Fox News Allows Liberals To Speak

Can either side of this debate link to an article that demonstrates bias in either channels content? Not one of these articles about an article pieces of junk either, I want an actual article. You can point out the bias in your own post. It's not much, but I'll rep anyone who presents an article with a definitive liberal or conservative bias.

Mr.Conley said:
Can either side of this debate link to an article that demonstrates bias in either channels content? Not one of these articles about an article pieces of junk either, I want an actual article. You can point out the bias in your own post. It's not much, but I'll rep anyone who presents an article with a definitive liberal or conservative bias.
Best I've found, the methodology may need some tweaking, but pretty good.

http://home.uchicago.edu/~jmshapir/bias091305.pdf

I think Chicago is an ivy in all but name. I toured it in junior year. Great teachers, awesome students, nice facilities. A lot the best and brightest come out of Chicago. I think that in many ways UC is better than several ivies. The ivies put too much into sports, if you can throw a ball and have a B average then they're begging for you to come to the school. UC seemed to be based more on academic merit, which I think is more honest and fair.

Mr.Conley said:

http://newsbusters.org/node?from=120
Here are several examples:

CNN's Cafferty: 'The Dumb Ones Watch Fox'
Posted by Megan McCormack on June 22, 2006 - 17:45.
What do you do when you’re a cable news network struggling to keep up in the ratings? Do you lure viewers away from your competitor with programming that they would want to watch, or alienate those same viewers by insulting their intelligence?

The latter seems to be the strategy for CNN’s Jack Cafferty. Shortly before 5pm EDT on the June 22 The Situation Room, Cafferty made this remark to substitute host John King after reading viewer responses to his question of the hour:

John King, substitute host: "Jack, I’m glad they always tell you exactly what they’re thinking."

Cafferty: "And, and they’re pretty smart, too."

King: "Yes they are, yes they are. Thank you very much–"

Cafferty: "The dumb ones watch Fox."

King [laughing]: "Ouch! Ouch, ouch, that’s going to bring some more e-mail."

Poynter Lesson for Journalists: Avoid the Word 'Illegal' for Immigration Stories
Posted by Greg Sheffield on June 22, 2006 - 13:30.
O. Ricardo Pimentel, Editorial Page Editor for the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, writes at Poynter Online, the top site for journalists to debate their trade's issues, that reporters should refrain from using the word "illegal" to describe.... those who are here illegally.

Did you know that it's not criminal to be an undocumented immigrant? In fact, one of the burning issues in the recent and ongoing debate on immigration reform is whether to make such mere presence a felony.

If you didn't know this, you probably didn't read past that headline. You know, the one with the word Illegals emblazoned in large type. Maybe even in your own newspaper.

"There he goes again," some of you are probably thinking. "Politically correct Ricardo." That's one take, I guess. Another might be, "trying-to-be-accurate Ricardo." It's a matter of both grammar and law. Illegal as a noun offends both -- not to mention the offense given by stigmatizing an entire group of people

Back from a break for heart surgery, PBS talk-show host Charlie Rose devoted his entire hour-long show Monday night to Al Gore, promoting his doom-documentary "An Inconvenient Truth." Rose pressed Gore comfortably from the left: if the president has an "intellectually dishonest" position ignoring the facts, and why no one is having an "enlightened conversation" with President Bush on global warming. Once Rose shifted to Iraq, he laughed at Gore when they discussed whether Bush knew he would invade Iraq as he campaigned in 2000: "I don’t think Dick Cheney had told him yet that he was going to invade Iraq.” This, after Gore said he was trying to convey a "textured and subtle" foreign policy mindset

A new documentary about Vice President Dick Cheney is set to air this evening on PBS. It’s called “The Dark Side,” and based upon a review published in today’s New York Daily News, it doesn’t appear to be very flattering.

First, the title comes “from a quote by Vice President Cheney in the wake of 9/11. Cheney said that the CIA, the Pentagon and other intelligence-gathering U.S. forces would have to ‘work from the dark side’ to glean information and combat and defeat terrorism.”

