Four-day working week and six-hour shifts to be introduced in Finland

Finland’s new Prime Minister wants to introduce a four-day working week. Sanna Marin, 34, says an extra day off and six-hour days will allow the public to spend more time with their families and on hobbies.

In my opinion, it is a very good idea.

And your opinion has how much value?
I'm gonna guess and say not enough to make up for a 24 hr work week.
I gotta think you live at home with the rents and never tried to make ends meet with a forty hour work week.

The finances of it will make or break it. Personally I would love to do so as I have a lot of stuff I want to do but as I run my own company I cant see my boss allowing it.

I suspect it may be offered as an option rather than as a dictat. I see it as a visionary thing, a signpost to a better life.

Four-day working week and six-hour shifts to be introduced in Finland | Metro News

Finland’s new Prime Minister wants to introduce a four-day working week. Sanna Marin, 34, says an extra day off and six-hour days will allow the public to spend more time with their families and on hobbies.

The proposal from Ms Marin – the world’s youngest sitting prime minister – follows the lead of Scandanavian neighbour Sweden, where a six-hour working experiment began in 2015.

According to the New Europe newspaper, she said: ‘I believe people deserve to spend more time with their families, loved ones, hobbies and other aspects of life, such as culture. ‘This could be the next step for us in working life.’

I would love to see this work but I can envisage many places where it would be difficult to implement. The work/life balance is out of kilter in modern society and needs tweaking. We are worse off than our parents were despite the sexy gadgets we all have.

What would you do with your extra day off?

Easy solution....cut taxes on all income.....this way people will have more money when they work and they won't have to have two people in the home working........

Also, what business is it of the government to mandate how many hours people can work...? If a business wants a 4 day work week, fine....but the government has no business ordering it......

Four-day working week and six-hour shifts to be introduced in Finland | Metro News

The proposal from Ms Marin – the world’s youngest sitting prime minister – follows the lead of Scandanavian neighbour Sweden, where a six-hour working experiment began in 2015.

According to the New Europe newspaper, she said: ‘I believe people deserve to spend more time with their families, loved ones, hobbies and other aspects of life, such as culture. ‘This could be the next step for us in working life.’

I would love to see this work but I can envisage many places where it would be difficult to implement. The work/life balance is out of kilter in modern society and needs tweaking. We are worse off than our parents were despite the sexy gadgets we all have.

Won't work in a growing economy like we have here in America. Every hand is needed, more days off isn't needed.

Now, if we were to elect a lib in 2020, our economy will plummet and that idea will have a lot more merit.

I would be for a four day work week. Many studies have shown that four ten hour work weeks are much more productive than five eight hour days. You would save in transportation costs also. We would see an uptick in second home purchases if people had three day week ends. I know that back when I did not work on the lake I would have made it there much more often than what i was able to while five six days a week.

Here’s something you’ll never hear from someone on their death bed:

“I wish I spent more time at the office.”

I run fishing charters for a living now. I pretty much do the same thing with my time off as I do working. I look forward to getting to the office.

I have always seen myself as a hard working individual. But I have observed folk turn their job into some kind of religion, virtually living the job 7 days a week. Its ok if you love your work but you shouldnt do it if you think it will get you appreciated. You are just a cog in the machine.

I have always seen myself as a hard working individual. But I have observed folk turn their job into some kind of religion, virtually living the job 7 days a week. Its ok if you love your work but you shouldnt do it if you think it will get you appreciated. You are just a cog in the machine.

The question for those who claim to love their work is “would you do it for free?”

If the answer is no, then you don’t love you work, you merely tolerate it.

The question for those who claim to love their work is “would you do it for free?”

I have had jobs I enjoyed more than others....but I expected paying for all of them.

Then does anyone "love" their work?

Just because a person wouldn't do it "for free" doesn't mean that some people don't dedicate their lives to a pursuit, whereas others do naught but the bare minimum they have to to earn a paycheck.

Would anyone join the military or serve in combat "for free"?

Many "low wage jobs", at least for most people particularily in a "service economy" are not particularily physically or mentally demanding; the primary source of disgruntledness is that the work is "too easy", not that it's demanding in the way that "higher level" work or academic pursuits are.

Of course, there are exceptions, such as mining and whatnot, but those types of jobs are a small minority of modern economies.

Forum List

Back