Fourth of July: What does it mean to an American Muslim

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
By Imam Johari Abdul-Malik

The Fourth of July has many meanings to this American Muslim. It is both a source of pride, disappointment of a dream deferred and the hope of fulfillment of a universal promise of freedom - Independence - and equality for all. History reminds us that on July 4th 1187 Sulahudeen Ayoubi liberated Jerusalem from the Crusaders and invited the expelled Jewish families to return to their homes in the Holy Land.

The Fourth of July brings to mind the Muslims who fought in the revolutionary war, such as Yusuf Ben Ali, also known as Joseph (Benenhali) Benhaley. His name appeared in the 1790 census of Sumter County, SC or Bampett Muhamed who was a Corporal in the Revolutionary Army or Sergeant Francis Saba, sergeant and Fifer Joseph Saba who served with the Continental Troops.

Let us not forget that in 1777 Morocco, A Muslim country, was the first to recognize the United States as an independent nation. Independence Day reminds me that I am freer to practice Islam in America than in most so-called Muslim countries. America continues to be a beacon of freedom for the people of Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Ivory Coast, Yemen and Syria.

As an American Muslim I can’t help but wonder if perhaps when framing the US Constitution that Jefferson's Quran (The one that Congressman Keith Ellison was sworn into office on) gave reinforcement to the universal ideal of freedom of religion as a God given right from Sharia.

Surah 2, Verse 256:

لَا إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ قَد تَّبَيَّنَ الرُّشْدُ مِنَ الْغَيِّ فَمَن يَكْفُرْ بِالطَّاغُوتِ وَيُؤْمِن بِاللَّهِ فَقَدِ اسْتَمْسَكَ بِالْعُرْوَةِ الْوُثْقَىٰ لَا انفِصَامَ لَهَا وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ

Translation: "Let there be no compulsion in religion: (Freedom of religion) Truth stands out clear from Error..."

Perhaps James Madison while studying the life of the Prophet Muhammad saw where he set forth in 622 the Treaty of Medina which proclaimed; the security of God is equal for all groups (including Jews), the people of other faiths have equal political and cultural rights as Muslims and that they will have autonomy and freedom of religion.

But America has been since her inception a mixed bag of contradictions just like each of us. She is guided by universal principles yet all to often falling victim to human frailties, creating two Americas, one of discrimination and one of freedom. While holding Africans in bondage proclaiming, “.....all men are created equal”. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr reminds us, “the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.” and the moral arc of America long and it bends toward freedom.

Fredrick Douglas in his damning yet hopeful critique delivered on July 5th, 1852 in Rochester, NY ‘The Meaning of July 4th for the Negro’. Douglas reminds us of the contradictions between the ideals and the reality of The Republic. Although, the toll of enslavement on the African remains unmeasured, slavery is over.

As a descendant of enslaved Africans, many of whom were Muslim, I recall that in over two hundred years of slavery Islam was systematically removed from my people until emancipation in1865. In the post Malcolm X era (1965); after one hundred years of freedom, Islam is among the fastest growing traditional religions in America. Faith flourishes in freedom.

Looking from time of her conception with all of her noble ideals and imperfections as an American Muslim I see hope in America. Yet our nation like the soul of man, can be the worst of creatures and those who have faith and follow it with deeds of righteousness they are the best of creatures (Quran 98:7)

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ أُولَٰئِكَ هُمْ خَيْرُ الْبَر

America remains a land where people can reinvent themselves. With all of her contractions then and now she remains the greatest nation on earth, not because of her wealth, military might or technological achievements but because of her universal embrace of freedom.

Happy Birthday America - Keep on growing.

You’re not getting older you’re getting better!

Imam Johari Abdul-Malik is the Director of Outreach at the Dar Al Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Virginia.

The Fourth of July: What does it mean to an American Muslim? - Guest Voices - The Washington Post

Muslims also has black African Muslim and non-Muslim slaves and Muslims bought and sold Muslim slaves.

