Four black men accused of 1949 rape of white woman in Florida are pardoned...

Probably wasn't raped. Probably?

It doesn't matter if the doctor said "probably". How is a doctor's conclusion withheld from a trial?
It's not relevant to the case.

A doctor's examination isn't relevant to a rape case? I guess the alleged victim says she's raped, and the doctor says, "Sounds legit." That's medical jargon, by the way.
No it is not relevant if the do not find any obvious signs of rape. It's only relevant if the doctor finds injuries.

It's relevant either way, to corroborate or dispute the allegation.

This is Captain Obvious stuff right here.

It doesn't matter if the doctor said "probably". How is a doctor's conclusion withheld from a trial?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, because a doctor examining for signs of rape isn't relevant to a rape case.
What fucking "signs of rape" are you even talking about?

Do you even have a clue what rape means? Because after the last few posts it appears you're either deliberately playing stupid or snorting Drano.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, because a doctor examining for signs of rape isn't relevant to a rape case.
What fucking "signs of rape" are you even talking about?

Do you even have a clue what rape means? Because after the last few posts it appears you're either deliberately playing stupid or snorting Drano.
^^^

That's called projection.

A doctor's examination isn't relevant to a rape case? I guess the alleged victim says she's raped, and the doctor says, "Sounds legit." That's medical jargon, by the way.
No it is not relevant if the do not find any obvious signs of rape. It's only relevant if the doctor finds injuries.

It's a violent crime that was supposedly carried about by four men. Lack of injuries is relevant evidence.

>> The unanimous vote to pardon came almost two years after the state House and Senate voted to formally apologize to relatives of the Groveland Four and to ask then-Gov. Rick Scott to pardon the men. Scott, now a U.S. senator, never took action. DeSantis replaced Scott on Tuesday and made the pardons a priority. <<​

What an irony. Rick Scott monkeyed this up and needed DeSantis to fix it.

That’s partisan bullshit! This was fucked up at every step in the justice system. These boys were robbed of their lives, they are the victims. They were already dead for years before Scott was every involved. Sure, he could have pardoned them potshumously sooner, but it would have been of no consequence to the victims. And yes, the relatives of the victims are victims too. But they would have been victims whether the boys were guilty or not. The boys who were apparently railroaded, will never see any form of justice. But you go ahead and make your political point.....non-partisan my ass.

Four black men accused of 1949 rape of white woman in Florida are pardoned

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — After a dramatic, hour-long meeting that recalled events from nearly seven decades ago, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and the state's three-member Cabinet granted posthumous pardons Friday to four African-American men accused of raping a white woman in a 1949 case now seen as a racial injustice.

The case of the men known as the Groveland Four has been documented in a book and is considered a blight on Florida's history. One of the four was killed before he could be charged and the other three were convicted on dubious evidence.

The families of the men accused of the assault told DeSantis and the Cabinet — meeting as the clemency board — that there is overwhelming evidence the men were innocent and there was no rape. The woman who was 17 when she said she was raped, sat in a wheelchair and later told Gov. DeSantis and the Cabinet the rape did indeed happen, saying she was dragged from a car, had a gun put to her head and was told not to scream or they would "blow your brains out."

At one point, the two sides briefly clashed. Beverly Robinson, a niece of one of the Groveland Four, was speaking to the governor and the Cabinet when she turned to the woman and her sons.

"It never happened. You all are liars," Robinson said.

"That's enough out of you," the woman said.

"I know it's enough out of me. It's always enough when you're telling the truth," Robinson replied.

The unanimous vote to pardon came almost two years after the state House and Senate voted to formally apologize to relatives of the Groveland Four and to ask then-Gov. Rick Scott to pardon the men. Scott, now a U.S. senator, never took action. DeSantis replaced Scott on Tuesday and made the pardons a priority.

"I don't know that there's any way you can look at this case and think that those ideals of justice were satisfied. Indeed, they were perverted time and time again, and I think the way this was carried out was a miscarriage of justice," DeSantis said.

The ordeal began in Lake County in 1949, when the then-17-year-old said she had been raped. Three of the men were arrested and severely beaten; a fourth, Ernest Thomas, fled.

