Fox News Poll: Iran and the Bomb Equals Disaster

toomuchtime_

Gold Member
Dec 29, 2008
A majority of American voters think military force will be necessary to stop Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapons program, and many think it will be “a disaster” if Iran gains nuclear capabilities.

A Fox News poll released Tuesday finds that 60 percent of voters think force will be required to stop Iran, while 25 percent think diplomacy and sanctions alone will work.

PDF: Click here for full poll results.

Just over half of Democrats (51 percent) and independents (51 percent) think force will be necessary, as do three-quarters of Republicans (75 percent).

If Iran were to obtain the capability to use nuclear weapons, 56 percent think that would be “a disaster,” while 37 percent call it “a problem that can be managed” and 3 percent say it wouldn’t be a problem at all.

Despite a slim majority of Democrats thinking it would be a disaster (51 percent), a large minority think it would be a problem that could be managed (42 percent). In stark contrast, Republicans -- by a wide 36 point margin -- think Iran with nukes would be a disaster (60 percent).

President Obama’s job rating for handling Iran stands at 41 percent approval and 42 percent disapproval, with the remaining 17 percent of voters unsure. For his handling of terrorism, 50 percent of voters say they approve and 40 percent say they disapprove. The president receives his highest approval rating on Afghanistan, with 51 percent approving of his handling of the war. That’s up from 49 percent in December.

FOXNews.com - Fox News Poll: Iran and the Bomb Equals Disaster

The biggest concern about Iran having a nuclear weapon is the instability in their government. If they were a stable democracy or even a stable dictatorship I'd be far less concerned but the recent elections and the rioting afterwords has shown that the country is as stable as many thought. The thought of Iran's current government having nukes, doesn't scare me at all... they are crazy totalitarians but they certainly are not suicidal. The US has thousands of nukes. They'll have one. North Korea has six. There's no winning a nuclear war.

Do I think we need to take military action? Uh... no, absolutely not. Anybody who thinks that needs to sit down and shut up. We don't have the resources or money for more occupations. Fact is though, we are going to Iran. The neo-cons are pushing this very heavily right now. I can seriously see it on the horizon already.

Forum List

Back