Last edited:
So what is your point?

Both George Washington and Thomas Jefferson owned, bought and sold slaves.

But should be remembered as two of our Founding Fathers on this 4th of July

Not as slave traders

Last edited:
Sunni Man likes being the whipping boy. Not sure if that's good or bad. So, what's Christmas mean to a Muslim? Or Arbor day, or Guy Fawkes day? Common boy-o. Ya got all the answers we could ever want from a Muslim. Well, except for all those pesky ones, those nagging little tiny ones. Ones I won't bother with. Well, how about this: What separates Islam from all the other religious fantasies we human beings indulge in? Pure imaginative FICTION. Makes beautiful imagery, ever so evocative. A beautiful lie is preferable to an ugly truth. “There is no god but god.” They got the first part right.

If you quit whining about your ethnic origin Sunny you might appreciate America more. Every nation in the world has been enslaved at one time or another. Muslems sold Black natives to white slave traders. The English starved the Irish during the potato famine and when the poor starved wretches arrived in America they drafted them into the army to be used as cannon fodder. Muslems need to address the tyranny of modern Shria law and the carnage of the jihad before they start lecturing about freedom on the 4th of July.

If you quit whining about your ethnic origin Sunny you might appreciate America more. Every nation in the world has been enslaved at one time or another. Muslems sold Black natives to white slave traders. The English starved the Irish during the potato famine and when the poor starved wretches arrived in America they drafted them into the army to be used as cannon fodder. Muslems need to address the tyranny of modern Shria law and the carnage of the jihad before they start lecturing about freedom on the 4th of July.

What ethnic origin do you think that I represent?

As an American citizen it is my right and freedom to talk about 4 July.

And to celebrate it or critique it as I see fit. :cool:

You got a right to say it and I got a right to say you are full of crap.

I see nothing here to indicate Sunni wants to infringe upon anyone's rights.

Hell, he didn't even tell me not to eat pork just that he wasn't going to.

Happy 4th of July.

Who gives a fuck?

I do. If a man has enough love for this country to go halfway around the world to fight a war for her (which Sunni did, in Vietnam), then the way I see it, he has a right to talk about what America means to him, whether you or I agree with him, or not, and I've got a reason to at least hear what he has to say.

By Imam Johari Abdul-Malik

The Fourth of July has many meanings to this American Muslim. It is both a source of pride, disappointment of a dream deferred and the hope of fulfillment of a universal promise of freedom - Independence - and equality for all. History reminds us that on July 4th 1187 Sulahudeen Ayoubi liberated Jerusalem from the Crusaders and invited the expelled Jewish families to return to their homes in the Holy Land.

The Fourth of July brings to mind the Muslims who fought in the revolutionary war, such as Yusuf Ben Ali, also known as Joseph (Benenhali) Benhaley. His name appeared in the 1790 census of Sumter County, SC or Bampett Muhamed who was a Corporal in the Revolutionary Army or Sergeant Francis Saba, sergeant and Fifer Joseph Saba who served with the Continental Troops.

Let us not forget that in 1777 Morocco, A Muslim country, was the first to recognize the United States as an independent nation. Independence Day reminds me that I am freer to practice Islam in America than in most so-called Muslim countries. America continues to be a beacon of freedom for the people of Tunisia, Egypt, Libya, Ivory Coast, Yemen and Syria.

As an American Muslim I can’t help but wonder if perhaps when framing the US Constitution that Jefferson's Quran (The one that Congressman Keith Ellison was sworn into office on) gave reinforcement to the universal ideal of freedom of religion as a God given right from Sharia.

Surah 2, Verse 256:

لَا إِكْرَاهَ فِي الدِّينِ قَد تَّبَيَّنَ الرُّشْدُ مِنَ الْغَيِّ فَمَن يَكْفُرْ بِالطَّاغُوتِ وَيُؤْمِن بِاللَّهِ فَقَدِ اسْتَمْسَكَ بِالْعُرْوَةِ الْوُثْقَىٰ لَا انفِصَامَ لَهَا وَاللَّهُ سَمِيعٌ عَلِيمٌ

Translation: "Let there be no compulsion in religion: (Freedom of religion) Truth stands out clear from Error..."

