Fox News...MSM?

JamesInFlorida

Dec 18, 2010
I've been seeing a lot of people bashing the "mainstream media", and a lot of those same people watch, quote, and watch Fox News-and also point out their high ratings.

So my question is simple: if Fox News is the largest watched national news station (which it is)-how is it not apart of the mainstream media? Go.

It's the same, they all push the idea that reps and dems are complete opposites and that you have to be one or the other.

They for the most part portray the images of the parties the same too, fox just promotes the republican party.

So is it MSM? No doubt about it.

No, Fox isn't MSM because it is a cable network. You're welcome.

That's fine, but by this logic MSNBC and CNN aren't mainstream media either. But many people (not saying you), label them as part of the mainstream media.

Also on another note-we don't live in the same time as when not everyone had cable. Fox News is in 102 households in America (households-not people). That's not including the internet.

edit: I wouldn't call something this available to the general public (and accepted) to be outside of the mainstream.

Last edited:

That's fine, but by this logic MSNBC and CNN aren't mainstream media either. But many people (not saying you), label them as part of the mainstream media.

Also on another note-we don't live in the same time as when not everyone had cable. Fox News is in 102 households in America (households-not people). That's not including the internet.

edit: I wouldn't call something this available to the general public (and accepted) to be outside of the mainstream.

Well said, if Fox News isn't a mainstream news source than ESPN isn't a mainstream sports source.

B/C MSNBC and CNN are viewed as extensions of the mainstream media. They have the same practices and attitudes.

I've been seeing a lot of people bashing the "mainstream media", and a lot of those same people watch, quote, and watch Fox News-and also point out their high ratings.

So my question is simple: if Fox News is the largest watched national news station (which it is)-how is it not apart of the mainstream media? Go.

100% inaccurate.

Now do some homework and see if you can come up with a premise and question that makes sense. Go!

100% inaccurate.

Now do some homework and see if you can come up with a premise and question that makes sense. Go!

Read the numbers
Fox is the largest watched cable news.
Cable News Ratings for Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers

100% inaccurate.

Read the numbers

You are 100% correct regarding cable news.

But that's not what JIF wrote...if Fox News is the largest watched national news station (which it is). National news stations, as he put it, includes the big 3 broadcast networks ABC, CBS, and NBC, all of whom have larger news audiences than Fox.

Read the OP next time.

100% inaccurate.

Read the numbers

But that's not what JIF wrote...if Fox News is the largest watched national news station (which it is). National news stations, as he put it, includes the big 3 broadcast networks ABC, CBS, and NBC, all of whom have larger news audiences than Fox.

Read the OP next time.

Fox news also has local channel news and is lumped into the cable channel news when they do their ratings.
You won't find any individual ratings for their local channel news.

Any station that tells you all other stations are lying to you is lying to you.

Read the OP next time.

Fox news also has local channel news and is lumped into the cable channel news when they do their ratings.
You won't find any individual ratings for their local channel news.

I don't know where you get your information but it's not true, at least in this market which is Grand Rapids, MI., and doubt it's true anywhere in the country.

Here Channel 17 WXMI is the Fox broadcast network affiliate. They air all the normal programs of that network, American Idol, NFL National Conference games, etc., etc. Their morning, evening, and late night news programs are locally produced and cover primarily local stories, but any big national or international story will get a mention too. But their ratings for their news broadcasts have nothing to do with Fox News Channel (Fox cable); there's no lumping of two different audiences watching two different channels and programs at the same time.

WXMI's news programs are in a constant ratings battles with the local ABC, NBC, and CBS affiliates for local advertising dollars.

NBC,CBS and ABC as well as Fox are all affiliates, yet Fox affiliates are not rated when they rate the other 3 affiliate news ratings.They do not include the affiliate fox news stations, as part of the broadcast news ratings.
They only rate ABC,CBS and NBC.

NBC,CBS and ABC as well as Fox are all affiliates, yet Fox affiliates are not rated when they rate the other 3 affiliate news ratings.They do not include the affiliate fox news stations, as part of the broadcast news ratings.
They only rate ABC,CBS and NBC.

I give up. You don't know what you're talking about.

Forum List

Back