FOX News - not fair and balanced

Yum. I love scalding-hot coffee. It's the only way to drink it. :D

0060-0506-0614-2755.jpg

dmp said:
The lady deserved EVERYTHING she got from that Coffee - Honestly. I believe it.

BUT...it's really stupid for SMT to take a comment by a personality on a newshow, said off the cuff, and thereby conclude the ENTIRE organization is somehow biased.

You're a pretty sick person if you want to stick 70 year old ladies in hospitals for 8 days because they got a little clumsy.

SpidermanTuba said:
You're a pretty sick person if you want to stick 70 year old ladies in hospitals for 8 days because they got a little clumsy.

If a lady needs SKIN GRAFTS because the coffee was too hot, she can stay there as long as she needs.

(shrug).

dmp said:
If a lady needs SKIN GRAFTS because the coffee was too hot, she can stay there as long as she needs.

(shrug).

If she's got insurance. Which I assume she did, or else she would have asked for more than a 20k settlement. My brother's appendectomy was 25k, I'd bet an 8 day hospital stay with skin grants costs quite a pretty penny, even in the early 90's.

SpidermanTuba said:
Blah blah blah blah blah blah fart.

Look it's this simple: If you buy a cup of coffee, you know it's going to be hot. No, you don't expect t to be that hot, but that doesn't change the fact that everywhere you buy coffee, it is served hot.

So she has a cup of coffee, keeping in mind that we've already determined that coffee is served hot, and she wants to add cream and sugar. So she puts this hot cup of coffee between her knees and tries to open it. Let's say it again...She opens a hot cup of coffee, while sitting in cramped space, and opens it while the cup is held between her knees. Near her lap. In a place where she has little to no room to move. Did McDonalds come out and force her to do this? Or is she taking the responsibility of opening this hot cup of coffee in this position?

I don't see the sense in wasting my time going frame by frame here. Basically, you are taking the emotion of "But look at how badly she was burned" and turning it into reason to cast blame. As I said, it sucks that she got burned, but it's not McDonalds responsibility that she spilled the coffee on herself, I don't give a damn how hot the coffee was. If there were a neon sign flashing "THE COFFEE IS REALLY, REALLY HOT! IT WILL BURN YOU REALLY< REALLY BAD!", would it have changed anything? Would she have decided not to take that cup, which the average child knows contains hot liquid, and not hold it between her knees to open it?

By the way, seatbelts are suppose to work. Coffee is suppose to be hot. It's not a comparison. A better one would be if I turned the heater on in the middle of summer as I drove late at night, rolled the windows up, and had a wreck because I fell asleep. Would I have a case against the car company because a heater is suppose to warm you up but not make you fall asleep? No, because I should be smart enough to know that turning on the heater in the middle of summer isn't a good idea. It's as bad as opening a hot cup of coffee while it rests between you knees.

Can anyone here please tell me WTF this has to do w/ Fox News?

SMT - you've confirmed to us all, once again, that "Isn't it just sad when cousins marry"?

SpidermanTuba said:
Mostly, the people who served an item which was far more dangerous than a reasonable person would expect.

So if I buy a Extra-Large Extra-Round hotdog at the Super Bowl and take a bite bigger than I should and choke to death on it....who do I get to sue?

The hot dog vendor for selling it to me?
The hot dog manufacturer for making the hot dog?
The stadium for allowing the vendor to sell the hot dog?
The city the stadium is in?
The NFL because the chose that site for the SB?

GotZoom said:
So if I buy a Extra-Large Extra-Round hotdog at the Super Bowl and take a bite bigger than I should and choke to death on it....who do I get to sue?

The hot dog vendor for selling it to me?
The hot dog manufacturer for making the hot dog?
The stadium for allowing the vendor to sell the hot dog?
The city the stadium is in?
The NFL because the chose that site for the SB?

But say you bit into a hot dog and had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on your mouth and tongue....That's what the coffee lady did. McDonalds was CLEARLY liable in that case; I wish the lady would have gotten MORE money, actually.

dmp said:
But say you bit into a hot dog and had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on your mouth and tongue....That's what the coffee lady did. McDonalds was CLEARLY liable in that case; I wish the lady would have gotten MORE money, actually.