Perhaps James Madison while studying the life of the Prophet Muhammad saw where he set forth in 622 the Treaty of Medina which proclaimed; the security of God is equal for all groups (including Jews), the people of other faiths have equal political and cultural rights as Muslims and that they will have autonomy and freedom of religion.

But America has been since her inception a mixed bag of contradictions just like each of us. She is guided by universal principles yet all to often falling victim to human frailties, creating two Americas, one of discrimination and one of freedom. While holding Africans in bondage proclaiming, “.....all men are created equal”. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr reminds us, “the arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends towards justice.” and the moral arc of America long and it bends toward freedom.

Fredrick Douglas in his damning yet hopeful critique delivered on July 5th, 1852 in Rochester, NY ‘The Meaning of July 4th for the Negro’. Douglas reminds us of the contradictions between the ideals and the reality of The Republic. Although, the toll of enslavement on the African remains unmeasured, slavery is over.

As a descendant of enslaved Africans, many of whom were Muslim, I recall that in over two hundred years of slavery Islam was systematically removed from my people until emancipation in1865. In the post Malcolm X era (1965); after one hundred years of freedom, Islam is among the fastest growing traditional religions in America. Faith flourishes in freedom.

Looking from time of her conception with all of her noble ideals and imperfections as an American Muslim I see hope in America. Yet our nation like the soul of man, can be the worst of creatures and those who have faith and follow it with deeds of righteousness they are the best of creatures (Quran 98:7)

إِنَّ الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا وَعَمِلُوا الصَّالِحَاتِ أُولَٰئِكَ هُمْ خَيْرُ الْبَر

America remains a land where people can reinvent themselves. With all of her contractions then and now she remains the greatest nation on earth, not because of her wealth, military might or technological achievements but because of her universal embrace of freedom.

Happy Birthday America - Keep on growing.

You’re not getting older you’re getting better!

Imam Johari Abdul-Malik is the Director of Outreach at the Dar Al Hijrah Islamic Center in Falls Church, Virginia.

The Fourth of July: What does it mean to an American Muslim? - Guest Voices - The Washington Post

:eusa_whistle:
Gregorian calendar, also called New Style Calendar , solar dating system now in general use. It was proclaimed in 1582 by Pope Gregory XIII as a reform of the Julian calendar.

By the Julian reckoning, the solar year comprised 365 1/4 days; the intercalation of a “leap day” every four years was intended to maintain correspondence between the calendar and the seasons. A slight inaccuracy in the measurement (the solar year comprising more precisely 365 days, 5 hours, 48 minutes, 45.25 seconds) caused the calendar dates of the seasons to regress almost one day per century.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/245469/Gregorian-calendar

You know, I find it disturbing that so many of you have posted in here attacking Sunni, yet you have said little to nothing about what America's Birthday means to YOU. That's a shame, because July 4 is a day, not just for fireworks and celebrations; but also a time to reflect on the meaning of that day two hundred and thirty-five years ago, when a relatively small group of men in a backwater colony of Great Britain put their signatures on that piece of parchment. Today, we forget what a shockingly audacious act it was, for thirteen small colonies, most of the population of which lived within 50 miles of the coast, to unilaterally declare independence from the Crown of the most powerful empire on earth, much less to attempt to found a nation on the novel idea that "All men are created equal....". A wild, impossible dream, with little more than a rabble for an army, and small boats for a navy to back it up; the signers of that document had a better chance of ending their days on a British gallows, than ever seeing their dream become reality - and yet, somehow they succeeded.No one could have imagined, on that day in 1776, that over two centuries later that infant nation would span a continent, and become the mightiest nation on the globe, one that would become a beacon of hope and liberty that would inspire countless millions around the world.