However, let’s be serious: what viewer isn’t going to assume that the title is a more direct reference to the movie “Star Wars,” and that Cheney is being depicted as Darth Vader? Forgive me, but as George Carlin said many years ago, you don’t have to be Fellini to figure that out.

The documentary then picks up some rather familiar liberal themes that we’ve all been hearing ad nauseum for years:

NBC's Campbell Brown couldn't contain her laughter this morning as The Nation’s liberal columnist Calvin Trillin poked fun at George W. Bush. Promoting his new collection of poems A Heckuva Job: More of the Bush Administration In Rhyme, Trillin cracked up Today show co-host Brown with such old poetic knee-slappers as: "Obliviously on he sails with marks not quite as good as Quayle's." Brown went on to praise Trillin's latest work as "great stuff" and predicted, "It's going to be a hilarious book." Brown even urged Trillin to recite verses from A Heckuva Job:

Brown: "But the new, the title of your book came from what you, perhaps feel, is the President's most memorable line thus far?"

Karl Rove's accusation that Democrats, particularly Senator John Kerry and Congressman John Murtha, want to "cut and run" from Iraq enraged and baffled CBS's Bob Schieffer, as evidenced by how he repeatedly raised the quote on Sunday's Face the Nation. With his first guest, White House Press Secretary Tony Snow, Schieffer read to him how Rove charged that "Democrats 'are ready to give the green light to go to war, but when it gets tough, when it gets difficult, they fall back on that party's old pattern of cutting and running. They may be with you at the first shots, but they are not going to be with you for the last, tough battle.'" Schieffer demanded: "What pattern is he talking about? When have Democrats been cutting and running?" Schieffer followed up: "But are you comfortable with characterizing the Democrats as people who want to cut and run?" Later, with Republican Senator Lindsey Graham, who appeared with Democrat Joe Biden, Schieffer again cited the quote and then expressed his displeasure: "He's talking about two men who were wounded in combat when he says that. Is that really, is that really fair?"

Neal Gabler might have hit a new low when it comes to the coarseness of his criticism. On this evening's Fox News Watch, he branded as 'sub-moronic' a statement President Bush made during his recent Iraq trip. And, furious that the media has been insufficiently critical in its coverage of Iraq for his taste, Gabler repeatedly labelled the MSM 'brain dead.'

Gabler began his assault by pouring cold water on the president's recent uptick in the polls: "the boost is very small. . . If you want to look at his numbers, his numbers are very, very low."

Even so, Gabler was galled that the press hasn't given sufficient attention to the bad news from Iraq. "The most positive media development for the president has been the fact that on the very day that he visited Baghdad, 24 Iraqis were killed in Kirkuk of all places and 50 were killed around Iraq, but it got no coverage. It was page 15 of the New York Times."

In the past week, President Bush has visited Iraq, had his top political operative cleared of wrongdoing, and presided over the elimination of the terrorist mastermind Abu Musab Al Zarqawi. NBC’s Today show took note of this fact and the June 16 edition featured a segment on Bush’s upturn in fortunes. But if conservatives expected the media to be happy about Bush’s "good week," they were sadly mistaken. Today reporter Norah O’Donnell began her piece, which aired at 7:13AM EDT, by stating that the Bush administration hoped the current string of positive events would become more then "just a fleeting bit of good news." She also implied that the President’s trip was a political stunt:

"And the President may get the most mileage...literally and figuratively, out of his drop-in to Baghdad...with secrecy both necessary and adding dramatic effect."

CNN Arab Affairs Editor: Terrorism a 'Subjective' Term
Posted by Greg Sheffield on June 16, 2006 - 12:40.
On CNN Student News, Octavia Nasr, Senior Editor for Arab Affairs, told youngsters that "'terrorism' is a subjective term depending on which side you are on."

Hat tip Say Anything Blog.

