Fox News: Palin didn't know Africa was a continent

Good points.

I'm reluctant to think she really is this dumb. I've never met a college educated person with a highly responsible professional job who thought Africa was a "country". Its almost too frightening to contemplate.

If it is true, McCain should have gracefully found a way to get her off the ticket, because it would be borderline treason to intentionally select someone this dumb to be a potential president.

President Bush thought that Africa was a country, as well.

early in his presidency, he made the gaff in one of his speeches or press conferences, if memory serves me. let me see if i can find a link...

Care

Silly me, I thought the fourth estate was supposed to give us information on which to make informed decisions, not act as a gossip column and trashmouth people when the information no longer matters.

:clap2:

I would add that the press should also not act as cheerleaders.

My bullshit meter is pegging out.

I'm not buying this. There's two things I know....

Fox News lies.

And Republicans are willing to smear and discredit their own, when it suits their purpose. Hello? Colin Powell?

I'll tell you what this is....some bitter and (now) unemployed McCain campaign staff trying to smear Palin, totally discredit her, and divert blame onto her.

I don't believe for a second a college graduate and Governor of a state thinks Africa is a "country".

C'mon man, republican lies are so transparent, this is obviously a smear.

exactly!

Sarah Palin is a neo-con but she's not stupid!

It's shameful the way the conservative media will slash her to bits especially after the crying they did about the liberal media supposedly doing it.

:clap2:

I would add that the press should also not act as cheerleaders.

depends... they acted as cheerleaders for the civil rights movement and for the end of the McCarthy Era.

Sometimes truth has a liberal bias.

What I don't like is this pre-emptive strike on her... she didn't write to McCain begging to be made his VP pick. I was the first to criticize that pick, but that doesn't mean you now stomp on her head and eviscerate her for doing exactly what she was brought in to do.

depends... they acted as cheerleaders for the civil rights movement and for the end of the McCarthy Era.

Sometimes truth has a liberal bias.

What I don't like is this pre-emptive strike on her... she didn't write to McCain begging to be made his VP pick. I was the first to criticize that pick, but that doesn't mean you now stomp on her head and eviscerate her for doing exactly what she was brought in to do.

Nothing wrong with cheerleading when it is opinion and commentary.

Nothing wrong with cheerleading when it is opinion and commentary.

I agree to a degree. But sometimes, there is only one rational view to be had of facts. For example, writing about segregation, by its nature, requires a point of view on the subject.

Also, do you think that when Judy Miller shilled for the admin to get street cred for the war, the Times really should have done a better job shutting her down?

the problem is that if it's not true, it almost should be. that's what the press does, it likes things that fit its narrative on the person. more troubling, though, don't you think, assuming they aren't lying about repubs over at fox news, that maybe that information was important BEFORE election day? And, if the "sources" aren't good ones, and the story isn't true, I'm not sure I understand the point of trying to trash her after the fact when the whole thing is done anyway.

Silly me, I thought the fourth estate was supposed to give us information on which to make informed decisions, not act as a gossip column and trashmouth people when the information no longer matters.

I can watch her interviews with Couric and Gibson and no that those questions were very reasonable and her answers were idiotic.

Whether she knows or not that Africa is a continent doesn't matter. She didn't prepare for those interviews and her complete ignorance and total stupidity showed through.

Then, I can watch her debate and see that she was very well "prepped" (not prepared) and coached, but still her idiocy is there under the trained answers even if it isn't apparent for someone with a dogmatic conservative ideology.

I can watch her interviews with Couric and Gibson and no that those questions were very reasonable and her answers were idiotic.

Whether she knows or not that Africa is a continent doesn't matter. She didn't prepare for those interviews and her complete ignorance and total stupidity showed through.

Then, I can watch her debate and see that she was very well "prepped" (not prepared) and coached, but still her idiocy is there under the trained answers even if it isn't apparent for someone with a dogmatic conservative ideology.

Get that hate out of you system, dude. She gone--poof--not VP. We have a black president now--it's history--embrace it !!

Get that hate out of you system, dude. She gone--poof--not VP. We have a black president now--it's history--embrace it !!

Sadly she is not gone. When Ted Stevens wins his election and is expelled from the Senate, Sarah Palin will jump in, win the special election and take his seat. Ugh.

I'm sure the 2 women on here that love to defend her will continue to defend her stupidity, ignorance, and downright low IQ

Sadly she is not gone. When Ted Stevens wins his election and is expelled from the Senate, Sarah Palin will jump in, win the special election and take his seat. Ugh.

I believe she does not need to stand election, I believe it will be by appointment.

She can appoint whom she wants or she can resign and have her lieutenant governor appoint her.

I'm sure the 2 women on here that love to defend her will continue to defend her stupidity, ignorance, and downright low IQ

Well I don't love to defend her (quite the opposite) but she is a passionate woman trying to make a difference in the world, and I do feel some sympathy for her situation. To be honest I had forgotten who was in NAFTA too. And that is not the same as not knowing what North America is. The countries that make up NAFTA is in the part of my brain that files "not necessary for today's tasks but can be retrieved if needed."

I don't think she has a low IQ she is just ignorant of world stuff (not a crime) and a little arrogant (she can learn) and a lot subject to magical thinking aka god's willism (that is the main problem).

I believe she does not need to stand election, I believe it will be by appointment.

She can appoint whom she wants or she can resign and have her lieutenant governor appoint her.

You might be right but It's my understanding that she can only appoint someone for the time between the expulsion and the results of the special election, which she'll win anyway. I could be wrong though.

Good points.

I'm reluctant to think she really is this dumb. I've never met a college educated person with a highly responsible professional job who thought Africa was a "country". Its almost too frightening to contemplate.

If it is true, McCain should have gracefully found a way to get her off the ticket, because it would be borderline treason to intentionally select someone this dumb to be a potential president.

Look, I don't know how accurate the original story is, but all of this talk about a college educated person is not relevant. I've met many people with college degrees that left me feeling astounded at their ignorance. I've sat in college classes with people asking myself how the hell they managed to even get into college. Being a college graduate doesn't guarantee that you don't have serious gaps in knowledge, especially when you consider that most of her college experience was at small community college type places which are not known for their academic rigor. I'm not saying this story about her is true, but being a "college graduate" in no way makes it impossible.

Well I don't love to defend her (quite the opposite) but she is a passionate woman trying to make a difference in the world, and I do feel some sympathy for her situation. To be honest I had forgotten who was in NAFTA too. And that is not the same as not knowing what North America is. The countries that make up NAFTA is in the part of my brain that files "not necessary for today's tasks but can be retrieved if needed."

I don't think she has a low IQ she is just ignorant of world stuff (not a crime) and a little arrogant (she can learn) and a lot subject to magical thinking aka god's willism (that is the main problem).

I am unsure about the sympathy you feel for her situation. To me it seems a lot of her situation was brought upon herself. She did not have to accept the vp position. Sure, it's hard to turn down, but if she has so much to deal with as a mother of 5, then it seems that would take priority. Furthermore, after deciding to accept the position, don't you think she should make every effort to gain as much relevant knowledge about national governance as possible? Then, after being exposed on her lack of knowledge, rather than admit she was unsure and make an effort to learn she tried to blame it on the media. I just feel that she has what I call folksy arrogance. I've known many people who fit that description. People who are good people, blue collar people, but think they know everything they need to know and aren't interested in the rest of the world.

"Well I don't love to defend her (quite the opposite) but she is a passionate woman trying to make a difference in the world, and I do feel some sympathy for her situation."

I think the term that best describes her is ambitious, not passionate. Blindly Ambitious.

Forum List

Back