23rd congressional district

1935–1945

^^TEN years there, had to have won the seat then got re-elected.

Walter A. Lynch

1945 - 1951

^^This cat served six.

Sidney A. Fine

1951–1953

^^Two year term there.

Isidore Dollinger

1953–1959

^^Up to '59 now...

The "100 years" talking point is shrinking fast.

Again, I'm only reporting it. I highly doubt that every single media outlet would get such a fact wrong. And this is not just one, but all of them.

I'm sure it has to do something with redistricting.

Way I see it, for an NKOTB (Hoffman) to come late and take it to a close call will tell Conservatives that there is a substantial section of America that is pissed to hell with both the GOP and the DNC. That is bad for both parties.

And the DNC got kicked to hell in the rest so all in all, no matter how fast you spin, this is not a good night for the Obamanation. He can't get his base out to vote unless he is on the ballot.

Again, I'm only reporting it. I highly doubt that every single media outlet would get such a fact wrong. And this is not just one, but all of them.

Maybe it's a buzzword that got picked up and nobody bothered to fact check it. Wouldn't be the first time we've seen such sloppiness.

Again, the chart shows NO redistricting between 1903 and 1935.

Last edited:

You should do a little fact checking instead of being a DNC parrot....
but anyway...if you look at the phrase in the literal sense...it is the first time the Republicans lost that seat in THIS century...not a century....it is correct.

Maybe it's a buzzword that got picked up and nobody bothered to fact check it. Wouldn't be the first time we've seen such sloppiness.

Again, the chart shows NO redistricting between 1903 and 1935.
Dogbert parrots the media without fact checking, so that sort of sloppiness is his speed.

Samuel S. Stratton (D)

1983–1989

Were these guys all just given the seat? Never won them in an election?

Nothing has really changed. It is more accurate to say that a conservative has not held the seat for the past 100 years.

An R or a D really doesn't say much. It gives the Dems one more seat in the house. Big deal.

In the end, it is ideology that matters. Though looking at the results, I have to say that the polling sure seemed to be off by a mile. Not surprising really.

Yeah, & I'll bet that Owens because of the nature of this district is a blue dog democrat--aka as a conservative democrat. He knows if he screws up--he's gone. In fact, he's probably more conservative than a liberal female democrat that had an R behind her name---:lol:

So I am not really "upset" over this loss. In fact, I find it amazing that an unknown--kind of goofy guy--& one that jumped into this race basically at the last minute was able to come so close to winning it & against a seasoned politician.

But, one thing for certain. Instead of the republican party picking our candidates in the back of a pizza palor in the future--they probably will go to a primary with actual debates--because in reality they just wasted 900K dollars to promote Dede--who then backed out & endorsed a democrat. So I doubt the republican party will make the same mistake twice.

$To save the world I demand 1 trillion dollars.jpg

Michael R. McNulty (D)

1989–1993

Getting into your lifetime now Bobby!

Yawn, and the ankle biters (Modo and Patek) attempt their cheap shots because Midnight thinks he got a gotcha moment.

FOX News - Opinion - Opinion - Bad News for Barack on Tuesday?

New York: The New York Special Election to fill the vacant seat of Congressman McHugh is a mess. The District 23 seat in upstate New York has been a safe Republican seat for over a 100 years. We would not even be talking about this race had Congressman McHugh not resigned to join the Obama administration as Secretary of the Army. That is water over the dam.

INO.com News - Owens Edges Hoffman For NY-23 Seat (rtt)

RTTNews) - Democrat Bill Owens outlasted Conservative candidate Doug Hoffman on Tuesday to claim the vacant seat for New York State's 23rd Congressional District - becoming the first Democrat to win the seat in more than 100 years.

