Fox News Fabricates An Obama Quote

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Fox News Fabricates Obama Quote In ‘Silver Spoon’ Speech | TPMDC :badgrin:

In a recent campaign-trail speech, President Obama delivered a line that was widely construed as a jab at Mitt Romney. But whether it was a direct jab at Romney was at least arguable until a Fox News host pumped it up with three additional words that Obama never said.

“Somebody gave me an education,” the President said last Wednesday in a Elyria, Ohio speech, discussing equality of opportunity. “I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Michelle wasn’t. But somebody gave us a chance — just like these folks up here are looking for a chance.”

The “silver spoon” comment in the context of the speech seemed to be a swipe against Romney, whose father George Romney was the top executive of a major car company and a former governor of Michigan. But the President was able to maintain plausible deniability until Steve Doocy of Fox News came along. While interviewing Romney on live TV Thursday, Doocy quoted Obama as saying, “Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth.”

But Obama never prefaced his statement with the words “unlike some people,” as evident in the video of the speech (9:22 minute mark). The words do not appear in the official transcript either.

Regardless, the unspoken words were imputed to Obama in a Washington Post article, a New York Post editorial and conservative blogs after Doocy’s segment.
<more>

This is wrong, Now did you get your panties in a bunch when NBC edited the TVM 9/11 tape and specifically took out the 9/11 Operator asking if the TVM was white black or Hispanic, But left in the part where he answers "he looks Black"

Something tells me you didn't have a problem with that at all.

fox news takes the President out of Context and your up in Arms, NBC maliciously Edits a 9/11 Tape for the Express Purpose of Making the Suspect seem motivated by Race and you are Silent.

Typical Liberal

Fox is a corrupt organization. If you think this is bad, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

They're still better than CNN and MSNBC, though. So there's that, I guess.

This is so stop the presses worthy, we just had another thread started on it a few minuets ago.

Fox News Fabricates Obama Quote In &#8216;Silver Spoon&#8217; Speech | TPMDC

I think I'll faint over it..

Last edited:
The left and the right pump quotes, take words out of context and exagerate positions all the time. Get over it.

And you think that's okay?

Bullshit!

I won't get over supposedly reputable news sources exaggerating a quote to fit their political agenda.

Save that crap for blogs and opinion pieces.

Of course, it's hard to consider Fox News to be reputable when they are proud of their lying ways.

In a recent campaign-trail speech, President Obama delivered a line that was widely construed as a jab at Mitt Romney. But whether it was a direct jab at Romney was at least arguable until a Fox News host pumped it up with three additional words that Obama never said.

“Somebody gave me an education,” the President said last Wednesday in a Elyria, Ohio speech, discussing equality of opportunity. “I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth. Michelle wasn’t. But somebody gave us a chance — just like these folks up here are looking for a chance.”

The “silver spoon” comment in the context of the speech seemed to be a swipe against Romney, whose father George Romney was the top executive of a major car company and a former governor of Michigan. But the President was able to maintain plausible deniability until Steve Doocy of Fox News came along. While interviewing Romney on live TV Thursday, Doocy quoted Obama as saying, “Unlike some people, I wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth.”

But Obama never prefaced his statement with the words “unlike some people,” as evident in the video of the speech (9:22 minute mark). The words do not appear in the official transcript either.

Regardless, the unspoken words were imputed to Obama in a Washington Post article, a New York Post editorial and conservative blogs after Doocy’s segment.
<more>

How is this on par with the Dan Rather-fabricacted documents (CBS) or the middle of the 911 Zimmerman call ??

<more>

How is this on par with the Dan Rather-fabricacted documents (CBS) or the middle of the 911 Zimmerman call ??

ah yes, Dan Rather...I bet they would like to FORGET that one..then they couldn't whine about a mistake done by Fox News

Is it an exaggeration or is it simply clarifying what Obama actually meant?

Can any deny that he was making a comparison? More than likely to Romney?

As stated both sides will do it and all news sources depending upon what they want you to hear.....

Is it an exaggeration or is it simply clarifying what Obama actually meant?

Can any deny that he was making a comparison? More than likely to Romney?

As stated both sides will do it and all news sources depending upon what they want you to hear.....

Regardless, when reporting, it's best to quote someone verbatim. If he wanted to make a comparison or clarify what Obama actually meant, then it becomes opinion.

OMG, the thing they are wailing over is, "Unlike some people" I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth..

Can anyone think of a reason a President would even have to stoop so low in saying a comment about a silver spoon to BEGIN WITH?

the man has not one shred of class

Forum List

Back