A posse of about 1,000 men was formed to hunt down Thomas. He was shot 400 times when they found him sleeping under a tree. White residents also formed a mob and went to a black neighborhood, burning houses and firing guns into homes in a disturbance that took days to quell.

Charles Greenlee, Walter Irvin and Samuel Shepherd were convicted by an all-white jury. Other evidence that could have exonerated them — such as a doctor's conclusion that the teen probably wasn't raped — was withheld at their trial. Greenlee was sentenced to life, and Irvin and Shepherd to death.

Thurgood Marshall, later the first African-American justice on the U.S. Supreme Court, took up Irvin and Shepherd's appeals for the NAACP, and in 1951 the U.S. Supreme Court ordered new trials.

Just before those trials began, Lake County Sheriff Willis McCall shot Irvin and Shepherd, claiming the handcuffed men tried to escape as he transferred them from prison to a jail. Shepherd died. Irvin was shot in the neck and survived despite an ambulance refusing to transport him because he was black. He was again convicted, even though a former FBI agent testified that prosecutors manufactured evidence against him.

Charges were never brought against any white law enforcement officers or prosecutors who handled the cases.

Irvin was paroled in 1968 and found dead in his car while returning to Lake County for a funeral a year later.

Greenlee was paroled in 1960 and died in 2012.

Greenlee's daughter, Carol Greenlee, told DeSantis and the Cabinet that there was overwhelming evidence that her father was innocent.

"He was accused, put in jail and tortured for something he didn't do," she said.

The woman who said she was raped disputed the families' stories.

"Y'all just don't know what kind of horror I've been through for all these many years," she said. "I don't want them pardoned, no I do not, and you wouldn't neither. I know (Robinson) called me a liar, but I'm not no liar."

Afterward, state Sen. Gary Farmer, who sponsored the 2017 resolution apologizing to the families, said the woman's comments were disappointing.

"She's now here at the end of her life and she had a chance to come clean, to seek forgiveness for herself and to support the justice these four families and these four men deserve," Farmer said. "It's very said that she lost this opportunity and continues to perpetuate this lie. This crime did not happen. The evidence is overwhelming."

And not a moment too soon. Ah, shit. They're all dead. :dunno:

Florida was ruled by Liberals back in the 1940's

Oh really. Was it now. :eusa_think:

Again ---- link? Names?

That was the period when Stetson Kennedy wrote an exposé about the Klan after he had infiltrated it, and had to flee to Europe over the backlash. Where were these "Liberals" protecting him?

, glad to see DeSantis cleaning up leftist crap.

Rick Scott? The hospital-corruption bald head guy, "leftist"?

Maybe you should stick with places you know. Like Poland.

It would have been great if Mr. Gillum and other prominent Democrats were to man up and take responsibility on the behalf of their ideology.

Dafuck does that mean?

POGO- am I mistaken, I thought you declared yourself to be politically unaffiliated? These black kids were railroaded, robbed of their lives, killed. And after their dead you claim it took a Democrat to clean up the mess by a Republican. That sounds pretty partisan to me. Why would you want to make this a political issue when all the perps and victims are either dead or inconsequential at this point. Trust me, you don’t want to know the political party controlling Florida when these injustices were carried out.

The victim was telling the truth and the rapists got delayed black privilege .

The country was a far different place in 1949.

In 1949, there WAS racism against blacks and it was very real and very systematic, especially in the area involved.

Just because most cries of racism today are bull shit, that doesn't mean there weren't serious problems 70 years ago.

Four black men accused of 1949 rape of white woman in Florida are pardoned

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — After a dramatic, hour-long meeting that recalled events from nearly seven decades ago, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and the state's three-member Cabinet granted posthumous pardons Friday to four African-American men accused of raping a white woman in a 1949 case now seen as a racial injustice.

The case of the men known as the Groveland Four has been documented in a book and is considered a blight on Florida's history. One of the four was killed before he could be charged and the other three were convicted on dubious evidence.

