FOX News, "Fair and Balanced"? Not according to the people that work there.

Bill-OReilly-Lies-to-Bill-Maher-on-Fox-News-Misreporting-Cost-of-Obama-Trip-to-India.jpg

Looks like someone forgot about Dan Rathers lies.
CBS Names Memo Probe Panel - CBS News

And which network does Rather work for now?

Article from 2004?

Do not act as if the news media doesn't lie. They all do even Fox, but fox is the most open compared to the rest.

Rather lied and the left remained silent. that is all you are dismissed.

I agree, Fox is the most open with their lies.
Apparently because lies is what their fans like.

Why are you obsessed with Fox? You act like they are the only ones who do this.

Only 6% of scientists are Republican.

Republicans are 90% white and vote in lockstep.

I am rdean and I live in an alternate universe.

Just once you should try posting about something that has nothing to do with any of your usual tripe. Call it a Christmas present to USMB. If you don't do Christmas because it is a right-wing-nut racist holiday call it a New Years present/resolution.

Just once.

They are the only ones who do that.

Bullshit.

Fox has proven their bias over and over again.

They fired reporters for refusing to report lies and then won a court case against these reporters by proving they are allowed to lie to their viewers.

This is yet ONE MORE brick in the wal againt Fox.

NO REAL AMERICAN embraces lies.

WOW.

Spoken like a true devotee of MSNBC.

Talk about bias. Just WOW.

Fox has an opinion side. They all do.

If you don't like their opinon.

Change the damned channel.

You can always go to the MSNBC. I'm sure their left wing bias will fit right in with what you want to hear.

Happy Trails.

I would hope ANY American would care enough about the truth and the importance of truth in our decision making process in this country to spoew hate on the lies instead of the person who informed them of the lies.

Some think this is just a cute game, its the ability of our coutnry to move in the right direction.

When you allow lies and propaganda to build you position on the issues you allow America to be stolen from us.

When when when will the right care as much about this country as they do about Fox news?

If the OP is accurate then it is basically indefensible. Some people can't bring themselves to admit it but they feel they have to say something so you wind up with a bunch of attacks directed at the messenger.

Is it also indefensible when NBC does a report about exploding gas tanks and has to explode the tank manually to prove that it happens, or is it only indefensible when fox does it?

It's indefensible when any media outlet blatantly lies ... or calls themselves fair and balanced yet internal emails prove them to be nothing of the sort. Of course this thread isn't about NBC and anything they did, it's about FOX and something specific they did. Stay on topic.

Last edited:
If the OP is accurate then it is basically indefensible. Some people can't bring themselves to admit it but they feel they have to say something so you wind up with a bunch of attacks directed at the messenger.

Is it also indefensible when NBC does a report about exploding gas tanks and has to explode the tank manually to prove that it happens, or is it only indefensible when fox does it?

It's indefensible when any media outlet blatantly lies ... or calls themselves fair and balanced yet internal emails prove them to be nothing of the sort. Of course this thread isn't about NBC and anything they did, it's about FOX and something specific they did. Stay on topic.

While I agree that it is wrong to lie, those are only alleged to be Fox's emails. Let me ask you something though, how is referring to the public option as a government run plan in any way deceptive? Isn't that exactly what public option means? Or did I miss a memo again? If so, no big deal, I am used to it, and don't really care one way or another.

What is the difference between Fox calling the public option a government run plan and MSNBC calling the government run plan a public option? To me it simply looks like you agree with one side, and oppose the other. Getting your dander up about one, but not the other, is nothing more than partisanship.

While I agree that it is wrong to lie, those are only alleged to be Fox's emails. Let me ask you something though, how is referring to the public option as a government run plan in any way deceptive? Isn't that exactly what public option means? Or did I miss a memo again? If so, no big deal, I am used to it, and don't really care one way or another.

What is the difference between Fox calling the public option a government run plan and MSNBC calling the government run plan a public option? To me it simply looks like you agree with one side, and oppose the other. Getting your dander up about one, but not the other, is nothing more than partisanship.

According to the OP two months prior pollsters (on FOXNews, no less) cited a significant difference in public reaction to the two terms ... so yeah, there is a difference and it's that people were "overwhelmingly against it" when referred to as the government plan... and if these emails are genuine they shine some light on how they work their propaganda and make sure everyone stays on message. Gotta keep the narrative up!