CARL AZUZ, CNN STUDENT NEWS REPORTER: WordCentral.com defines terrorism as the use of a violent or destructive act to achieve a goal. Why is it so difficult for the international community to agree on a definition for terrorism?
OCTAVIA NASR, CNN SENIOR EDITOR FOR ARAB AFFAIRS: Well, I think for one, terrorism for one person is a freedom fight for another. And you know, the Arab world always talks about this, as they say the so-called terrorism, because they believe that - in Iraq, for example, many people are struggling against occupation, so in many ways they support that struggle against occupation but then they draw a line between those who are struggling. They want a free Iraq, they want the occupiers out and those who are pushing the envelope and crossing the line by terrorizing people. And when we say terrorizing people, in a sense, it's going after the innocent civilians, the unsuspecting civilians, taking hostages, beheading them. Committing acts that are totally unacceptable, even by the standards of a freedom fight. So, you know, if you think about it, "terrorism" is a subjective term depending on which side you are on.

Mr.Conley said:
I think Chicago is an ivy in all but name. I toured it in junior year. Great teachers, awesome students, nice facilities. A lot the best and brightest come out of Chicago. I think that in many ways UC is better than several ivies. The ivies put too much into sports, if you can throw a ball and have a B average then they're begging for you to come to the school. UC seemed to be based more on academic merit, which I think is more honest and fair.

Thanks! I finished up my sociology degree there years ago, (it's second to none in soc. Ahem, Parks and Burgess, Concentric Zone theory!) ;)

Kathianne said:
Thanks! I finished up my sociology degree there years ago, (it's second to none in soc. Ahem, Parks and Burgess, Concentric Zone theory!)
Really! That's very, very, very impressive. Anyone who gets through Chicago deserves a lot of respect. I"ve got three friends there who are math majors I believe, and by all accounts the workload is staggering. :bow3:

Were you a graduate or undergraduate?

Mr.Conley said:
Really! That's very, very, very impressive. Anyone who gets through Chicago deserves a lot of respect. I"ve got three friends there who are math majors I believe, and by all accounts the workload is staggering. :bow3:

Were you a graduate or undergraduate?

I thought you meant the study!
Undergrad. As you said, one does what one does. I remember some great Dungeons and Dragons games. :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Murder mystery parties were also grand.

Kathianne said:
I thought you meant the study!
Undergrad. As you said, one does what one does. I remember some great Dungeons and Dragons games.

Murder mystery parties were also grand.
Now it's Civ 4 madness all night long.

Also the occasional round of Halo, but sometimes you just have to go to those darn classes.

Mr.Conley said:
Now it's Civ 4 madness all night long.

Also the occasional round of Halo, but sometimes you just have to go to those darn classes.

Getting up has never been a problem. I was kinda sad that none of my kids had the type of personality for Chicago, but they all enjoy where they are.

This is making me want to get down to their bookstore! :laugh:

Here is another example of the liberal bias in the media........
http://newsbusters.org/node/5742

CBS Touts Possible Democratic Takeover of House Seat, But Goes Silent After GOP Win
Posted by Brent Baker on June 8, 2006 - 03:23.

On Tuesday, the day of the election in California's 50th Congressional District to replace imprisoned Republican Randy “Duke” Cunningham, the CBS Evening News ran a story touting a potential Democratic takeover of the seat as reporter Jerry Bowen described the race “as a referendum on both the Republican Congress and the Republican President, whose popularity is sinking.” But after the Republican won, the newscast was silent about it Wednesday night. In fact, the morning after the vote, CBS Evening News anchor Bob Schieffer declared on The Early Show that despite the win by Republican Brian Bilbray over Democrat Francine Busby, the 49 to 45 percent victory is “a warning shot for Republicans.” Busby, however, got just one point more of the district's vote than did John Kerry in 2004.

Schieffer had set up CBS's Tuesday night story about the San Diego County race: "Democrats believe they have a chance to take back control of Congress from the Republicans this year, and they're looking to a special election tonight for a sign that they may be right.” Jerry Bowen trumpeted how “when disgraced Republican Congressman Duke Cunningham went off to prison for taking millions of dollars in bribes, no one predicted what just may happen today as voters in this 25-year-long Republican stronghold pick his replacement: That a Democrat, local school board member Francine Busby, could emerge the winner."