That nation, like the men who founded her, was not and is not perfect. Sometimes, I believe we make too much of that today. Some of us want to pretend that America has no flaws; others seem to want to see only the blemishes on her history. Both miss the point. It may have taken two centuries to fully realize the promise embodied in that declaration, but slowly, sometimes painfully, we have done so more and more. That fledgling nation came up with a constitution that has stood the test of time; though it took us a long time to redeem the promises of that document, that too has largely been done. America has stumbled and bungled her way along, many times, but through it all, she has become stronger, not weaker; better, not worse. She's had her share of villainy, but she's had her share of selfless nobility too.

We as a people, have had our share in it all. Other nations were built by aristocrats; we're a nation of mutts, many of our ancestors the rejects of other nations, but America is a place where anyone, from anywhere, can rise from nothing to greatness with enough brains, tenacity, and hard work. That has sometimes produced the worst sort of greed, excess, and envy; it has also produced brilliance, and achievement found nowhere else. We have our critics, at home and abroad. Some say we're too loud, too brash, too sure of ourselves, and sometimes we are; but in some of those nations that are supposedly nicer, people want to leave; here, we have half the world beating on the door, trying to get in. We must be doing something right.

America has come so far, so fast, that sometimes we seem guilt-ridden over our own success. We need not be. Sure, we need to take a hard, cold look at ourselves from time to time, but we don't need to be consumed with self-doubt. We are where we are, because we as a nation were willing to dream big, and act big, and think big. You tell a lot of people around the world, "It can't be done" and they'll believe you; you tell an American "it can't be done, and he'll answer, "Why the hell not?" Some call that arrogance; I call it the kind of guts it took to sign that declaration in 1776! I'll tell you something else; we have our share of whiners, naysayers, and complacent folks who leave the hard tough jobs to someone else; but what we also have, is a lot of other people who gladly pitch in, pick up the slack, and get the job done. That's all generations of us too. Sometimes we older folks despair of our youth, but down in Tuscaloosa, Alabama we have a bunch of college students spending their summer vacation rebuilding their college town, after a tornado leveled half of it. We're pretty resilient, too; a town in Kansas got wiped out by a twister. It was just a little place and the people could have just left, but they rebuilt, only to have another twister level it again the next year. Quit and move on? Not them; they rebuilt it again, better than before. I keep hearing how other countries are getting ahead of us; how their kids are smarter and better educated. I heard that years ago, too; but tell me how many of those countries have put a man on the moon? How many have given the world the advances in science and medicine we have?

I keep hearing how selfish and greedy America is, but you find me another nation as generous, at home and abroad. Let a disaster happen on the other side of the world, and we'll be there to help, just like we have been time after time before. It's not because we expect something in return, either. Haiti is so poor it has nothing to offer us, and yet, when an earthquake struck, Americans not only sent money and supplies; a surprising number volunteered their time to go there and do what they could to help. Some selfishness! I hear how other countries hate us, and maybe their governments do, but the people remember what America did for them, and they appreciate it. Some say our military brutalizes other countries; well, why is it I see our soldiers write home, asking not for things for themselves, but for everything from school supplies to soccer balls for the local kids? No one ordered them to do that, they did it and they still do it, because that's what Americans do. You know, there are towns in Europe we bombed, shelled and fought through, where every year the locals put flowers on the monuments to the American soldiers who liberated them; ask those people what nasty "imperialists" we are.

We're so free, that we often take freedom for granted. We're free to say and do things that would get us a prison sentence or worse in most nations. We're free to burn the flag, oppose our government, insult the politicians, free to spread filth, or even hatred. Things are said every day on this board, that would get us locked up elsewhere, even in the "social democracies" of Europe. We have had that liberty, and continue to have it, only because good people have risked and endured suffering, ridicule, and even given their lives, both here, and abroad, to preserve it, and protect it. Most of us don't realize how precious a gift that freedom is, until we have to fight for it, or go someplace where there is no freedom. America sure looks good, when you come back to her from that.