Preview of Crist vs. Rubio playing out in N.Y.? – Political Insider - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL - Archive

And the nail:

As a former New York reporter, I can tell you District 23 has been unquestionably Republican for years. You have to go back more than 100 years to find a Democrat who represented this area of Upstate New York in Congress. Just look at the 2000 election results. While Al Gore defeated George W. Bush 60 percent to 35 percent statewide, Bush won the 23rd district.

Yawn, and the ankle biters (Modo and Patek) attempt their cheap shots because Midnight thinks he got a gotcha moment.

FOX News - Opinion - Opinion - Bad News for Barack on Tuesday?

New York: The New York Special Election to fill the vacant seat of Congressman McHugh is a mess. The District 23 seat in upstate New York has been a safe Republican seat for over a 100 years. We would not even be talking about this race had Congressman McHugh not resigned to join the Obama administration as Secretary of the Army. That is water over the dam.

INO.com News - Owens Edges Hoffman For NY-23 Seat (rtt)

RTTNews) - Democrat Bill Owens outlasted Conservative candidate Doug Hoffman on Tuesday to claim the vacant seat for New York State's 23rd Congressional District - becoming the first Democrat to win the seat in more than 100 years.

Preview of Crist vs. Rubio playing out in N.Y.? – Political Insider - Sarasota Herald-Tribune - Sarasota, FL - Archive

And the nail:

As a former New York reporter, I can tell you District 23 has been unquestionably Republican for years. You have to go back more than 100 years to find a Democrat who represented this area of Upstate New York in Congress. Just look at the 2000 election results. While Al Gore defeated George W. Bush 60 percent to 35 percent statewide, Bush won the 23rd district.
.You really should fact check, but you don't - at least you've been nailed on your sloppiness at least twice in the last week. When you get into hot water on that front, you just cannot own up to it. That would take maturity.

Midnight thinks he got a gotcha moment.
I don't think I have anything, besides questions as to why the chart doesn't show what is claimed.

Just because 100 news outlets say something, doesn't automatically make it right. Did you study the chart? Can you explain it? I did, and can't.

It shows a HELL of alot of Dems holding that seat well within the claimed 100 years.

Last edited:
.You really should fact check, but you don't - at least you've been nailed on your sloppiness at least twice in the last week. When you get into hot water on that front, you just cannot own up to it. That would take maturity.

I did fact check, and I was right. I wasn't nailed on any sloppiness or are you that delusional? I think you're having a debate with me in that head of yours.

I don't think I have anything, but questions as to why the chart doesn't show what is claimed.

Just because 100 news outlets say something, doesn't automatically make it right. Did you study the chart? Can you explain it? I did, and can't.

That specific district is the one they're talking about. That specific district and amount of land. It has been over a hundred years since a Democrat has won a seat in that area.

Here you go Midnight:

Democrat Bill Owens wins hard-fought race for 23rd congressional seat | News from The Post-Standard -

The outcome made history in the rural House district covering Northern and Central New York, one of the geographically largest east of the Mississippi. It is the first time someone other than a Republican has represented the heart of the region – Jefferson, St. Lawrence and Franklin counties – since the GOP was established in 1856 and the first Republicans were seated in the House in 1857.

The last Democrat to serve the region was Frances E. Spinner, who represented St. Lawrence County in Congress from 1855 to 1857.

Will that answer your questioning?

I did fact check, and I was right. I wasn't nailed on any sloppiness or are you that delusional? I think you're having a debate with me in that head of yours.
Yes, you are nailed on your sloppiness here, and your sloppiness here (and subsequently here). Weaseling afterward is what the immature do.

I don't think I have anything, but questions as to why the chart doesn't show what is claimed.

That specific district is the one they're talking about. That specific district and amount of land. It has been over a hundred years since a Democrat has won a seat in that area.
It doesn't look that way. You're telling me 20 Dems inherited that seat due to redistricting, even when it's "redistricted to" and "redistricted from?"

And none got re-elected, just sort of got to keep the seat for term after term?

Did you look at the chart and the explanation of it?

Forum List

Back