Instead finding some time on Wednesday to inform viewers of the results of what Bowen had framed as a “referendum” on an unpopular President, the June 7 CBS Evening News led with the Marine Commandant's comments on Haditha and Schieffer managed to squeeze in short items on the same-sex marriage vote in the Senate and how the population of New Orleans has shifted to fewer blacks and more whites since Katrina, before a profile of Dallas Mavericks basketball team owner Mark Cuban.

The NBC Nightly News didn't mention the California race on Tuesday or Wednesday and ABC's World News Tonight provided a brief item Wednesday night, though the newscast did not match CBS with a Tuesday preview story. On the June 7 World News Tonight, anchor Charles Gibson read this short item:

"There was a significant congressional election yesterday in San Diego. A Republican won a congressional race with national implications. Democrats said Brian Bilbray's narrow victory in a solidly Republican district shows the GOP faces trouble this fall, but Republicans said all that counts is that they won."

My brother has both his bachelor's and MBA from University of Chicago and is now a relatively high-ranking executive there, but I won't say what title to protect the innocent...anyhoo, the U of C is a great school, but hardly what you call a "liberal" academic environment, if it was, it didn't rub off on my brother, he's still a Republican (albeit a libertarian-type).

The liberal-media bias is a myth that has been repeatedly debunked. The people who control the news media in this country, especially the broadcast media, are conservative. Most editors and publishers of newspapers are conservative. The liberal media myth is a political lie used by Republicans who want to be sure their base doesn't actually start trying to learn the truth about what's going on this country. They want to maintain their complete control over the hearts and minds of their faithful by ensuring a general distrust of the media, getting the faithful to get their "news" from talk radio. All the while their corporate friends are slowly but surely taking over the media to give the right control of it.

It's scary. But that's the truth.

acludem

acludem

acludem said:
My brother has both his bachelor's and MBA from University of Chicago and is now a relatively high-ranking executive there, but I won't say what title to protect the innocent...anyhoo, the U of C is a great school, but hardly what you call a "liberal" academic environment, if it was, it didn't rub off on my brother, he's still a Republican (albeit a libertarian-type).

The liberal-media bias is a myth that has been repeatedly debunked. The people who control the news media in this country, especially the broadcast media, are conservative. Most editors and publishers of newspapers are conservative. The liberal media myth is a political lie used by Republicans who want to be sure their base doesn't actually start trying to learn the truth about what's going on this country. They want to maintain their complete control over the hearts and minds of their faithful by ensuring a general distrust of the media, getting the faithful to get their "news" from talk radio. All the while their corporate friends are slowly but surely taking over the media to give the right control of it.

acludem

acludem

Ummm, me too, I'm a Republican. Could it possibly be an Ivy like school in the Midwest, turns out grads that are not be sheep? Perhaps we think a bit, and the profs were not so much into indoctrination as evaluation? Bully might differ, but I'll bet your brother has my kind of problems with the admin. and politics, yet can't cross to the other side? Can find no acceptable alternatives, so stays with the GOP?

He's actually not what you'd call a straight-ticket GOPer. He occassionally votes for Democrats (like Gov. Blagojevich and Sen. Barack Obama) and has serious issues with the theocratic bent of the GOP.

acludem

acludem said:
He's actually not what you'd call a straight-ticket GOPer. He occassionally votes for Democrats (like Gov. Blagojevich and Sen. Barack Obama) and has serious issues with the theocratic bent of the GOP.

acludem
Well there is no way I could vote for Blago, but I did Obama. Wouldn't again, if there was a real alternative. But yeah, that is what I meant. :teeth:

Mr.Conley said:
Is there something you are trying to say about a certain group of schools in the Northeast?

I wouldn't say that! :laugh:

Hey, did you ever read that study?

acludem said:

acludem

acludem

Most of the MSM reporters admit they are Dems (or as they prefer to be called "progressives")

The MSM today reports what they WANT to happen not want actually happened

New Topics

Forum List

Back