I really don't care what it looks like to you. I don't run around this board defending liberal media outlets and I generally attack "the media" or "cable news" as a whole. You getting your own dander about someone criticizing Fox News is your own partisanship gettin' to you, not mine.

Fox gave up being a legitimate news network a decade ago. As the propaganda arm of the Republican Party, they are free to expound any position they want.

It is up to the viewer to be able to tell that this is a bunch of Bull Shit

If they can't, they deserve what they get

According to the OP two months prior pollsters (on FOXNews, no less) cited a significant difference in public reaction to the two terms ... so yeah, there is a difference and it's that people were "overwhelmingly against it" when referred to as the government plan... and if these emails are genuine they shine some light on how they work their propaganda and make sure everyone stays on message. Gotta keep the narrative up!

I really don't care what it looks like to you. I don't run around this board defending liberal media outlets and I generally attack "the media" or "cable news" as a whole. You getting your own dander about someone criticizing Fox News is your own partisanship gettin' to you, not mine.

I see, you only get your panties twisted if someone uses poll results to negatively reflect on something you agree with, but have no problem with other people using the same poll results to reflect positively on what you agree with. If we turned that around and had Fox using polling data that reflected positively on something you disagree with, and MSNBC using the same data to promote a negative opinion, would that still be bad of Fox?

It always amazes me that when people get caught in hypocrisy they end up accusing somebody else of doing the same thing they have just been caught doing. Since I pointed out that everyone lies right here in this thread you are going to have a hard time sustaining any claim that I am being partisan, or even defending anyone.

Resentment News (and More Blondes Per Square Foot): Explaining What Fox News Channel Is

November 22nd, 2010 by Jay Rosen

Resentment #
On Fox, the news exists in order to generate controversy. And controversy exists in order to generate resentment. And the resentment is what generates ratings. So this is my most concise idea about Fox: we should consider it “resentment news.” I think that’s the genre in which it trades… Resentment of whom? Well, a cultural elite that is corrupt and maneuvering behind the scenes to exercise power.
Myth #
Resentment of the cultural elite as a recurring theme in news puts me in mind of something that the critic Roland Barthes—a Frenchman—said about myth. Myth in the sense of a kind of ideological narrative that motivates people to particpate in politics and engages their emotions. And what Barthes said is: “many signifiers, one signified…” Or to put it another way: many stories—every night there’s new stories on Fox—one narrative that endures. Many provocations, one lesson. The liberals, the cultural elite, are at it again. And this is the essence of myth: that no matter what happens, the story remains the same, [which] is one reason the whole notion of Fox as a news channel is a little dubious: because nothing ever changes in Foxland.
The Paranoid Style #
As I say in the clip, one of the best texts for understanding Fox is the famous essay by historian Richard Hofstadter: The Paranoid Style in American Politics. It shows that this way of generating resentment has deep roots in our political culture, a theme I explored in my 2003 post: Bill O’Reilly and the Paranoid Style in News. (“The Fox News host is a new type in the press, but an old type in politics. And O’Reilly’s style—resentment news—is gaining.”) #
Blondes #
A whole other way of understanding Fox begins with the logo…

The logo of course goes back to 20th Century Fox, the movie studio, and reminds us that the roots of Fox are not in the Murdoch empire at all, or in news, but in entertainment. And the logo, which is searchlights angling in different directions, speaks of movie premiers, and the entertainment world and the glamour associated with it. And this is why—these roots in the DNA of entertainment–Fox is distinguished by its blondes. Blondes are really important for understanding the formula of Fox: more blondes per square foot than any other news network.

Lack of confidence #
What we have to understand about Fox as a political organization is that it really lacks confidence, it lacks the courage of its convictions…. That’s why its slogan isn’t “news from the right,” or “a conservative take on the world,” or “it’s time to put the liberals in their place,” but Fair and Balanced… This is responsible for a lot of the strange behavior that you see from people in Fox, most recently from Roger Ailes, who is the head of Fox News network, calling NPR a bunch of Nazis… What these outbursts and these irrational explosions tell us is how little confidence the people of Fox have in their identity as a political organization, even though they don’t make any secret of it, I mean with all the presidential contenders for the Republican nomination on their payroll, and the organizing of rallies, and raising money and so forth. But because they lack confidence, when other people talk about that political identity they get mad.

Last edited:
Fox is distinguished by its blondes. Blondes are really important for understanding the formula of Fox: more blondes per square foot than any other news network.

Its not news if you don't have the eye candy to go with it

Forum List

Back