So you put no merit in the fact that she was holding the cup of coffee between her knees and spilled it in her own lap?

I don't care how hot the coffee was, it's her own damn fault she spilled it.

So, are there any other 14 year old stories we can talk about? How was the officiating during Superbowl 27? :D

Jimmyeatworld said:
So you put no merit in the fact that she was holding the cup of coffee between her knees and spilled it in her own lap?

I don't care how hot the coffee was, it's her own damn fault she spilled it.

Of course. The jury found that she was 20% at fault, which decreased the amount she received.

The point is, McDonald's knew , by their own admission, that their coffee was scaldingly hot (185 degrees) and would cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns. They knew this because it had happened at least 700 times in the past. Then, they knowingly continued to serve their coffee at this temperature. It's quite obvious that they were negligent. Coffee at normal temperatures (140-150 degrees) doesn't cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns. The coffee they were serving was not safe for consumption.

That same coffee, if swallowed, would have caused second and third degree burns to a person's lips, mouth, and esophagus. Think about that for a second. Is the following really your argument?

"I don't care how hot the coffee was, it's her own damn fault she drank it." :wtf:

BTW, do you know what debridement is? This woman had to undergo debridement treatments for her injuries. Debridement is a process they use for burn victims to remove dead skin layers. I won't post pictures because they are stomach turning. Search google images for debridement if you really want a treat.
1105411277_1719974621.gif

http://www.thirdage.com/healthgate/files/14803.html said:
Description of the Procedure

Surgical debridement - The skin surrounding the wound is cleaned and disinfected, and the wound is probed with a metal instrument to determine its depth and locate any foreign matter. The doctor cuts away dead tissue, then washes out any remaining, free tissue. The resulting edge is smooth and usually runs from one end of the wound to the other. In some cases, transplanted skin may be grafted into place. Sometimes, cutting away the entire contaminated wound may be the most effective treatment. The doctor may put drops of dye into the wound to help identify wound tissue. Tissue that turns color is removed, leaving a new clean, surgical wound.

Chemical debridement - The health-care provider applies debriding medication to the wound and covers with a dressing.

Mechanical debridement - A wet dressing is applied to the wound. As this dressing dries, it absorbs wound material. When the dressing is remoistened and removed, some of the tissue comes with it. This process is time-consuming, and may remove healthy or healing tissue along with dead cells. Patients often find this type of mechanical debridement painful. Whirlpool baths are also used for mechanical debridement.

Autolytic debridement - Dressings that retain wound fluids (hydrocolloid, hydrogel, and transparent film) can facilitate the body's natural abilities to clean the wound. This type of dressing is often used to treat pressure sores.

Now imagine having one or more of the previous procedures applied to your inner thighs, genitals, perineum, and anus over the course of a few weeks.

All over a company's stubborn refusal to lower the temperature of it's coffee to a reasonable level and subsequent stubborn refusal to take care of a person they had injured through their negligence.

misterblu said:
"I don't care how hot the coffee was, it's her own damn fault she drank it." :wtf:

Yes, blu, that one line from that one post is the only thing I've had to say on the matter. :rolleyes:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm back to the 21st Century.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Yes, blu, that one line from that one post is the only thing I've had to say on the matter. :rolleyes:

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm back to the 21st Century.

OK, if that's not your entire argument (people are responsible for their own actions regardless of the fact that the other party was negligent), then what is your point?

Your entire argument centers around personal responsibility. I'm all for personal responsibility. However, I contend that while she had some responsibility for what happened to her, McDonalds was negligent in the way they were preparing the coffee. A reasonable person wouldn't expect to get 3rd degree burns from spilt coffee.

That's why I think the settlement was just.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
misterblu said:
OK, if that's not your entire argument (people are responsible for their own actions regardless of the fact that the other party was negligent), then what is your point?

Your entire argument centers around personal responsibility. I'm all for personal responsibility. However, I contend that while she had some responsibility for what happened to her, McDonalds was negligent in the way they were preparing the coffee. A reasonable person wouldn't expect to get 3rd degree burns from spilt coffee.

That's why I think the settlement was just.

As I said before, I don't think it was worth $3 million. If she had sued for and received enough to pay her medical, and maybe plus a little more, perhaps I could see it easier.