America is still a work in progress, and sometimes we don't get it quite right, but we keep trying anyway. Too many Americans are still living in poverty, and homelessness, too many kids still go hungry, and too often, even our system of justice doesn't work like it ought to. There's too much selfishness, and self-indulgence, and some of our popular culture these days is downright poisonous. We still fight too much among ourselves. Some of us don't believe the government can do anything, and some others want the government to do everything-both are wrong. Too many of us stand for nothing, and fall for anything. Some file lawsuits like they were playing the lottery, and others have lost any sense of being responsible for anything they do, no matter how stupid, or even downright criminal. Too many of us spend too much time trying to figure out who to blame for what we don't like, and not nearly enough time actually trying to make it right. None of those problems are trivial, but I'll take them over the problems most of the world has, any day. I'll take them, because for every parasite, abuser, do-nothing, and jerk, there are many more Americans out there every day being quiet heroes, doing the little things and the big things to make this society better. Most of us never hear about them, or give what they do a second thought, but they're there just the same.

So I love America, shortcomings and all. I love her, unashamedly, and I'll go on loving her, until they put her flag on my coffin. For all her faults, she is still the best, brightest, and noblest attempt at a nation with liberty and justice for all that mankind has managed to produce, and that is still a thing worth celebrating, on this Independence Day. Happy Birthday, America!

Last edited:
Who gives a fuck?

I do. If a man has enough love for this country to go halfway around the world to fight a war for her (which Sunni did, in Vietnam), then the way I see it, he has a right to talk about what America means to him, whether you or I agree with him, or not, and I've got a reason to at least hear what he has to say.

Of course he has that right. I applaud his ability to display his hatred towards Jews... and his ability to display his rabid hatred for non-Muslims, despite that they are his fellows Americans.

Fighting for your country does not make anyone above criticism. Sonny Boy is a hate filled anti-semite. I would not wish to silence him.... I prefer these bastards out in the open, where people can see them for who they really are.

Yesterday after the evening prayers at the mosque there was a little bit of controversy.

A Muslim from Bangladesh stood up and said he wanted to remind everybody that there is a big fireworks display downtown on 4 July. Then another Muslim spoke up and that he did not think Muslims had any business being there Because there would be a lot of drinking and women who were not dressed modestly.

He responded by saying that "yes everyone should go and take their children to see the fireworks display." " Just to show that we as Muslim Americans support America by our presents on the 4th "

He told them as long as it did not violate any Islamic rules then they should participate in every American celebration or event. He then went on to talk about how all three of his children were born in America . And were being raised to be loyal and patriotic Americans and need to experience the fullness of what being an American means.

Many of us give lip service to the concept of our nation being a melting pot.

But I was privileged to see this melting pot theory in action.

Happy 4th of July :eusa_angel:

Yesterday after the evening prayers at the mosque there was a little bit of controversy.

A Muslim from Bangladesh stood up and said he wanted to remind everybody that there is a big fireworks display downtown on 4 July. Then another Muslim spoke up and that he did not think Muslims had any business being there Because there would be a lot of drinking and women who were not dressed modestly.

He responded by saying that "yes everyone should go and take their children to see the fireworks display." " Just to show that we as Muslim Americans support America by our presents on the 4th "

He told them as long as it did not violate any Islamic rules then they should participate in every American celebration or event. He then went on to talk about how all three of his children were born in America . And were being raised to be loyal and patriotic Americans and need to experience the fullness of what being an American means.

Many of us give lip service to the concept of our nation being a melting pot.

But I was privileged to see this melting pot theory in action.

Happy 4th of July :eusa_angel:

:lol: That's some funny shit..... melting pot....:lol::lol: Weren't you the one who wanted all Jews rounded up and shipped off to some island somewhere.... for their own protection.

Muslim, maybe.... hypocrite definitely.

Forum List

Back