The families of the men accused of the assault told DeSantis and the Cabinet — meeting as the clemency board — that there is overwhelming evidence the men were innocent and there was no rape. The woman who was 17 when she said she was raped, sat in a wheelchair and later told Gov. DeSantis and the Cabinet the rape did indeed happen, saying she was dragged from a car, had a gun put to her head and was told not to scream or they would "blow your brains out."

At one point, the two sides briefly clashed. Beverly Robinson, a niece of one of the Groveland Four, was speaking to the governor and the Cabinet when she turned to the woman and her sons.

"It never happened. You all are liars," Robinson said.

"That's enough out of you," the woman said.

"I know it's enough out of me. It's always enough when you're telling the truth," Robinson replied.

The unanimous vote to pardon came almost two years after the state House and Senate voted to formally apologize to relatives of the Groveland Four and to ask then-Gov. Rick Scott to pardon the men. Scott, now a U.S. senator, never took action. DeSantis replaced Scott on Tuesday and made the pardons a priority.

"I don't know that there's any way you can look at this case and think that those ideals of justice were satisfied. Indeed, they were perverted time and time again, and I think the way this was carried out was a miscarriage of justice," DeSantis said.

The ordeal began in Lake County in 1949, when the then-17-year-old said she had been raped. Three of the men were arrested and severely beaten; a fourth, Ernest Thomas, fled.

A posse of about 1,000 men was formed to hunt down Thomas. He was shot 400 times when they found him sleeping under a tree. White residents also formed a mob and went to a black neighborhood, burning houses and firing guns into homes in a disturbance that took days to quell.

Charles Greenlee, Walter Irvin and Samuel Shepherd were convicted by an all-white jury. Other evidence that could have exonerated them — such as a doctor's conclusion that the teen probably wasn't raped — was withheld at their trial. Greenlee was sentenced to life, and Irvin and Shepherd to death.

Thurgood Marshall, later the first African-American justice on the U.S. Supreme Court, took up Irvin and Shepherd's appeals for the NAACP, and in 1951 the U.S. Supreme Court ordered new trials.

Just before those trials began, Lake County Sheriff Willis McCall shot Irvin and Shepherd, claiming the handcuffed men tried to escape as he transferred them from prison to a jail. Shepherd died. Irvin was shot in the neck and survived despite an ambulance refusing to transport him because he was black. He was again convicted, even though a former FBI agent testified that prosecutors manufactured evidence against him.

Charges were never brought against any white law enforcement officers or prosecutors who handled the cases.

Irvin was paroled in 1968 and found dead in his car while returning to Lake County for a funeral a year later.

Greenlee was paroled in 1960 and died in 2012.

Greenlee's daughter, Carol Greenlee, told DeSantis and the Cabinet that there was overwhelming evidence that her father was innocent.

"He was accused, put in jail and tortured for something he didn't do," she said.

The woman who said she was raped disputed the families' stories.

"Y'all just don't know what kind of horror I've been through for all these many years," she said. "I don't want them pardoned, no I do not, and you wouldn't neither. I know (Robinson) called me a liar, but I'm not no liar."

Afterward, state Sen. Gary Farmer, who sponsored the 2017 resolution apologizing to the families, said the woman's comments were disappointing.

"She's now here at the end of her life and she had a chance to come clean, to seek forgiveness for herself and to support the justice these four families and these four men deserve," Farmer said. "It's very said that she lost this opportunity and continues to perpetuate this lie. This crime did not happen. The evidence is overwhelming."

And not a moment too soon. Ah, shit. They're all dead. :dunno:

Florida was ruled by Liberals back in the 1940's

Oh really. Was it now. :eusa_think:

Again ---- link? Names?

That was the period when Stetson Kennedy wrote an exposé about the Klan after he had infiltrated it, and had to flee to Europe over the backlash. Where were these "Liberals" protecting him?

, glad to see DeSantis cleaning up leftist crap.

Rick Scott? The hospital-corruption bald head guy, "leftist"?

Maybe you should stick with places you know. Like Poland.

It would have been great if Mr. Gillum and other prominent Democrats were to man up and take responsibility on the behalf of their ideology.

Dafuck does that mean?