Everyone else seems to be basing a lot of their argument on what could have happened or what might have happened. If a case is decided on what could have happened or what might have happened, I think that sets a pretty dangerous precedent. Finding someone only 20% responsible for spilling hot coffee in their own lap because they were trying to open it in that way is bullshit in my opinion.

Note: I said hot coffee. Yes, I know she wouldn't expect it to be that hot, but that doesn't change the fact that everone knows coffee is going to be hot and it wouldn't be a good idea to open it while bracing it between your knees.

Now, say what ever you want, I'm done with this. Four days on a decade and a half old subject is more than enough.

Jimmyeatworld said:
So she has a cup of coffee, keeping in mind that we've already determined that coffee is served hot, and she wants to add cream and sugar. So she puts this hot cup of coffee between her knees and tries to open it. Let's say it again...She opens a hot cup of coffee, while sitting in cramped space, and opens it while the cup is held between her knees. Near her lap. In a place where she has little to no room to move. Did McDonalds come out and force her to do this? Or is she taking the responsibility of opening this hot cup of coffee in this position?

I've already fully conceded she would be responsible for whatever harm might be done by spilling a cup of coffee at a reasonable temperature on herself. So you have no point.

I don't see the sense in wasting my time going frame by frame here. Basically, you are taking the emotion of "But look at how badly she was burned" and turning it into reason to cast blame.

Actually the reason to cast blame is that a) McDonalds was serving the coffee at 180 degrees F b) they already had 700 complaints filed against them for coffee burns and did nothing to reduce its temperature and c) their own research indicated that they knew that most people consumed the coffee in the car and yet they did nothing to make the coffee safe for consumption in a car.

If there were a neon sign flashing "THE COFFEE IS REALLY, REALLY HOT! IT WILL BURN YOU REALLY< REALLY BAD!", would it have changed anything?

If there was a neon sign reading "our coffee is served at 180 degrees F. At this temperature, contact with the skin for as little as 2 seconds is enough to cause 3rd degree burns, which may result in an overnight hospital stay and extensive epidermal reconstruction", which of course, was the truth, I doubt they would have sold a single cup. Even the cast of "Jackass" would probably be turned off by those risks.

By the way, seatbelts are suppose to work. Coffee is suppose to be hot. It's not a comparison.

I like how you use the word "hot" as if something is either "hot" or "cold" and there aren't varying degrees of hotness and coldness.

Lets get a little deeper than the word "hot" and use something scientists call a "tempeature" scale. By using this, we assign degrees of hotness or coldness far more detailed than the simple 2 degree "hot" "cold" scale primitive peoples use.

Using this temperature scale, we can determine the difference between "hot" liquids which will only cause minor burning and irritatation and "hot" liquids which will result in week long hospital stays and debridement. Isn't that a wondeful thing? Instead of being stuck with the general term "hot" which could describe anything from regular coffee to the insides of the Sun, we can use a scale of "numbers" to more specifically specify degrees of hotness, providing us with much more usable information than the 2 degree scale of "hot" and "cold"

So now let's try your statement again, inserting the more specific "temperature" scale.

"By the way, seatbelts are suppose to work. Coffee is suppose to be at 180 degrees F. It's not a comparison. "

You're wrong.

"By the way, seatbelts are suppose to work. Coffee is suppose to be at 140-50 F. It's not a comparison. "

You're right on the temperature, but wrong because the coffee was hotter than that.

Wrong either way. Thank you, try again.

Incidenty, by your logic, if a patient at a nursing home requests "hot" water in their bath and the employee at the home fills the tub to 211 degrees F, 1 degree below boiling, and the patient gets in and has most of her body burned - its not the home's fault Bitch should have expected to be getting into hot water.

dmp said:

It was enough for them to serve their coffee at a reasonable temperature, at least.

Hey guys, I bought some McDonald's coffee today. I spilt a little bit of it on my hand. I know I deserved to have 3rd degree burns on my hand and have to go to the emergency room for the sin of spilling coffee, but thanks to the gracious McDonald's, they served the coffee at a temperture which was hot enough for it to taste good but not hot enough for it to burn my hand off!

Forum List

Back