Four-day working week and six-hour shifts to be introduced in Finland

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Four-day working week and six-hour shifts to be introduced in Finland | Metro News

Finland’s new Prime Minister wants to introduce a four-day working week. Sanna Marin, 34, says an extra day off and six-hour days will allow the public to spend more time with their families and on hobbies.

The proposal from Ms Marin – the world’s youngest sitting prime minister – follows the lead of Scandanavian neighbour Sweden, where a six-hour working experiment began in 2015.

According to the New Europe newspaper, she said: ‘I believe people deserve to spend more time with their families, loved ones, hobbies and other aspects of life, such as culture. ‘This could be the next step for us in working life.’

I would love to see this work but I can envisage many places where it would be difficult to implement. The work/life balance is out of kilter in modern society and needs tweaking. We are worse off than our parents were despite the sexy gadgets we all have.

What would you do with your extra day off?

This will depends on how my revenue will change. If now I will work 24 hours a week except of 40 hours and my salary will decrease accordingly, then I will have to find an extra job.

This will depends on how my revenue will change. If now I will work 24 hours a week except of 40 hours and my salary will decrease accordingly, then I will have to find an extra job.
Ive been trying to go 4 days for a couple of years now but something always comes up to make me put it off.

Four-day working week and six-hour shifts to be introduced in Finland | Metro News

Finland’s new Prime Minister wants to introduce a four-day working week. Sanna Marin, 34, says an extra day off and six-hour days will allow the public to spend more time with their families and on hobbies.

The proposal from Ms Marin – the world’s youngest sitting prime minister – follows the lead of Scandanavian neighbour Sweden, where a six-hour working experiment began in 2015.

According to the New Europe newspaper, she said: ‘I believe people deserve to spend more time with their families, loved ones, hobbies and other aspects of life, such as culture. ‘This could be the next step for us in working life.’

I would love to see this work but I can envisage many places where it would be difficult to implement. The work/life balance is out of kilter in modern society and needs tweaking. We are worse off than our parents were despite the sexy gadgets we all have.

Is she advocating a 24 hour work week with pay equivalent to a full work week? The article references the UK Labor Party proposing reduced hours at full pay and it also says her 24 hour program "Will be expensive". It's not clear to me what she is proposing.

6 hour day?
Yeah right.
We would get very little done and customers would be waiting for their new house another 3 months after waiting 6 months already to start it. Housing is booming and there is a huge shortage of labor.
I typically work 6 days a week for overtime so I can afford the things I want.

Fucking millennials...

Ooooo... adulting is haaard... I need an extra day off and a shorter work day...

Bunch of pussies.

Isn't that under the delegation of the employers and their private employment contracts, not the state?

Or is the state requiring companies to implement this?

As far as the reality in America goes, the myth of the "Puritan work ethic" is of course a lie; and serious employers of course know that "working hours" and time spent on the clock doesn't correlate to productivity. Only some top CEOs and executives who voluntarily work 90 hours weeks, or extreme cases such as individuals below the poverty line working multiple jobs to support children. "John Buyan" was not the average Puritan, he was an exemplar, the "average" person in Puritan England was not an exceptional individual of particularly good morality, character, work ethic, or otherwise.

And from what I've seen, the average American takes little to no pride in his work, not possessing anything resembling a "good" work ethic or sense of morality, probably willing to dump his employer in a heartbeat if he won the lottery.

Fucking millennials...

Ooooo... adulting is haaard... I need an extra day off and a shorter work day...

Bunch of pussies.
Bogus. Their are entrepreneurial minded millennials - I'm an entrepreneur myself, and probably in the top 1% percentile in terms of language and IQ.

Some of them are lazy and dependent and I never respected them, but they learned it from their overprotective boomer parents, who were never particularly good role models themselves.

Go to work.

More side jobs in my shop =work

The most valuable commodity we have is time.

Which is why you should do work that you enjoy doing! This kind of legislation is for people that really don't like their jobs. Hey...I've got a novel concept!!! If you don't like what you do so much that you can't wait to leave...GET ANOTHER JOB DOING SOMETHING ELSE!!!

Finland's GDP growth in 2017 was 2.8% on much smaller, more easily controlled economy. <ore power to them. Not happening here. We have our own problems, and 6 hr day/ 4 day week will not help and most people do not get what the "deserve".

In my opinion, it is a very good idea.

So you would be able to make a living working 24 hours a week?

Forum List

Back