POGO- am I mistaken, I thought you declared yourself to be politically unaffiliated? These black kids were railroaded, robbed of their lives, killed. And after their dead you claim it took a Democrat to clean up the mess by a Republican. That sounds pretty partisan to me. Why would you want to make this a political issue when all the perps and victims are either dead or inconsequential at this point. Trust me, you don’t want to know the political party controlling Florida when these injustices were carried out.

Pogo is an independent to the exact degree that the Pope is irreligious.

The country was a far different place in 1949.

In 1949, there WAS racism against blacks and it was very real and very systematic, especially in the area involved.

Just because most cries of racism today are bull shit, that doesn't mean there weren't serious problems 70 years ago.
And in 1949 it was common practice for white Democrats to accuse black men of raping white women. The same holds true today.

A doctor concluded the woman probably wasn't raped at all, and the information was withheld from court. Even in 1949 that's some crazy shit. A doctor's conclusion withheld from court.

That is standard operating procedure for Mueller and h is assistant Weisman.

Why is it so bad when it happened years ago to black men, but no big deal when it happens today?

roflmao

All victims of rape must be believed unless the accused are minorities.

You need to learn the Identity Politics hierachy of victimhood to understand who is to be believed and when.

Last edited:
In 1949, there WAS racism against blacks and it was very real and very systematic, especially in the area involved..

There is still racism today, but the racism among minorities is ignored and denied for the most part while whites get their lives ruined for even simple misstatements.

There is nothing fair about it, nor is it meant to be fair.

The oligarchs want a tool to silence us when they want to and this is one.

Last edited:
A doctor concluded the woman probably wasn't raped at all, and the information was withheld from court. Even in 1949 that's some crazy shit. A doctor's conclusion withheld from court.

That is standard operating procedure for Mueller and h is assistant Weisman.

Why is it so bad when it happened years ago to black men, but no big deal when it happens today?

roflmao

What jury is Mueller withholding information from?

All victims of rape must be believed unless the accused are minorities.

You need to learn the Identity Politics hierachy of victimhood to understand who is to be believed and when.

During the Duke lacrosse case there was a thorough investigation, and the accused were exonerated. They became the victims, and the accuser will forever be known as a piece of shit. You don't see the difference between that, and four black men whose lives were forever ruined in 1949?

So what is this evidence these men were innocent? They had a second trial and were found guilty again.

Seems like a totally political move to give out a “pardon” this far beyond, when we really have no way of knowing. The woman still says she was raped.

#believeWomen ....#notSoMuch?

So what is this evidence these men were innocent? They had a second trial and were found guilty again.

Seems like a totally political move to give out a “pardon” this far beyond, when we really have no way of knowing. The woman still says she was raped.

#believeWomen ....#notSoMuch?

A doctor concluded that the woman probably wasn't raped, but the judge in the case wouldn't allow him to testify in court.

Two of the suspects claim they were drinking together that night. Another claimed he had never even met his fellow defendants.

All four claimed independently to have had their confessions coerced by beatings, and the prosecution wouldn't enter the confessions into evidence because of that. An FBI investigation concluded that injuries they sustained corroborated their story of being beaten.

The same deputy who allegedly tried to shoot one of the suspects was accused by a forensics expert of falsifying footprints. The same deputy was years later indicted for falsifying footprints in an unrelated case.

The same judge who presided over the first trial presided over the second trial.

During the Duke lacrosse case there was a thorough investigation, and the accused were exonerated. They became the victims, and the accuser will forever be known as a piece of shit. You don't see the difference between that, and four black men whose lives were forever ruined in 1949?
DA's have way too much power over the accused, is my point.

You can cherry pick cases all day if you want to make it look like white people never get the same abuse but it would be a lie.

Last edited:
What jury is Mueller withholding information from?

Mueller is currently witholding evidence from his defendants in the discovery part of his investigation, claiming it would compromise national security to let defendants see his evidence, and so he is only showing it to the judge. That is what just went to the SCOTUS and the SCOTUS ruled in Muellers favor.

Being able to see what evidence the state has against you is a fundamental right in our system of justice, unless you are the government, apparently.

Forum List

Back